What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tomorrow at Wigan Jazz Festival: Mark Nightingale and Alastair White: The Sound of Jay and Kai. Just been reading about it on britishtrombone society.org. Really looking forward to this!

Yes, it was a great gig! Have never heard those tremendous Jay and Kai arrangements played live before. Other material, too, from sources ranging from Terry/Brookmeyer to Alan Ganley. Two totally accomplished trombonists. Sat on the back row in the smallish room next to one-time British drum master, Eric Delaney, now aged 85!

Tomorrow at Wigan Jazz Festival: Mark Nightingale and Alastair White: The Sound of Jay and Sat on the back row in the smallish room next to one-time British drum master, Eric Delaney, now aged 85!

I have a DVD film of him somewhere shaking hands and chatting with Buddy Rich, from the front of the audience at a Rich London 'Talk of the Town' show around 1969 !

Tomorrow at Wigan Jazz Festival: Mark Nightingale and Alastair White: The Sound of Jay and Sat on the back row in the smallish room next to one-time British drum master, Eric Delaney, now aged 85!

I have a DVD film of him somewhere shaking hands and chatting with Buddy Rich, from the front of the audience at a Rich London 'Talk of the Town' show around 1969 !

This afternoon, when the local drummer wasn't too happy with a number in three, Eric was showing the way by slapping away from his seat on the back row! Just looked him up on youtube and got some clips from The Six Five Special. God, that brings back memories!

Guest Bill Barton

Yesterday was the Monktail Creative Music Concern's Sounds Outside free outdoor concert of adventurous music at Cal Anderson Park on Capitol Hill in Seattle. I was there from around 2:00 p.m. until almost 8:00 p.m. A beautiful afternoon/early evening of music! Moraine and The Washington Composers Orchestra were superb. The duo of Trey Gunn and Pat Mastelotto (of King Crimson fame) had its moments too. Also had a chance to chat with scenesters Alicia Allen, Beth Fleenor, Brian Heaney, Dennis Rea, Jim Dejoie and Reptet members Samantha Boshnack and Johnny E.

caught Dumstaphunk and Soulive this past Friday at Prospect Park in Brooklyn. Me and my friend took the bus there(parking is HORRIBLE around there!) and it had started raining earlier, sowe get off the bus and we spent about 45 minutes just standing around in a bus shelter with a couple of drunks and a couple of middle-aged women who looked rather proper.

We finally made our way to the venue and donned garbage bag ponchos(I was prepared) and stood in the rain with about 75 people. The concert finally started about 30 minutes late and Dumstaphunk came out on FIRE! They were extremely funky, and on some tunes they used two bass players. About halfway through their set the rain stopped and then the venue started to fill up with what looked like a jam band crowd and some of the worst dancing I've ever seen(Do they go together?)!. After a break Soulive came out and played a very energetic set with some special guests, John Scofield and Christian Scott. Scofield was very on, soloing frequently and very well. Christian Scott played some great trumpet, and there two saxophonists added also. Pretty good for what looked to be a drenched evening and the price was unbeatable- free!

Guest Bill Barton

...just returned from Gallery 1412. A great set of Music by Josh Sinton's Ideal Bread West...

Ideal Bread West

The Music of Steve Lacy

Josh Sinton : baritone saxophone

Eric Barber : tenor and soprano saxophone

Geoff Harper : bass

Paul Kikuchi : drums

Jack Ramsey - solo piano opened...

The trio with Harper and Kikuchi will be joined by various guests on the rest of their West Coast tour. Check 'em out if they're playing in your area. This was a fine evening of music!

Aug. 6

The Jazz Station

Eugene, Oregon

Aug. 8

The Jazz School

Berkeley, California

Aug. 9

The Shady Lady

Sacramento, California

Aug. 10

The Jazz School

Berkeley, California

Aug. 12

Bethel Lutheran Church

Portland, Oregon

Aug. 13

back in Seattle!

at Egan's Ballard Jam House

with Tom Varner

7:00 p.m. show

joshsinton.com

soon to begin, about a kilometer from where we live (but moving away then):

foto_0025.jpg

http://www.streetparade.ch/

the "boom boom boom" will likely go on until Sunday afternoon or so, but lucky enough for about the second or third time this has been going on (18 years, I think, but it started very small and funny), it's raining, he he :)

more seriously: Cecil Taylor & Tony Oxley - Strasbourg, Oct. 2, 2009 - very, very excited!