What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Funny story, Chuck!

He was in a great mood last night, obviously! He was scheduled to play for 75 minutes. He did so, then got a standing ovation, sat down for another 30 minutes, got a second standing ovation, and played a third set for yet 20 minutes more. It was a beautiful concert, with him largely staying away from his in-the-bag groove stuff. Very soft playing - I loved it! It took a while to take off, or rather for me to get into it, but once I was in, it was great!

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Going to see Abdullah Ibrahim solo tomorrow night!

That will be a very spiritual experience, for sure! Saw him two or three years ago, solo, and it was a great concert.

Hired him once for a festival gig. National broadcast, 10,000 fans waiting and the band stands for about 5 minutes in the wings. We nudge a band member and say "you have to go on". The guy says "the master is waiting for the planets to be in the correct spaces". An associate says, "Tell him the check won't clear unless he hits the stage now"! He was at the piano in 30 seconds. :ph34r:

That's how astrology works.

Tonight I heard Geri Allen's trio with bassist Kenny Davis and a young drummer named Kassa Overall. On most of the show they were joined by a very talented tap dancer. For me the tap dancer - although very good - was somewhat of a distraction. I came to hear Allen and it seemed like the dancer was given a lot of space - which most of the audience seemed to enjoy. When I was able to focus on Allen's playing she was her usual fantastic self.

I saw the same band three weeks ago Ron.

I felt the same way as you, although I guess it is brave on Allen's part to have a dancer as a real member of the band. A little pacing there would have gone a long way.

I saw Branford's band tonight and pacing was also a problem with too many long and somewhat meandering ballads.

Tain was great, as usual and kept things moving along and interesting. They played three of his (Tain's) compositions, one by Joey Calderazzo, a nice bass solo piece by Eric Revis, one by a 16th century composer and one by Paul Motion. No songs from the pen of Branford, who played...nice.

Friday it was Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings at First Avenue. Tonight it is Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys at The Cedar.

So, how was Sharon ?

She was wonderful. No Budos Band but the Dap Kings and her (at least the Dap Kings) were on stage for a solid two hours. The place was very packed. She said that it was the first show she had ever sold out.

When you saw her did she do James Brown songs for the encore?

BTW: Dr. Stanley was a treat tonight. He doesn't play banjo much (only one song) but the band and him were great. The highlights were Angel Band, Pretty Polly (my request), and Oh, Death

Friday it was Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings at First Avenue. Tonight it is Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys at The Cedar.

So, how was Sharon ?

She was wonderful. No Budos Band but the Dap Kings and her (at least the Dap Kings) were on stage for a solid two hours. The place was very packed. She said that it was the first show she had ever sold out.

When you saw her did she do James Brown songs for the encore?

BTW: Dr. Stanley was a treat tonight. He doesn't play banjo much (only one song) but the band and him were great. The highlights were Angel Band, Pretty Polly (my request), and Oh, Death

As i mentionned in the previous post, she did It's a man man man's world, in Montreal the show turned out to be a sold out, the last tickets were probably sold while the first set was going on.

Did she pace herself because with the level of energy she exhudes, i hardly can beleive that she was able to last two hours on stage.

Edited by Van Basten II

Tonight: Trio 3 here in Zurich (Oliver Lake-sax; Reggie Workman-bass; Andrew Cyrille-drums).

Same venue where the Swell/Ullmann Quartet played ten days ago with 13 people in the audience... I certainly hope the names of Lake, Workman and Cyrille will draw some more attention!

Excellent group to see live! :tup

Sorry to say I didn't find them convincing... mainly Lake, pretty uninteresting player, falling back on cliches too often, doing the overpowering high energy stuff, not building many coherent solos. Cyrille seemed tired but had a few good spots and generally played quite good. Workman was great, good sound (although pick-up > amp) and his solo spot (they did three solos towards the end) was beautiful. Also, contrary to Cyrille (disinterested) and Lake (arrogant, at least that's what he seemed to be, not only to me but also to a few friends who where there), Workman was projecting warmth and joy while on stage.

Will see Trio 3 again on Saturday... haven't given up hope quite yet even more so after getting some flak over in another thread. This time they'll play at the Unerhört festival and Irene Schweizer will play with them!

PROGRAMM AM SAMSTAG, 20 UHR, Clubraum – Rote Fabrik

Yves Reichmuth FRACTAL

Yves Reichmuth guitar, composition | Lucien Dubuis bassclarinet, contrabassclarinet | Jonas Tauber bass | Lionel Friedli drums

Lucas Niggli ZOOM

Lucas Niggli drums | Nils Wogram trombone | Philipp Schaufelberger guitar

Oliver Lake – Reggie Workman – Andrew Cyrille feat. Irène Schweizer

Oliver Lake alto & sopranino saxophones | Irène Schweizer piano |

Reggie Workman bass | Andrew Cyrille drums

On sunday then:

PROGRAMM AM SONNTAG, 19 UHR, Jazzclub Moods

Oliver Lake – Christian Weber – Dieter Ulrich

Oliver Lake alto-, sopranino saxophones | Christian Weber bass

Dieter Ulrich drums

Reggie Workman Solo

Reggie Workman bass

Brötzmann – Pliakas – Wertmüller

Peter Brötzmann saxophon, clarinet | Marino Pliakas e-bass

Michael Wertmüller drums

Zoom, Schweizer, Workman and Brötz are the main interest, but I'll gladly let myself surprise by Lake this time! And Lucien Dubuis, who's part of the first band that appears on Saturday, he's great, too!

I attended the Maria Schneider Orchestra's Boston debut last night.

Underwhelming, to say the least.

Care to elaborate further?

I'd only heard one or two things of hers before attending the concert and I was underwhelmed because I guess I expected something more given all of the hype she gets. Impressive musicianship and inventive arranging, but her melodies, if you can call them that, don't stick at all, so it felt like a lot of decoration and little substance. A lot of it sounded like film music to me. And I am not a fan of that pastoral, mid-Western, hymnal, Methenyish vibe that most of her music has. It doesn't swing but more flows and glides. It's very airy and sometimes watery sounding. Any traces of fire or earth came from the soloists. I did like some of the soloists, especially Donny McCaslin, Rich Perry, Steve Wilson, and Ryan Keberle. Drummer Ted Poor was impressive. I've enjoyed Frank Kimbrough a lot more in other settings. I did like the tune "Choro Dancado" quite a bit. The syncopated Cuban rhythm seemed to focus the piece, and it had a darker harmonic palette most of the others. But overall, just not my cup of tea.

I attended the Maria Schneider Orchestra's Boston debut last night.

Underwhelming, to say the least.

Care to elaborate further?

I'd only heard one or two things of hers before attending the concert and I was underwhelmed because I guess I expected something more given all of the hype she gets. Impressive musicianship and inventive arranging, but her melodies, if you can call them that, don't stick at all, so it felt like a lot of decoration and little substance. A lot of it sounded like film music to me. And I am not a fan of that pastoral, mid-Western, hymnal, Methenyish vibe that most of her music has. It doesn't swing but more flows and glides. It's very airy and sometimes watery sounding. Any traces of fire or earth came from the soloists. I did like some of the soloists, especially Donny McCaslin, Rich Perry, Steve Wilson, and Ryan Keberle. Drummer Ted Poor was impressive. I've enjoyed Frank Kimbrough a lot more in other settings. I did like the tune "Choro Dancado" quite a bit. The syncopated Cuban rhythm seemed to focus the piece, and it had a darker harmonic palette most of the others. But overall, just not my cup of tea.

Methenyish? Sounds positively Eno-ish.

I had typed up a long post about last night's concerts at the Unerhört Festival, it got lost after I hit "add reply", effin' sucks! I don't feel like typing up all the b-s again, it's such a pain to tranlate all of these adjectives and stuff about music into merikan, suffice it to repeat from the lost post that Trio 3 & Irene Schweizer definitely were da shit, as they say! :tup

So I'm reconsidering my opinion on Oliver Lake, even though again he failed to convince me completely... he's certainly serious about what he's doing, that I'd never deny, but still, as an instrumentalist, he fails to really blow me away.