A little medical advice, please...

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just caught this thread as well. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Same here Jim ..and my thoughts are with you and your wife during this difficult time.

I know how frustrating dealing with the medical "establishment" can become ..it brings back many memories of having to deal with it when my late wife had to deal with Breast C and an Aortic Valve replacement within three months .

Dr. J is correct , however ..keep plugging and you'll eventually find the "good" guys in the medical establishment ..just keep bitching and taking copouis notes..

heres hoping for the best for you and your wife ..

I love that some huge comglomerate that resides in God-knows-where that doesn't know my wife from the number that represents her decides, over doctor's orders, what tests should be run. Quite the health care system we have in this country, eh?

Well, just be thankful you aren't in Canada. You would be waiting 6 months at the LEAST, probably more, just to get the MRI. That's if you could ever get an appointment to see your doctor for the referral in the first place. I know this from personal experience. So, as much as the insurance company is dicking you around, there are worse situations when it comes to health care

Well finally some good news. The insurance company (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) just called and approved a spinal cord MRI for the cervical portion of the spine and gave us an appointment for this Friday. If the doctor we see tomorrow wants to scan other parts of the spine (which doesn't seem necessary, but who knows?) then they will approve that if need be.

Phew. That's good to hear.

Don't know what Michigan (or any other states') Blue Cross/Blue Shield is like, but here in Texas it seems to be the most service-oriented of the insurance companies. Brenda's worked in one aspect or another of the "managed care" industry for the last 20 years or so (sometimes to her chagrin and disgust), and she's now working fior BCBS. She says that she's never seen an insurance company so dedicated to patient care.

Of course, they have to screen claims and guard against fraod, but apparently BCBS places a premium on having trustworthy and compaaionate doctors in thier network. She's heard storieds of doctors being expelled for attempting to skimp on patient care. Many companies would offer a reward for that! I don't know if every region operates under this same philosophy, but if they do,you're in good hands.

Anyway, all I'm, trying to say is that it sounds like you're set to get quality diagnosis and care, so all that's left is the waiting, which can be a hell in and of itself, so stay strong, feel the love, and give the love. Because love is just about the only thing that won't drive you crazy in a time like this.

Y'all are definitely in my prayers/meditations/focused private thoughts/whatever. ;)

Definitely.

Just an update:

We had our appointment this afternoon with the MSU Neurology Department. It turns out it was with the same doctor that saw her in Sparrow (the hospital) and referred us to MSU. Strange.

Anyway, today has been the worst day by far. The numbness is in her lips, tongue, and jaw and she says that her throat feels like someone is strangling it or that there is a giant weight on it. The numbness is moving down her left leg as well.

So we told all this to the doctor and he seemed a little confused. It was as if he didn't quite believe her claims about the feelings in her neck. He kept going back to that. I asked him a lot of questions and brought up several points, including:

Stroke, yes or no? He said no. There is no evidence of a stroke.

Aneurysm, yes or no? No. But they are going to run some more tests to totally rule that out.

Tumor, yes or no? No. It would've shown up like a red flag on the first MRI.

MS, yes or no? Not enough information, but everything is leaning towards no. All the tests they've done up to now should've shown something and they have all been normal. But it is still a possibility.

He did say that the pain and discomfort in the neck area is very rarely associated with neurological disorders, which in his words "is a good thing for you." He thinks it could be a virus, but again, more tests need to be done.

So basically we don't know too much more than we did, but Alison's progressing symptoms lit a fire under their butts and she's getting a whole battery of tests done in the next two days including another MRI of the brain, an MRI of the neck, another EKG, the Evoke Visual Response test, and an MRA.

When I mentioned my sister's theory and the word "chiropracter", he looked at me like I was an idiot, which my sister wasn't too surprised about. If all the tests we have in the next few days find nothing, we are going to go to a chiropracter that has the ability to do X-rays and that specializes in upper cervical subluxation. I found this site today: http://www.upcspine.com/ Very interesting read.

I feel a little better at least that they have determined what it isn't (ie, a tumor, stroke, etc). I'll feel even better after the tests are done.

Thanks again for all the support.

I want to thank my wonderful husband for being so supportive and caring. It isn't fun to look after someone who's ill and take care of an infant. He is amazing!

I will hopefully get some answers tomorrow. I'm sure he will fill you in.

Thank you all again for all your kind words. It really does help.

Alison

Wife of B3er

Had a round of tests today (including another MRI scan of the brain and spine and bloodtests) and tomorrow we have a MRA and an Evoke Vision Response test. Alison is feeling better tomorrow, although the numbness is moving down into her left leg.

Yesterday was the worst by far. Maybe this thing is viral and it's working it's way out. Who knows?

I'm just happy she's feeling better and acting more like herself.

Had a round of tests today (including another MRI scan of the brain and spine and bloodtests) and tomorrow we have a MRA and an Evoke Vision Response test. Alison is feeling better tomorrow, although the numbness is moving down into her left leg.

Yesterday was the worst by far. Maybe this thing is viral and it's working it's way out. Who knows?

Sounds like good news! :tup B-)

Had a round of tests today (including another MRI scan of the brain and spine and bloodtests) and tomorrow we have a MRA and an Evoke Vision Response test.  Alison is feeling better tomorrow, although the numbness is moving down into her left leg.

Yesterday was the worst by far.  Maybe this thing is viral and it's working it's way out.  Who knows?

I should've said Alison is feeling better today. Criminey. I need to get some sleep one of these nights.