BFT #20 - discussion

mmilovan

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, your selections are too good to be lost in the mail!

Besides, WWLD? ;)

You know it! I cheated and started reading some of the comments here, and I can't wait to hear this!!! So it's my pleasure to be able to help! :tup

Alright gang! Anyone in the US who hasn't received their disc yet, LET ME KNOW ASAP so's I can get 'em in the mail.

Especially those of you who are participating in BFT #21!!! Y'all know the drill: PM or e-mail acrearick@hotmail.com.

As soon as I get JSngry's disc, the Big Al Express will be off and running! :):party:

I hereby rechristen this CD as THE BIGGEST BEST BADDEST BIG BAND CD IN THE WORLD, PERIOD!!!! Gad, this was a blast to listen to from start to finish, and very much worth the wait!!!

Now, even though I’ve looked at this thread previously, I don’t remember much, if anything, of what I’ve read. So with that in mind, here goes:

1. “In the Mood,” and a very hip swinging arrangement! No clue as to who it is, but I can’t wait to find out!

2. No clue, but carries the hip swingin’ forward from track one very nicely! Sounds like Jo Jones on drums, or someone trying to cop his “breathing” sound!

3. No clue. Still swingin’!!!

4. More good stuff! More cluelessness! I tell ya, I know next to nothing about pre-50’s jazz. Can ya tell I have a lot to learn?

5. Maybe track 7 from this album? I’ve not heard it, but I understand the sound on this album is pretty crappy. Nice playing by the alto player. I wonder if he ever became famous? :g :g :g

6. A very jaunty “Don’t Be That Way.” Sounds like Prez on tenor, maybe Buck Clayton on trumpet, but this doesn’t sound like a Basie group. Maybe it’s one of those offshoot Kansas City groups consisting of Basie personnel?

7. Teddy Wilson maybe? Who’s that playing the drums at 200 mph?

8. Some kinda Goodman quartet number. At first I thought it was from the wonderful collection called On the Air, 1937-38, but the guitar gave it away that it wasn’t. So I don’t know where this came from, but I wanna find out PRONTO!!! (Hey wait: I remember you guys talking about the Spirituals to Swing set prior to my post in this thread. If this track is anything like that box, I must get this thing now!!! Merry (early) Christmas to me & all that!)

9. More big band madness!!! Man, this BFT is gonna break me!!! Oh wait, is it from this album?

10. Sounds like Roy Eldridge in there, no clue beyond that!

11. Ah, knew this one immediately (A first!). I have it as track four from this wonderful CD, but I’m sure it’s available on other collections. I would think, anyway. I’m guessing Milan is trying to spotlight the singer with this track, but here’s a plug for the rest of the CD. It was one of the first jazz CDs I ever bought (way back in ’89), and I still enjoy it immensely. Hell, the title track alone was one of the songs that started me on my love affair with jazz!

12. OH LAWD I love this!!! Quickly, tell me who this is!!!! I hope there’s a link to this one, cuz I have NO CLUE as to who it is and must have it NOW!!! THIS is my kind of big band sound: punchy, brassy, loud, fast, & tight!!! Like a Basie band on a hot night!

13. No clue, once again.

14. Sounds like the riff from “One O’Clock Jump.” Who’s doing it is anybody’s guess (which will be far more educated than mine, Icantellyouthat!)

15. This sounds like a 45 of Bessie Smith being played at 33-1/3!!! No clue! (Although, this technique does make some otherwise horrible songs actually palatable. Case in point: my wife has the 45 of Melanie’s “Brand New Key,” which is awful at any speed (or on it, anyway). That 45 played at 33-1/3 actually adopts some kind of ersatz bluesy quality that Janis Joplin tried to exploit at normal speed (or with it, and even then it may not have been all that normal, cometothinkofit)).

16. No clue. I’m even more clueless when it comes to singers.

17. Jo Jones on drums again? Prez again? Now THIS sounds like the Basie Band!

18. I think I’m just gonna cover all my bases and guess Basie for everything from here/hear on out!!! It’s all so GOOD!!!

19. Some kind of Oscar Pettiford Big Band? No clue!

20. Basie!!! Just kidding, of course. No clue!

21. At first I thought it might be early Peggy Lee, then the piano kicked in. That HAS to be Teddy Wilson; and if it’s Teddy Wilson, then it must be Billie Holiday.

22. More Billie? More cluelessness! Maybe I should just get that Columbia box for Christmas as well!

23. No clue on the singer (who didn’t make much of an impression on me), but the piano player sure sounds like the Fatha!

24. Mulligan’s Concert Jazz Band?

Well this was a wildly enjoyable (and humbling) experience! These BFTs just keep getting better and better, and this disc is no exception! Great job, Milan! :tup:tup

Finally, finally got my disc today. (Have to make a copy for Dan Gould). But got to listen and since my curiosity got the better of me and I've been looking at the answers, I'll simply use this space to positively identify two tracks, the first of which the artist was correctly guessed at.

Track 12: Obviously, "Four Brothers" but retitled "Four Rich Brothers" on Vol.1 (Hep CD 12) of two CDs that I have of Buddy's boppish 1947-48 band. More info here:

http://www.hepjazz.com/bios/buddyrich.html

Track 14: Recognized this track immediately as it was on an old Columbia Harmony LP that my father bought some 40+ years ago (which I still have). It was music like this that got me into jazz. Since I can't find a link for a CD that contains this track, further googling got me to this site which clicking on "Song Number 2" has an excerpt of it:

http://members.aol.com/bigbandpage/era0406.html

Thanks for the belated enjoyment!

Marty

Edited by MartyJazz

OK, re this thread one or perhaps two things are happening right now.

1) Since the previous post occurred three days ago thanks to yours truly, it may be that no subsequent posts have been made because I do seem to have an uncanny talent (?) for stopping a thread dead in its tracks

AND/OR

2) It really is time to post the answers To BFT #20 because everyone has said what they wanted to say.

I suspect several US participants are still waiting for their disc and should have a chance to post their comments.

Don't wait on me ... I got it from Marty but I have no idea when I might listen and post, and from the previous post, Marty is not doing his usual extensive commentary.

I suspect several US participants are still waiting for their disc and should have a chance to post their comments.

I'm looking to this thread closely and carefully, and will post answers right on mikeweil signal.

I'd say it depends on two aspects:

1) how many of the US emergency disc receivers still want to post their comments?

(please, tell us!)

2) with Christmas approaching, will participants find enough time to listen to and comment on Big Al's discs - they surely deserve it!

I'm afraid all will be pretty busy for the rest of the week.

Whaddya think, fellow BFTers?

I'm in no hurry myself, obviously. However, I only made three or four emergency discs. In all honesty, I drastically underestimated how quickly my BFT discs would reach people. The mail, for once, was much faster than I anticipated.

Please folks, if you haven't had a chance to listen to this wonderful BFT, please do so (and comment if you have the chance) before digging into my BFT! I guarantee you, mmilovan's BFT is waaaaay cooler than mine! I oughta know! B-)

Hey, it's December 23rd and Milovan's original copy of BFT #20 has just arrived.   Neat stamps!  A shame it took so long but in any event, a belated thanks to Sangrey for providing me with a copy last week.

As I espected in some cases, BFT will arrive... but when... ouch... :blink::(

All I can say, I did anything to mail BFTs to everybody on the same time, and the postoffice... the postoffice... people, I will not act unpolitely, but postoffice drives me maaaaaaaad :alien::ph34r: :rsmile: :rmad::rmad::rmad::tdown:angry:

Edited by mmilovan

Hey, it's December 23rd and Milovan's original copy of BFT #20 has just arrived. Neat stamps! A shame it took so long but in any event, a belated thanks to Sangrey for providing me with a copy last week.

Funny, I live 20 minutes from Marty, and no original package yet. But I guess its close!

Gave a listen today, Milan, and I have to give a big :tup . Nice assortment of material, much of which I don't often hear. Seeing as that's the case, there are no guesses, other than saying that I'm pretty sure I heard Bird from the Benedetti box, and later on, Louis Jordan.

Well worth the wait!

So, just as I finally got it together and sat down to write out my responses, the mailman delivered Milan's package to me this afternoon. :lol:

Blindfold Test #20 Compiled by MMILOVAN

First of all, thank you very much for compiling this BFT Milan. Thanks to Big Al and everyone else who assisted in getting me a copy.

Afraid I don't have much in the way of guessing.

1. I've heard this song a million times and I don't know its title. Perfect opener!

2. A real toe-tapper!

3. Toe has yet to stop tappin'! Favorite so far.

4. Now this is out there! Can barely wrap my ears around it, I dig it. Two horns in unison? I'll be interested to read more about this.

5. I feel I should recognize the tune, I might have another recording of that same melody. I'm wondering if this is atypical playing for the age of the recording. Ahead of its time, perhaps?

6. As the toe continues tapping, this is my favorite since track 3. Infectious. Would I be wrong to suggest this is GREEEEEAAAAZZZZEEY?

7. Furiously fast, a sprint! The drummer is a madman.

8. Hamp?

9. All aboard! Damned if this band doesn't have a steam engine rolling!

10. These cats were seriously getting down! Lots of fireworks, the crowd reacts appropriately!

11. Ella?

12. Reminds me of track 1 somewhat. For some reason the "big" horn sound here doesn't appeal to me.

13. No complaints here! Good good good.

14. Now that's funky, dance your pants off type stuff!

15. This dude's voice made me laugh at first. Then the tune made me a bit sentimental. I like it!

16. Carries the mood nicely from the previous tune. Not sure who it might be, though I've seen the song title.

17. Strange break in the middle, I've heard those horns somewhere...

18. Sounds fun! No guess.

19. Same as 18.

20. Diz?

21. Great tune, don't know who.

22. Same as 21.

23. Love the piano here, don't recognize the vocalist.

24. The "big" horns don't bug me here like they did on 12. Appropriate choice for a closer.

Now, on to finally read the responses! :tup

Hey, it's December 23rd and Milovan's original copy of BFT #20 has just arrived. Neat stamps! A shame it took so long but in any event, a belated thanks to Sangrey for providing me with a copy last week.

And a full WEEK later, my copy made it the additional 10 miles from Boynton Beach to Delray Beach. :wacko: