What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Michael Burks at Pearl. A modest crowd at the best music venue in town--I quite enjoyed the previously unfamiliar to me blues guitarist leading a tight quartet (organ, bass and drums). Also featuring the usual show of women in scanty outfits and superhigh heels tottering by to go to the dance club down the block.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My recent travels led me to hear:

6/10 Bobby Watson & Curtis Lundy

Two days later I was in NYC:

6/12 Dave Brubeck Quartet

6/13 Junior Mance

6/14 Ayako Shirasaki at the JJA Awards

(I left to go to dinner, so I missed the remaining acts following the awards)

The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra

6/15 Dizzy Gillespie All Star Big Band (featuring Roy Hargrove, Jimmy Heath and

Roberta Gambarini, among others)

Now its back to months of no live jazz...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bill Barton

Last night it was Femi Kuti at the Showbox in downtown Seattle. Some sweaty dancing and righteous grooves... The show was much slicker and more Las Vegas-y than I expected but - damn! - what a TIGHT band. A very good time was had by all.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark Nightingale/Nigel Hitchcock Quintet at the Wigan Jazz Festival this afternoon

Saw virtuoso trombonist Nightingale last year when he was leading a Jay & Kai style two-trombone band, so didn't expect that this year he'd be heading a fusion outfit! Have to concede, though, that the level of musicianship was very high.

Mark Nightingale/Nigel Hitchcock Quintet at the Wigan Jazz Festival this afternoon

Saw virtuoso trombonist Nightingale last year when he was leading a Jay & Kai style two-trombone band, so didn't expect that this year he'd be heading a fusion outfit! Have to concede, though, that the level of musicianship was very high.

I'll be hopefully seeing Mark Nightingale in performance with Stan Tracey's Octet this weekend at Swanage. :)

I'll be hopefully seeing Mark Nightingale in performance with Stan Tracey's Octet this weekend at Swanage. :)

Busy time for both of them! Mark's playing in Stan's Big Band in Wigan tomorrow evening, and I'm going to see Stan's Quartet there the following afternoon.

I saw Ron Carter's Golden Striker Trio on Monday night at the New Morning in Paris, with Russell Malone and Mulgrew Miller. It's a fantastic group and they were on. Their arrangements, which I assume are Carter's, are great: memorable, deft, designed to leave space for real improvising. The only slight bummer was the sound: the bass was a little too bassy and the piano way too trebly, which I find inexcusable in a club. It was great to see Mulgrew Miller, and he was playing well, but that tinny sound was really too bad. Regardless, it was a joy to hear them.

Stan's playing twice at Swanage - with his Octet and trio. There's also Peter King with his Quartet, so some real good stuff on down there.

If only we'd been blessed with a Peter King visit!

Swanage is definitely worth checking out this year. The ubiquitous Alan Barnes as usual (premiering his 'Swanage Suite') plus interesting performers such as Back Door Too, Jim Hart Quartet, Keith Nichols, Liam Noble, Denys Baptiste, John Law, Gilad Atzmon, Dave Stapleton and Tina May - as well as Stan and Peter. A veritable cornucopia of UK jazz and right by the seaside too !

Looks like it's pretty well sold out:

Swanage Jazz

Edited by sidewinder

I saw Ron Carter's Golden Striker Trio on Monday night at the New Morning in Paris, with Russell Malone and Mulgrew Miller. It's a fantastic group and they were on. Their arrangements, which I assume are Carter's, are great: memorable, deft, designed to leave space for real improvising. The only slight bummer was the sound: the bass was a little too bassy and the piano way too trebly, which I find inexcusable in a club. It was great to see Mulgrew Miller, and he was playing well, but that tinny sound was really too bad. Regardless, it was a joy to hear them.

I saw that group at the Blue Note last fall and had a very positive reaction as well.

Stan's playing twice at Swanage - with his Octet and trio. There's also Peter King with his Quartet, so some real good stuff on down there.

If only we'd been blessed with a Peter King visit!

Swanage is definitely worth checking out this year. The ubiquitous Alan Barnes as usual (premiering his 'Swanage Suite') plus interesting performers such as Back Door Too, Jim Hart Quartet, Keith Nichols, Liam Noble, Denys Baptiste, John Law, Gilad Atzmon, Dave Stapleton and Tina May - as well as Stan and Peter. A veritable cornucopia of UK jazz and right by the seaside too !

Looks like it's pretty well sold out:

Swanage Jazz

Looks like Appleby of old!

A pity it wasn't a week later! It would be an ideal holiday jump-off point.

This afternoon at the Wigan Jazz Festival I saw a quintet under the leadership of the veteran American big band trumpeter, Bobby Shew, which also included Alistair White (trombone), David Newton (piano), Dave Green (bass) and Steve Brown (drums). What a contrast to the Stan Tracey Quartet yesterday when it was evident that members had been playing together for a very long time, so that everything was very predictable! Although Bobby emphasised at the outset that he'd played with each of the others before, he also admitted that they'd not thought of a programme for this afternoon. When he suggested a Latin number and asked for "Recorda Me", Alastair White (according to Bobby) typed it into his mobile to find the changes! In the event, the song broke down after a few bars, pianist and bassist failing to get it together during Bobby's initial statement of the melody! Unperturbed, he suggested "Blue Bossa" instead, which they managed very well. A very laid-back afternoon!

When he suggested a Latin number and asked for "Recorda Me", Alastair White (according to Bobby) typed it into his mobile to find the changes!

I love that!

How was Dave Newton. His solo sets were always high points at Appleby; that and the great jams they used to put on in the evening where he often held down the piano chair.

When he suggested a Latin number and asked for "Recorda Me", Alastair White (according to Bobby) typed it into his mobile to find the changes!

I love that!

How was Dave Newton. His solo sets were always high points at Appleby; that and the great jams they used to put on in the evening where he often held down the piano chair.

Newton was fine - the second time I've seen him at Wigan. Clear and interesting melodic lines. He also joins that legion of pianists I know on disc who sing along with their improvisations! Was very pleased to see Steve Brown in the flesh for the first time. I first knew him from a performance backing Junior Mance at Brecon which I taped from television a few years ago. Who is this drummer with compelling swing and great fill-ins, I wondered? A photo later gave me his name. Today the man himself! Have just been reading The Virgin Encyclopedia of Jazz on Bobby Shew, which charts his course from Las Vegas to Wigan!!! :lol:

Good performance last night at a sold out and packed Swanage by John Donaldson and his quartet - 'Tribute to Bheke Mseleku'. Lea DeLaria's band with Janette Mason on piano also went down very well. Coming up in a few hours time - Peter King Quartet.

Edited by sidewinder

Good performance last night at a sold out and packed Swanage by John Donaldson and his quartet - 'Tribute to Bheke Mseleku'. Lea DeLaria's band with Janette Mason on piano also went down very well. Coming up in a few hours time - Peter King Quartet.

Clearly something to look forward to! :tup

Predictably good Swanage performance by Peter King - I'd forgotten just how fast he runs through the keys. His band was stellar too - with Steve Melling, Geoff Gascoigne and Martin Drew. The evening show with Liam Noble (solo piano) and Stan Tracey's Octet was also fantastic. Stan is not to be missed at the moment - especially playing stuff like the 'Hong Kong Suite' which could almost have come from his 'big brass', such was the big sound that the trumpet/bone/3 saxes generated. That suite in particular (written for ex-Governor Chris Patten in the 1990s just before they pulled up the drawbridge) is well worth checking out.

Probably the most interesting music of the day that I heard was, strangely, the most sparsely attended. Dave Stapleton Quintet from Wales playing tunes from 'Between The Lines' - music that seems to have been influenced by Ran Blake/film noir, Eddie Henderson/Nucleusy jazz-rock and some of the methods of Graham Collier. Nice ! :tup

Logistics mean that I'll unfortunately miss Stan's trio gig this morning but hope to check out Colin Hodgekinson and 'Back Door Too' in a few hours time. And then to check out some Alan Barnes.

Edited by sidewinder

Probably the most interesting music of the day that I heard was, strangely, the most sparsely attended. Dave Stapleton Quintet from Wales playing tunes from 'Between The Lines' - music that seems to have been influenced by Ran Blake/film noir, Eddie Henderson/Nucleusy jazz-rock and some of the methods of Graham Collier. Nice ! :tup

Stapleton (always seems odd punching his name in!) seems to be one of those workaholic types - as well as playing, writing and (I think) teaching, he's put together a very professional label, drawing to it some marvellous current talent. I also like his determination to make his way from Wales rather than shifting to London. The previous record is worth getting too...marvellous guest vocal from Julie Tippetts at the end, doing a rare bluesy piece, something she is brilliant at. I believe Dave S. studied with Keith.

Re: Steve Melling - try and get to hear the title track of the New Jazz Courier's 'Brazilian Thoroughfare' - he does a particulary striking solo on that.

Edited by Bev Stapleton