BFT #20 - discussion

mmilovan

Did you compare the Hartman? Jim R has his doubts, and to me this voice does not sound enough like Hartman, but I don't have that suspected album.

I know the question wasn't directed at me, Mike, but I thought I'd respond anyway. I don't exactly have "doubt"- I know it's not from SONGS FROM THE HEART, and not Hartman. I have nearly all of his recordings, and although Hartman is not a "bad" guess in that he did have that lush baritone voice, he never crossed my mind on this track 15. I'm convinced it's Joe Williams (and seeing that a certain other member with pretty decent ears had already gone with JW, I'm even more convinced. ;)).

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would be very interesting to Jim to hear exact musicians and to read his own lines to track 7 and 12 one after another. :lol:

Again, this wasn't directed at me, but a very interesting clue. :) Might 7 and 12 feature the same drummer, then? :unsure: (that question is for the group, not necessarily for Milan B-) ).

it would be very interesting to Jim to hear exact musicians and to read his own lines to track 7 and 12 one after another.  :lol:

Again, this wasn't directed at me, but a very interesting clue. :) Might 7 and 12 feature the same drummer, then? :unsure: (that question is for the group, not necessarily for Milan B-) ).

Yeah, I'm reading here that #7 is that Jo Jones trio album on Everest. I've never heard it, but I'm not surprised. Papa Jo was indeed a master of the brushes, but in all honesty, this cut is not as relaxed as what I would expect out of him, even at this tempo.

But Buddy Rich on #12? THAT I could believe, albeit unfortunately so . Maybe it's Buddy's late-40s bebop big band? That seems possible, since it's definitely Giuffre's arrangement, at least not the one he did for Woody. Now, if it IS Buddy's band, the candidates for soloists would be Earl Swope on bone, either Alan Eager or Warne on tenor, and I don't know who on trumpet. Was Red Rodney on that band? Might need to have a relisten with that in miond, which I'll try and do this evening.

As for the Hartman/Williams "controversy", it's Williams, undoubtedly. He's working out of a different bag than we've come to know of him, but there's certain syllables where the enunciation is unmistakeable Joe. But in other parts, it sounds like Earl Coleman on a bad day.

Did you compare the Hartman? Jim R has his doubts, and to me this voice does not sound enough like Hartman, but I don't have that suspected album.

I know the question wasn't directed at me, Mike, but I thought I'd respond anyway. I don't exactly have "doubt"- I know it's not from SONGS FROM THE HEART, and not Hartman. I have nearly all of his recordings, and although Hartman is not a "bad" guess in that he did have that lush baritone voice, he never crossed my mind on this track 15. I'm convinced it's Joe Williams (and seeing that a certain other member with pretty decent ears had already gone with JW, I'm even more convinced. ;)).

Quite a relieve to read this! Mike, I had no time to check (and was already offline when you posted, sorry), but my ears thought about Williams, too, when I listened to the disc, however, as I chose not to offer insight-less track-by-track comments, I did not mention him.

And, no, I don't have that whole 3CD box (it's very expansive here, would have to search online, but not right now) - I just have the Prez-featuring tracks, and guess from whom I got them? ;)

And, no, I don't have that whole 3CD box (it's very expensive here, would have to search online, but not right now) - I just have the Prez-featuring tracks, and guess from whom I got them? ;)

:g ...........

It could be had pretty cheap here at Zweitausendeins for a while. It's probably more thrilling to have all the Prez tracks on one disc than scattered over three!

What is missing? ;)

Re: Mr. B.: I got an earful of the Spotlite disc last night - great stuff! I realized the track in question is not on that disc, but I don't have the studio recordings. Any CD recommended?

There is a 2-disc set on Savoy - but that is hard to get in Europe and if so, it is expensive. The recent Savoy releases are best ordered online from the US.

I only have two thirds of these on LP - they are 90% vocal ballads, and not as well recorded as the Spotlite, so do not put them on a high position on your priority list.

Thanks Mike, seems like I can live for some time without getting the Eckstine (though I have his VME and actually like it rather well, it's sort of a time capsule).

I plan tough to get the nice little box, so thanks, nothing missing. ;)

About 3 CD box: is it Mr. B. box you're talking about, or...

Thanks Mike, seems like I can live for some time without getting the Eckstine (though I have his VME and actually like it rather well, it's sort of a time capsule).

I plan tough to get the nice little box, so thanks, nothing missing.  ;)

About 3 CD box: is it Mr. B. box you're talking about, or...

No, this one:

stsbox-image.jpg

brownie linked it above, it's where those Prez tracks from the Carnegie Hall concerts come from... and you know where mine came from ;)

A/B'ed that track 15 'They Didn't Believe Me' between the BFT and the 'Songs From the Heart' LP. It's not Johnny Hartman as I wrongly stated. Will wait for mmilovan's answers!

I'm so depressed about all these situation, because I really do my best to send anyone that asked BFT, while trying to do all the tihings by myself.

Now, I must ask for help from members that got theirs discs in USA. It is not matter of price for post delievery service, but matter of time - it will take too long to do all that again from my country, and it is - as fact about not arriving can tell us - action with totaly unexpected results.

So, help me pleaseee... :(

Edited by mmilovan

Help is on the way, sorta...

I've just sent a copy to martyjazz, at his beseechment, and he's agreed to "seed" the Floridain contingent. I'd send out more, but this is Christmas decorating weekend at our house, and LTB demands that time be focused. So hey...

It's a start.

Ya' know, if anybody else can send a copy to somebody else who can then seed a few others, we can have this puppy back on track fairly quickly. Milan's put together a great compilation, and no doubt took a hit on the postage. Let's see to it that it is not all for naught, ok?

I bet they're just delayed due to the holiday postal rush. They'll probably show up real late just like that Leeway/undergroundagent thing.

Please don't feel bad Milan! We'll get our copies one way or the other.

Thanks for your help Jim!

If someone can get a copy to me, I can mail it out with the BFT #21 discs, post haste!

aL

Just came in on a break and saw this. A brilliant idea!

So, one's on the way to you. Thank LTB for her understanding. Spread it around widely and thickly.

The Big Al Express is gettin' ready to ROLL!