What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice Americana bill with a great first part by Buddy Miller and then Emmylou Harris. After a rough start she got into gear and a quite pleasant evening with a mix of her older songs, recent ones, a few classics either contemplative music or ones with more beat. Among the highlites the expected visit of the McGarrigle sisters who were there for a few songs and a bluegrass piece done a capella led by Emylou and three of the musician doing harmonies, absolutely georgous.

Guest Bill Barton

I never get to join in the fun here but I was on vacation and got to see Will Holshouser, Han Bennink and Michael Moore in Knoxville, TN last Thursday. Terrific.

I'm looking forward to hearing them Monday in Seattle! The Earshot Jazz Festival is in full swing and the amount of live music over the next few days is somewhat daunting...

Tonight I'm going to hear the Allen Toussaint Quartet at The Triple Door.

Toussaint and and co. rocked the house. It was interesting that he performed nothing from his recent The Bright Mississippi CD. The band was actually a quintet with electric bass, electric guitar, drums and multiple percussion. I'd been wanting to hear him live for a long, long time. I wasn't disappointed. The man has written so many great tunes and played on so many classic recordings... His version of "City of New Orleans" last night was the veritable definition of soul (one of the few songs in the set list that he didn't write.) The second set started late and I had to leave at 11:30pm to make it to the radio show on time, but I hung in there until almost the end, and it was groovin'.

3rd Man (Bennink, Moore & Holshouser) was exceptional. If ya'll were in Philly or Ann Arbor for their shows you'll probably be able to relate to that comment. Such joyful, exuberant, heartfelt music! I was blown away. Duke Ellington and Dewey Balfa doin' a tango. All Bennink needs are a couple of sticks and a couple of sets of brushes to be a one-man drum choir.

Tuesday night it's Trio M

Wednesday: Omar Sosa Afreecanos Quartet

Thursday: Matthew Shipp/Joe Morris & Peggy Lee/Saadet Turkoz

Friday: Myra Melford Be Bread

Saturday: probably Hal Galper @ Tula's if I'm still standing and have any $$$ left

Edited by Bill Barton

Well Bill, what a great line-up of music you have going. Nothing like that out here in the great Midwest.

As far as Bennink goes, he certainly is a great musician, as are the other two guys in my opinion. Michael Moore is a personal favorite for me. I found that I had to focus visually on Moore and Holshouser to really get into the music. My wife (who went to the concert because she loves me, instead of staying in the hotel and watching Grey's Anatomy) thinks that Bennink needs to have his meds adjusted. :D

Well Bill, what a great line-up of music you have going. Nothing like that out here in the great Midwest.

As far as Bennink goes, he certainly is a great musician, as are the other two guys in my opinion. Michael Moore is a personal favorite for me. I found that I had to focus visually on Moore and Holshouser to really get into the music. My wife (who went to the concert because she loves me, instead of staying in the hotel and watching Grey's Anatomy) thinks that Bennink needs to have his meds adjusted. :D

It's the same for jazz musicians everywhere. Jesper Thilo and his very creative quartet (Olivier Antunes - p, Bo Stief - b, Frands Rifbjerg - d) played their first set at Jazz Paradise for three of us, and played as if their lives depended on it. Thilo's group played straight-ahead bebop, but constantly listened and responded to each other at the highest level. Bo Stief deserves a medal for following Antunes' harmonic deviations at least 90% of the time. Thilo has a rich, beautiful sound - his low C's, B's, and B flats got to me on the ballads every time.

During the second set, the audience swelled to eight!

It's the same for jazz musicians everywhere. Jesper Thilo and his very creative quartet (Olivier Antunes - p, Bo Stief - b, Frands Rifbjerg - d) played their first set at Jazz Paradise for three of us, and played as if their lives depended on it. Thilo's group played straight-ahead bebop, but constantly listened and responded to each other at the highest level. Bo Stief deserves a medal for following Antunes' harmonic deviations at least 90% of the time. Thilo has a rich, beautiful sound - his low C's, B's, and B flats got to me on the ballads every time.

During the second set, the audience swelled to eight!

Right around 30 at the Third Man set I saw. And Miley Cyrus played to 10,000+ pre-teens in my town on a school night. I know nobody said the world was fair but come on. I was hoping the smiley function had one giving the finger.

Attending this tomorrow....

Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 3:00pm - 7:00pm

Rashied Ali Tribute

Muhammid Ali, drums

Grant Calvin Weston, drums

Cornell Rochester, drums

Henry Grimes, bass

Jamaaladeen Tacuma, bass

Amin Ali, bass

Ronnie Burrage, drums

James "Blood" Ulmer, el. guitar

Charlie Ellerbee, el. guitar

Juju Jones, drums

Umar Raheem, saxophone

Dave Burrell, piano

Alan Nelson, drums

Lamont "Napalm" Dixon, poetry

Pheralyn Dove, poetry

Stanley Crouch, jazz critic

Guest Bill Barton

They were f$#*ing awesome. Great show. Bennink w/2 sticks, 2 sets of brushes, a snare, and whatever he could find to strike or manipulate. He was sitting on a piano bench and it got the full treatment. Sitting in the front row directly in front of him I began to wonder whether he'd decide to check out the assorted timbres of audience members' heads, but it never happened... Ah, well, maybe next time. Brushes only for me, please, and not metal ones, okay? Personally, I'd say that his medications are JUST RIGHT. First time I'd had a chance to meet and talk with Han, who is about as down-to-earth a guy as you'll ever meet.

The Anne Drummond Quartet at The Triple Door last night (Monday) was superb too. She left Seattle before I moved here and I was totally unfamiliar with her music. Impressive player. Kick-ass band. Saudade. Sorrisos e abraços. Jovino Santos Neto! Compelling young female bassist whose name escaped me but I'll have to research it as she was tha shytt.

Missed the "double duos" show and Hal Galper...

Too much music and too little time (and/or $$$) :crazy:

Myra Melford Be Bread last Friday was lovely too. Her compositions never fail to reach me.

They were f$#*ing awesome. Great show. Bennink w/2 sticks, 2 sets of brushes, a snare, and whatever he could find to strike or manipulate. He was sitting on a piano bench and it got the full treatment. Sitting in the front row directly in front of him I began to wonder whether he'd decide to check out the assorted timbres of audience members' heads, but it never happened... Ah, well, maybe next time. Brushes only for me, please, and not metal ones, okay? Personally, I'd say that his medications are JUST RIGHT. First time I'd had a chance to meet and talk with Han, who is about as down-to-earth a guy as you'll ever meet.

The Anne Drummond Quartet at The Triple Door last night (Monday) was superb too. She left Seattle before I moved here and I was totally unfamiliar with her music. Impressive player. Kick-ass band. Saudade. Sorrisos e abraços. Jovino Santos Neto! Compelling young female bassist whose name escaped me but I'll have to research it as she was tha shytt.

Missed the "double duos" show and Hal Galper...

Too much music and too little time (and/or $$$) :crazy:

Myra Melford Be Bread last Friday was lovely too. Her compositions never fail to reach me.

You get to see more things in a week than I do in a year but the Third Man show was seriously one of the best I've ever seen. I hope they record this group.

I treated myself to Phil Woods' Quintet Saturday. It was wonderful and uplifting. The old man still sounds great----wisdom and health issues make him pace himself more these days, but it's vintage Phil Woods----with a great band and top-drawer writing and repertoire.

I can afford to go to the priceier joints maybe 2x yearly----and make sure it's something I'll remember. Last one was Benny Golson. Bless both those guys.

Edited by fasstrack

Last night caught the debut of my son Jacob's new band 1894 (no nepotism allowed, so I can't comment) and a guitar power trio -- the guitarist-vocalist's name I've forgotten but will find out, bassist Toby Summerfield, and drummer Frank Rosaly). Frank was fantastic -- incredible power and cohesiveness. I was told that the last time these guys had played these pieces was seven months ago; it sounded at times like Frank was playing from a score, albeit one co-written by Rodan and Godzilla.

Caught the Greg Waits Quartet featuring Jim Sangrey at the Scat Jazz Lounge last night. These guys were all sortsa in the pocket, grooves so thick you could feel your arteries hardening as they played! And dig their new bass player: right ON the beat! Much better than that last guy they had filling in for 'em last month (although, to be fair, I thought he missed the chance to echo Sangrey on the intro to "In a Mellow Tone" like that last guy did. That was really cool. Wonder whatever happened to him? :D )

Greg, Jim, you guys need to record this stuff. I'd buy it in a second. In fact, if there was some way I could record you guys at your next Sandaga gig, I'd do it.

Caught the Greg Waits Quartet featuring Jim Sangrey at the Scat Jazz Lounge last night. These guys were all sortsa in the pocket, grooves so thick you could feel your arteries hardening as they played! And dig their new bass player: right ON the beat! Much better than that last guy they had filling in for 'em last month (although, to be fair, I thought he missed the chance to echo Sangrey on the intro to "In a Mellow Tone" like that last guy did. That was really cool. Wonder whatever happened to him? :D )

Greg, Jim, you guys need to record this stuff. I'd buy it in a second. In fact, if there was some way I could record you guys at your next Sandaga gig, I'd do it.

Hope a recording happens. I'd buy one too.

Went to a performance tonight of eight numbers from the Birth of the Cool album by a student nonet at Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester. Great session! Without amplification in an acoustically perfect studio theatre with audience of about sixty. Very high level of musicianship, scores perfectly executed with brief, competent trumpet, alto and baritone solos; swung throughout. I've been listening to this music on record for fifty years and this is the first time I've heard it performed live. The presence of the tuba was much more noticeable than on record. So nice to see this adopted as part of the formal music education curriculum. I recall that when I first bought the album, the playing of jazz on the premises at that college was punishable by instant expulsion from the course! How far we've come!

Edited by BillF