Count Basie Story 2CD

desertblues

Just heard the new "The Count Basie Story" 2CD Roulette reissue - you're gonna want this one if you don't have the Mosaic Studio box (if you can dig the Basie band of the late fifties, that is). To my ears this band never sounded better - smoking tenor from Frank Foster, Billy Mitchell and Frank Wess as well as some great Joe Newman solos throughout! Sound quality is everything you've come to expect from Malcolm Addey - just superb! :tup

:tup

All those Roulette sessions had great sound (and Addey does them real justice with his remastering). This is a good choice for a centennial reissue, and its companion two cd compilation set, "Basie and Friends, 100th Birthday Bash" is a great one too.

How I wish they had reissued "Stringing Along with Basie"!

**Edited for spelling and to add title of "companion reissue". . .

Edited by jazzbo

:tup

All those Roulette sessions had great sound (and Addey does them real justice with his remastering). This is a good choice for a centennial reissue, and its companion two cd compilation set is a great one too.

How I wish they had reissued "Stinging Along with Basie"!

What's the name of the companion set?

528493.jpgChris, this is it.

Crap, Chuck, like Clem I can't find the name. I'd laud him if I could. I dig the Roulette sound of almost every session I've heard.

At least Addey lets the original sound shine through, unlike some other remasterers (in my opinion, and I don't think it's audio snobbery to want to hear good sound).

Edited by jazzbo

I don't find the engineer's name in the booklet for the LP set. One drawback of the CD set is that it doesn't include this booklet with Leonard Feather's essay. There's not a lot of musical analysis in the essay, but there are some nice personal details. For example, I was disappointed to read that though Basie loves to play the horses, he's not a smart player. He doesn't know how to handicap a race but instead bets hunches and from the names of the horses. That conflicts with my notion of Basie as hip and shrewd. Also, the LP booklet indentifies the soloists as the CD booklet does not.

I wish they had recorded "One O'Clock Jump" as part of this project, just for the sake of having all of the most famous tunes included.

The sound of the CDs is great. If you look at the wav files, they're real fat. However, this necessitates care in programming these tracks next to tracks from other CDs that have less dense audio, since they tend to have less perceived volume.

Edited by Cornelius

The other day I gave The Complete Atomic Basie, also on Roulette, a relisten and was surprised at the great sound. It's from 1994 and sounds much better than the average reissues of the day. Obviously Addey had his hands at it. I still have got to find an Addey remaster that sounds bad. And I have some. Even Blue Notes (see relevant thread), although admittedly they're not from the 1500 or 4000 series.

Edited by Bluesnik

I must also add that I'm fascinated at the recording technology employed in the fifties. Even with today's possibilities and enhancements nobody would be able to get that much out of the existing audio if there wasn't an excellent substrate. You can clean up sound, OK, but you can't make drums or reeds sound (almost) like today's out of thin air. It's something I've been compelled to explore for a long time.

I just this minute finished listening to a great example of that: the 1950 small group sides on the "Count Basie, America's #1 Band!" box set. All of the remastering on the set is great, but the 1950 small group tracks are astounding for their clarity and presence, as if they were just recorded yesterday. Columbia must have used the aboslute best equipment and engineering then available to record them (original producer was George Avakian, original engineer is not identified).

Edited by Ron S

From the Mosaic booklet:

"All New York selections with the possible exception of the July, 1962 dates were recorded at Capitol Studios, usually with Bob Arnold engineering. All Chicago sessions were done at Universal Recording possibly with Bruce Swedien engineering. All Los Angeles dates were done at United Recorders with Wally Heider engineering."

Also, the early sessions were recorded in real stereo, with the rhythm section on one side, and the horn sections on the other. I've heard an LP of "The Atomic Mr. Basie" that used these stereo masters. Cuscuna considered the mono masters to be superior and used them instead on the Mosaic. He did the same with the "Off To The Races" material on the Byrd/Adams Mosaic, although the TOCJ had used the stereo masters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Mr. Swede; I missed that in the booklet last time I looked.

Much much praise to Bob Arnold, Bruce Swedien and Wally Heider for their probable engineering, so ably brought to digital disc by Mr. Addey.

Amen to that brother. The sound on this is so amazing, it blows me away. But what's incredible is the music, how crisp and fresh it is. This only whets my apptetite for the Mosaic coming out. It should be just amazing.