What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Will see singer Susanne Abbuehl in a couple of hours, with her band plus special guest Michel Portal (I only realized he's playing, too, a couple of days ago!)

She's got two CDs out on ECM, the first of which I own, "April". She studied with Jeanne Lee and her approach to (jazz) singing is rather special, mostly or exclusively slow music (she calls it "rubato music" in an announcement from an October '06 concert recording I've heard). Songs either consist of jazz compositions she adds words to (by the likes of Carla Bley or Sun Ra), or of texts/poems/lines by the likes of e.e. cummings or James Joyce (it seems most of her second disc, "Compass", is built on "Finnnegan's Wake", but I don't have that disc yet), to which she adds the music.

http://www.susanneabbuehl.com/

I've seen here live at the same festival six years ago, when her career was just about to take off, the first ECM album just having been released. I'm quite happy to be able to catch her again!

susanne_abbuehl_01_cremona2006.jpg

Teatro Ponchielli - Cremona - 11.06.2006 - photo by Danilo Codazzi

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will see singer Susanne Abbuehl in a couple of hours, with her band plus special guest Michel Portal (I only realized he's playing, too, a couple of days ago!)

She's got two CDs out on ECM, the first of which I own, "April". She studied with Jeanne Lee and her approach to (jazz) singing is rather special, mostly or exclusively slow music (she calls it "rubato music" in an announcement from an October '06 concert recording I've heard). Songs either consist of jazz compositions she adds words to (by the likes of Carla Bley or Sun Ra), or of texts/poems/lines by the likes of e.e. cummings or James Joyce (it seems most of her second disc, "Compass", is built on "Finnnegan's Wake", but I don't have that disc yet), to which she adds the music.

I find Susanne a little bland and boring, a few tracks from her first cd where acceptable.

I was certainly not temtped to buy the new cd.

I also can't hear any Jeanne Lee influence, Jeanne was a jazz singer, I do not know

how to describe Susanne singing, she definetely does not have any blues in her.

On the other hand, last weekend I had the privilege to see Mary Stalling, the moment she opened her mouth you heard "JAZZ"

Her cd "Live at the Village Vanguard" is fantastic.

In 2 weeks time I will see the Pat Metheny trio with Christian McBride on bass, should be fun!

Edited by jazz1

I put "jazz" in parentheses exactly because of that... the live concert I saw and the others I've heard from recent years always seemed nice to me, thoughtful, slow music, and her voice I've always liked a lot, so...

On the other hand I'm not at all interested in contemporary jazz singers doing standards and mainstream stuff... different tastes here, I guess, but how boring it would be if that wasn't so!

I could catch Dr. Lonnie Smith for free tonight - should I go? Any good? He'll do two free sets with an outfit called "The Original Grooves": Martien Oster (g), Miguel Martinez (as), Gijs Dijkhuizen (d) - sounds like a dutch band with spanish alto sax player... none of the names are familiar to me... should I try and catch them?

Holy smokes! Smith was da shit, as they say!!!!!!!!

The band really got it together in the second (almost 90 minute! the first was more than an hour already) set. They did some standards (Sweet and Lovely, Willow Weep for Me, a beautiful alto feature Harlem Nocturne), the Beatles' Come Together in the funkiest ever version, and several Smith originals - great great music, loud and stinky as that kind of music ought to be! (I did some thinking and I'm quite sure Larry Goldings' Trio was the only organ group I've heard live before... now that was a whole different thing last night!)

You'll find it elsewhere in a week or two, if you know where to look!

Forgot to mention that after the Lonnie Smith concert, I got a free entrance ticket for the concert of Cuban pianist Roberto Fonseca - that was another great concert! I guess some might find his music a bit kitschy... influences (as I hear them) are Rubén Gonzalés, Abdullah Ibrahim, some mediterranean/arab/andalous stuff, and generally Cuban son and also Mexican bolero, I think. His quintet features the great Javier Zalba on saxophones (soprano & alto), clarinet and flute - it was a joy to see him play!

Tonight. Monday, November 5 | 8pm

TEST

DANIEL CARTER, alto + tenor sax/trumpet/flute/clarinet

SABIR MATEEN, alto + tenor sax/flute/clarinet

MATTHEW HEYNER, double-bass

TOM BRUNO, drums

Bodek Lounge, Houston Hall, University of Pennsylvania, 3417 Spruce Street

Free Admission

Wednesday, November 7 | 7pm

FAUST with live score by THE WILLEM BREUKER KOLLEKTIEF

(dir. FW Murnau, Germany, 1926, 115 mins, b/w, silent w/English intertitles)

with Frans Vermeerssen - saxophones / clarinet; Hermine Deurloo - saxophone,

harmonica; Maarten van Norden - saxophones; George Pancras - trumpet; Andy

Altenfelder - trumpet; Andy Bruce - trombone; Bernard Hunnekink - trombone,

tuba; Arjen Gorter - bass; Henk de Jonge - piano; and Rob Verdurmen -

percussion

:excited:

percussion

Wow, that shall be da shit, as they say!

At least i was able to hear the Burton Greene concert you heard thanks to that other site.... :tup

percussion

Wow, that shall be da shit, as they say!

At least i was able to hear the Burton Greene concert you heard thanks to that other site.... :tup

Oh thanks for the info on that Burton Greene show. I got to talk to Burton for about a 1/2 hour after the show. What a lovely guy.

The band really got it together in the second (almost 90 minute! the first was more than an hour already) set. They did some standards (Sweet and Lovely, Willow Weep for Me, a beautiful alto feature Harlem Nocturne), the Beatles' Come Together in the funkiest ever version, and several Smith originals - great great music, loud and stinky as that kind of music ought to be! (I did some thinking and I'm quite sure Larry Goldings' Trio was the only organ group I've heard live before... now that was a whole different thing last night!)

Yeah, the Turbanator knows how to put on a show. Last time I saw him (with Lou!) he got down on his knees and played the pedals with his hands. :lol:

Yeah, the Turbanator knows how to put on a show. Last time I saw him (with Lou!) he got down on his knees and played the pedals with his hands. :lol:

Yeah, he did that, too, on "Come Together" in the second set... hilarious! In fact his "bass" solo didn't include more notes that his usual, basic (but great!) bass lines, but it was a great show he put on!

Anyone going to see Sam Rivers this weekend in NYC??????

Sam is performing for Columbia University at the Marian Anderson Theatre

columbiaharlemjazzp roject"

150 Convent Ave @ 135th St, NYC

Saturday, November 10

Performance starts at 7:30 pm

"Music Visionary in 3 parts"

Interview at 7:30

Trio performance

Intermission

Rivbea Orchestra

Ticket Prices $10.00 Advance /$15.00 Door / $7.00 Students

Call for tickets 212-281-9240

Thought someone here would appreciate it, but last night attended this concert:

Chris Brown (piano, electronics)

India Cooke (violin, etc.)

Fred Frith (guitar)

Roscoe Mitchell (reeds)

Pauline Oliveros (accordion, electronics)

Zeena Parkins (electric harp, etc.)

William Winant (misc percussion)

One of the most surreal nights of my life. Studying directly with Ms. Parkins and Mr. Mitchell right now, and it's a real experience.