Any RVG Suggestions for 2005?

Kevin Bresnahan

I was talking to Blue Note the other day and they're finalizing the next titles for RVG to start on. It sounded to me like there was room for negotiation. Any titles I should call and push for? I thought Mobley's "A Slice of the Top" would be a good one. I also put in my (usual) request for some Leo Parker. "The Gigolo" may not make it this time because it's still selling like hot cakes in its current configuration so they're hesitant to delete it.

It sounds like Redd's "The Connection", Herbie's "Inventions & Dimensions" and Blakey's "The Big Beat" have made the early "list" (not set in stone, obviously).

Fire Away.

Later,

Kevin

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to Blue Note the other day and they're finalizing the next titles for RVG to start on. It sounded to me like there was room for negotiation. Any titles I should call and push for? I thought Mobley's "A Slice of the Top" would be a good one. I also put in my (usual) request for some Leo Parker. "The Gigolo" may not make it this time because it's still selling like hot cakes in its current configuration so they're hesitant to delete it.

It sounds like Redd's "The Connection", Herbie's "Inventions & Dimensions" and Blakey's "The Big Beat" have made the early "list" (not set in stone, obviously).

Fire Away.

Later,

Kevin

Anything that's out of print by Bobby Hutcherson, Andrew Hill, or Jackie McLean. As little currently-available stuff as possible.

Any of the currently OOP Chick Corea BNs!!! PLEASE!!

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

Isn't this material on the Thelonious Monk RVG CD?

This is an actual Milt Jackson RVG. I believe part of this session is included in a Monk Mosaic. :)

I'd like to see something else RVG'd from this 'era' of the Blue Note catalogue. I used the Milt Jackson cover as a symbol of the era I'm interested in. Unfortunately, I don't know what is worth RVGing from this time period. I don't have the knowledge to provide individual session recommendations.

Maybe somebody else can offer a suggestion from this Blue Note era?

Edited by wesbed

Isn't this material on the Thelonious Monk RVG CD?

This is an actual Milt Jackson RVG. I believe part of this session is included in a Monk Mosaic. :)

I'd like to see something else RVG'd from this 'era' of the Blue Note catalogue. I used the Milt Jackson cover as a symbol of the era I'm interested in. Unfortunately, I don't know what is worth RVGing from this time period. I don't have the knowledge to provide individual session titles.

Maybe somebody else can a suggestion from this Blue Note era?

you may want to start a quest for the conn 10" series that was released some years ago.

Herbie's "Inventions and Dimensions" is a really enjoyable set - very absorbing. And with a fine alternate take, that was only rejected because it was a tad too long for the LP. Willie Bobo's snare work on this sounds a lot like Roy Haynes.

Ron did a great job with the sound on this in the 20 bit Hancock box set. I haven't heard the TOCJ.

Would also like to see 10" era BNs (at least a couple) in RVG format...maybe an Art Hodes and a Bechet (yeah, and you know what they say about monkeys flying out of some oriface...)

Here's some others:

McCoy Tyner - EXPANSIONS

There needs to be at least one Curtis Fuller title in the RVG format...probably would most like to see VOLUME 3

Where the hell is Sonny Clark - LEAPIN' AND LOPIN'? PRIME RVG candidate

Would absolutely LOVE to see an RVG set of Ike Quebec's 45 recordings (heck, the Mosaic is LONG gone and the single Japanese disc FROM HACKENSACK TO ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS doesn't capture all that great music). I'm sure it would sound stunning

Edited by DrJ

I second (or is it third) the LEAPIN' AND LOPIN' recommendation - or any other Sonny Clark albums for that matter. A SLICE OF THE TOP would be sweet too, as would a re-mastered version of THE GIGOLO, regardless of current selling numbers (I'm sure RVG could clean up the sound a bit; plus we'd get some new liners from everyone's favorite, Bob Blumenthal). Just my 2 cents.

From the Hammond lovers....

I would like to see an RVG of something with Baby Face Willette on it, even as a sideman. Perhaps Lou Donalson's "Here 'Tis" would be the best candidate. Love to see that as an RVG.

Also, an RVG of Jimmy Smith "At The Organ" Vol. 1...that's just some plain classic Blue Note. The beginning of jazz organ as we've come to know it. Plus, with Art Blakey, Donaldson ect. laying it down. Shouldn't be a hard sell I would think.

Freddie Roach....hmmm....would they even take a gamble on RVG'ng this stuff?. My vote would be the undisputed heavyweight in his catalog, "Down To Earth." It burns and I'd love to hear this remastered with Rudy's touch. Kenny Burrell's presence might help sell this a bit.