AOTW

JohnS

Speaking of which isn't it time couw update the list of AOTWs? It only goes up to Oct 2nd.

Silent Tongues is good though I wonder what remains to be said about much-discussed figures like Cecil Taylor on the board. But maybe people will prove me wrong.... It's been a while since I listened to that one (only have it on vinyl).

I could do an AOTW at some point if it falls fallow again.  Not sure what I'd go for--perhaps Helen Merrill's disc with Clifford Brown ...

Yes, pleeeeaze! :wub:

Yeah it's a great one! (I keep on telling people that Brown's solos on this one are far more commanding than on the date with Sarah Vaughan--some real stunners, esp his solo on "Yesterdays" that references "Parker's Mood".) But I'd have to doublecheck the disc wasn't already discussed at length in the Merrill thread--I recall there's a pretty long & devoted Merrill thread here somewhere.

Anyway, now I'd better go dig out my vinyl of Silent Tongues.... is that Taylor's very first solo LP?

What about the shoulder tapping?

Wasn't that supposed to work that way?

It was.

Maybe its time to adopt the BFT signup method to the AOTW?

One advantage here might be that people could announce their future picks far enough in advance that people could have plenty of lead time to either give some listening to the album or get it in hand well in time for the discussion.

What about the shoulder tapping?

Wasn't that supposed to work that way?

It was.

Maybe its time to adopt the BFT signup method to the AOTW?

One advantage here might be that people could announce their future picks far enough in advance that people could have plenty of lead time to either give some listening to the album or get it in hand well in time for the discussion.

:tup

That is an advantage, for example I don't have this week's spontaneously chosen

"Silent Tongues". I'm sure I'm missing a good opportunity to study Taylor's music.

I haven't done this in a long time but I'll volunteer.  Just let me know when.

I'll be glad to volunteer too sometime in the next few weeks, if it makes easier for someone my choice will be "This is our music" by Ornette Coleman.

I don't want to be greedy since I did an AOTW earlier this year, but can someone (not necessarily me) nominate "Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants" for the week of Christmas Eve? It's the 50th anniversary of the Monk & Miles session and it would be cool to discuss it.

Guy

I like this thread. I'm happy to have a go at keeping things organised and running smoothly.

If there are no objections to me doing it those who have volunteered in this thread so so far will get first crack of the whip.

Edited by JohnS

Brad, I'm happy to do this, see above. John

My plan is to keep a master list going scheduling members for a few weeks ahead. Pming them a week before there are due to post. I'll start this week if there are no objections, kicking off with Nate Dorward on 14 Nov and Sidewinder on 21 November.

Edited by JohnS