Madeleine Peyroux

mikeweil

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame that she has to rip off Billie, and a bad rip off at that, to make a name for herself!

Peyroux hasn't "ripped off" Billie Holiday; she has incorporated aspects of Holidays style into her own--just as thousands of saxophonists have done with Coltrane and thousands of trumpeters with Miles. Building a music on the approach of someone else is hardly "ripping off" the earlier player. It's the way jazz has metamorphosed over the decades. And anyway, a closer listening to Peyroux reveals much more than just the influence of Holiday; she has as much Edith Piaf in her voice as she does Holiday.

Bye-ya

well said paul and welcome to the big "O"!!! :)

• 3 months later...

Nice version of "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?" by Madeleine and Marion McPartland over at the Piano Jazz site right now, under the Gulf Coast tribute heading. I think this was recorded back in early September, when that song was in the air quite a lot... hopefully they'll broadcast the entire program with MP soon.

Going to play a few cuts off this when I sit in for Joe this afternoon; it's grown on me quite a lot (love the covers of Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome" and Elliott Smith's "Between the Bars," perhaps the best sides on the album).

Gotta agree with you on the Dylan song :tup ...never heard it before(Not the biggest Dylan fan in the world, sue me! :P ) But love her version, and will now have to check out the original version. It's an instrumental version, correct? I won't have to listen to him sing will I? :rhappy:

Yeah, she sounds more than a little like Billie, but it doesn't grate like most everyone else I have heard try to sound like Billie....

Hey Berigan have you checked out the Dylan version yet? I'm curious as to what you think. I saw her in concert a couple of months ago. Because I love the Dylan version I was a little disconcerted when she changed the melody. (Not that Dylan wouldn't change it even more if he performs it live nowadays.)

The band I saw her with would definitely be called a jazz band though she accompanied herself on acoustic guitar-- something I don't think I've ever seen a jazz singer do. I was put off a bit by her Lady Day phrasing on her first number (Leoanard Cohen's "Dance me to the End of the Night") but after that I quite liked her. Not enough to make me buy one of her cds however.

Going to play a few cuts off this when I sit in for Joe this afternoon; it's grown on me quite a lot (love the covers of Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome" and Elliott Smith's "Between the Bars," perhaps the best sides on the album).

Gotta agree with you on the Dylan song :tup ...never heard it before(Not the biggest Dylan fan in the world, sue me! :P ) But love her version, and will now have to check out the original version. It's an instrumental version, correct? I won't have to listen to him sing will I? :rhappy:

Yeah, she sounds more than a little like Billie, but it doesn't grate like most everyone else I have heard try to sound like Billie....

Hey Berigan have you checked out the Dylan version yet? I'm curious as to what you think. I saw her in concert a couple of months ago. Because I love the Dylan version I was a little disconcerted when she changed the melody. (Not that Dylan wouldn't change it even more if he performs it live nowadays.)

The band I saw her with would definitely be called a jazz band though she accompanied herself on acoustic guitar-- something I don't think I've ever seen a jazz singer do. I was put off a bit by her Lady Day phrasing on her first number (Leoanard Cohen's "Dance me to the End of the Night") but after that I quite liked her. Not enough to make me buy one of her cds however.

No, haven't checked out the Dylan version yet. I clearly need to listen to more Dylan than the 5 songs you hear all the time....But have a long list of music I need to purchase so it may take awhile to get to Dylan! ^_^

I hadn't heard her sing although I've been aware of her notoriety. I'm not sure I like it and I'm not sure I don't but I want to hear more. Billie always sang behind the beat, but this girl keeps making me afraid she's gonna lose it, but always seems to catch up. Never heard anybody just like her, despite her obvious debt to Billie. :huh: