Madeleine Peyroux

mikeweil

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I must admit, I've heard only "Careless Love" album about a week ago and nothing else. Then I thought to start this thread, but people here were a bit faster then me.

Don't know what to think about Madeleine... She copied everything, timbre, glissandos, affectations, darkness, even phrases from Lady Day on this one. OK, I must say I'm happy that there is a person in this world who tried to emulate Billie (my favourite singer anytime), but - even I like Billie so much - Medeleine put so much Lady in his style, I'm afraid...

And you know what: she is even more "tragical" than origin or root ever were... Listened to "I'll Look Around" from the very same album of Madeleine and the same song from Billie Holiday's Decca recording. Billie is optimistic, naive child compared to Peyroux, gloomy and not so easy to accept if you're not prepared to.

Edited by mmilovan

In the UK we have a talk-show host by the name of Michael Parkinson. He's a down-to-earth, straight talking, cricket-loving, real ale drinking Yorkshireman.

At least that's how he's marketed these days since his big comeback.

Back in the 1970's he was just a talk-show host. He also exerts quite an influence over how the British public get their dose of jazz through his BBC Radio 2 show and his CD compilations along the lines of 'The Best Of Jazz...' Lately he has featured many new jazz stars on his TV programme; Jamie Cullum, Norah Jones, Jane Monheit.......Rod Stewart.... :unsure: I don't watch his shows by the way, but find out who's on through the listings. Honest.

Last week he had Madeleine Peyroux on his show. Maybe I should stop using him as a gauge on which artists to avoid because I'm fairly broad-minded, but I find, with the exception of Stacey Kent who I still luuurrve, his musical guests get very quickly over exposed and their acts become very tired quickly.

I'll have a listen to her on the wireless then go by gut instinct, avoiding splashing out valuable cash on stuff I'll listen to a few times.

I've never been able to take Parkinson seriously since the 70s when he was forever trying to put words into guests mouth about how awful rock/pop was and how jazz was so much better.

I'm surprised I wasn't put off jazz for life.

Don't care for the fawning either but I suspect that goes with the territory of being a chat-show host...unless you're Chris Evans!

• 2 weeks later...

Going to play a few cuts off this when I sit in for Joe this afternoon; it's grown on me quite a lot (love the covers of Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome" and Elliott Smith's "Between the Bars," perhaps the best sides on the album).

Between the Bars has been my favorite.

I heard she was on public radio denying any Holliday influence or any attempt to imitate Holliday.

Bull, says I.

--eric

Going to play a few cuts off this when I sit in for Joe this afternoon; it's grown on me quite a lot (love the covers of Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome" and Elliott Smith's "Between the Bars," perhaps the best sides on the album).

Between the Bars has been my favorite.

I heard she was on public radio denying any Holliday influence or any attempt to imitate Holliday.

Bull, says I.

--eric

That's why she covers "No More" on her new CD, huh?!

an excerpt from an article written by Yoshi Kato, published on April 1, 1997 in the Mercury News:

"As for the persistent comparisons to Billie Holiday, Peyroux says, ''I'm very flattered, and I couldn't ask for anything better. Who would I rather be compared to?''

She adds, ''I probably seem more nonchalant about it than I should be at this point, because it is basically what attracts people to (my music). But I want to develop my own (style) as much as possible.

''I think that we're always growing as artists. . . . I'm a young person, and I have to grow and live a little longer before I have assimilated all these things that I've been experiencing and taking in. So no, I'm not innovative yet. I should be doing that maybe in 10 years.''

she's got two more years. haven't heard much innovation yet.

Edited by jazzshrink

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gotta agree with you on the Dylan song :tup ...never heard it before(Not the biggest Dylan fan in the world, sue me! :P ) But love her version, and will now have to check out the original version. It's an instrumental version, correct? I won't have to listen to him sing will I? :rhappy:

Yeah, she sounds more than a little like Billie, but it doesn't grate like most everyone else I have heard try to sound like Billie....

Edited by BERIGAN

Madeleine Peyroux co-wrote a couple of the songs on my son's new cd - J.C. Hopkins Biggish Band "Underneath the Brooklyn Moon" due out this summer.

I like her Billieish singing.

You will give us an update this summer, won't you? It's not like my brain cells are going to remember this until then... ;)

The new one seems to be picking up some word-of-mouth steam--for better or worse, I think it's becoming the new "Norah Jones" album. My wife's church friends (young choir singers) who all loved the first Norah are going gah-gah over CARELESS LOVE... I think of them as an unofficial focus group. ^_^ Not that CARELESS will match Jones' sales on the first album, but it has that same sort of crossover appeal.

Another Billie link on the new CD: isn't "This Is Heaven to Me" one Billie did for Decca? One of the last things she did for Decca?

I saw her live a week or two ago. I was not impressed at all. I had hoped for something more original in a live setting, but ... nope. I don't want to trash it because many people really liked it, and the reviews were quite decent, but it left me absolutely cold. I saw Holly Cole in the same place just about a year before and THAT was a pretty good live concert. In comparison, it was a stellar concert.

This was just, err, boooooooring.

I'll check her out again in about twenty years.

Another Billie link on the new CD: isn't "This Is Heaven to Me" one Billie did for Decca? One of the last things she did for Decca?

THE final song she recorded for Decca.

Recorded March 8, 1950 in LA at her last session for the label.

Two songs were recorded that day: 'God Bless the Child' and then 'This Is Heaven To Me'...

• 1 month later...

I saw her live a week or two ago. I was not impressed at all. I had hoped for something more original in a live setting, but ... nope. I don't want to trash it because many people really liked it, and the reviews were quite decent, but it left me absolutely cold. I saw Holly Cole in the same place just about a year before and THAT was a pretty good live concert. In comparison, it was a stellar concert.

This was just, err, boooooooring.

I'll check her out again in about twenty years.

I saw Holly Cole a few years ago, and she puts on a good show, indeed! However, her records have left me rather cold... and now back on topic: I picked up "Dreamland" last week and like it quite some. Also just heard an early (1997) concert of Peyroux', and it seemed to me she had quite some intonation problems... however, it's another fine one, with Steve Cardenas on guitar.

Madeleine  Peyroux co-wrote a couple of the songs on my son's new cd - J.C. Hopkins Biggish Band "Underneath the Brooklyn Moon" due out this summer.

I like her Billieish singing.

You will give us an update this summer, won't you? It's not like my brain cells are going to remember this until then... ;)

The cd release date is Aug. 9. We'll be at the Knitting Factory in the apple for the party. :g:g

ms. peyroux was the guest on an npr radio show last week. quite a few callers, most of them older jazz fans, commented on how much she sounded like lady day. she was noticeably quiet during these calls, and never once did she admit to being heavily influenced by holiday. i think that's what bothers me about her. the debt is obvious, and to not acknowledge it seems disingenuous, if not disrespectful.

ms. peyroux was the guest on an npr radio show last week. quite a few callers, most of them older jazz fans, commented on how much she sounded like lady day. she was noticeably quiet during these calls, and never once did she admit to being heavily influenced by holiday. i think that's what bothers me about her. the debt is obvious, and to not acknowledge it seems disingenuous, if not disrespectful.

She clearly is a fan of Billie's, I just imagine after so many questions(the same questions) for so many years, she just doesn't want to be thought of as only an imitator of hers...so probably just keeps her mouth shut nowadays...

saw this a month or so ago when I was checking out what was on the web on her....

Thoughts on Billie Holiday's 90th Birthday

April 6, 2005

I’m sure if I had the chance to meet her now she would tell me how much work I have to do. …or,“Get another gig!”

But it is impossible to render Billie any other way than she would have wanted.

As much as we try to find Billie in ourselves, in our lives, we do.

She was an individualist who sang for us all. She is most personal.

There is no other Billie Holiday…

To listen to Billie’s life- is to listen to freedom: a pioneering voice among African Americans, musicians, and underdogs in our hifalutin society.

…you can hear her in the tough man crying,

the alley cat whining,

the toddler baby shreiking,

the peeping child peeking,

the bell-chimer ticking,

the evening barker tricking,

the way the washer-woman rinses out shame,

nature lazes into her pain,

waning on the horizon…

To all those celebrating this holiday--

Happy 90th Birthday Billie Holiday

We’re still Getting Some Fun Out of Life-

~madeleine peyroux

http://www.madeleinepeyroux.org/billieholiday.asp

Edited by BERIGAN

• 1 month later...

Same here. Had a listen in the record shop today after picking up a gift for a friend, and liked it so much I took it home.

It's true, the more you listen, the more the Billie comparison becomes superficial.

A statement by Dan Oulette in the July down beat issue made me think:

In 1996, I saw Peyroux open for Cesaria Evora at Zellerbach Hall at UC Berkeley. She was soulful and played an eclectic repertoire (from Patsy Cline's "Walkin' After Midnight" to Edith Piaf's "La Vie En Rose"). But she sounded so Billie it was discomforting. I saw Peyroux again at Le Jazz Au Bar last year, and it still felt too-Billie. After the show, I talked with her and was surprised to discover that her intonation was Holidayesque. So, I thought, maybe that's her true voice. If so, it's a blessing and a curse.

The last two sentences nail it for me .....

Her choice of songs is indeed interesting. She shouldn't be taken as jazz, but in the common ground between jazz, folk blues and French chanson. In this field, I think, she fares quite well. Would like to see her live. I like the new album a lot - and I like the way it is recorded as well.

Edited by mikeweil

It's a shame that she has to rip off Billie, and a bad rip off at that, to make a name for herself!

Peyroux hasn't "ripped off" Billie Holiday; she has incorporated aspects of Holidays style into her own--just as thousands of saxophonists have done with Coltrane and thousands of trumpeters with Miles. Building a music on the approach of someone else is hardly "ripping off" the earlier player. It's the way jazz has metamorphosed over the decades. And anyway, a closer listening to Peyroux reveals much more than just the influence of Holiday; she has as much Edith Piaf in her voice as she does Holiday.

Bye-ya