Feb 15 RVGs

scottb

Aren't the British still in control. Or do we blame the Sunnis?

Well, from what I was just told, you can blame the war in Iraq!

First off, I'm not making this up.

Pete LaRoca's "Basra" has been temporarily withdrawn from the release schedule. There is some pressure to change the title. There is intense sensitivity to our guys dying over there and this sensitivity extends to the Jazz world.

Sorry guys.

BTW, Pete Sims prefers "Lazy Afternoon" and Michael Cuscuna prefers "Candu" (because the number of letters is the same and the cover change would be minimal).

Later,

Kevin

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't the British still in control.  Or do we blame the Sunnis?

Pete LaRoca's "Basra" has been temporarily withdrawn from the release schedule. There is some pressure to change the title. There is intense sensitivity to our guys dying over there and this sensitivity extends to the Jazz world.

Sorry guys.

BTW, Pete Sims prefers "Lazy Afternoon" and Michael Cuscuna prefers "Candu" (because the number of letters is the same and the cover change would be minimal).

Later,

Kevin

That is absolutely insane!!! WTF, not that I need this release, but!... why on earth would one change the name of an artist's art for something that stoopid.... marketing shmarketing but it all goes back to the fact that ya can't trust them idiots in the front office. Might as well strike "Baghdad Blues" from the Silver discog and have Carla Bley go back and get Jack and the others to retake "Rawalpindhi Blues" at the same time.

The minute I see some stretch pant wearin' fatti down at Walmart putting back this LaRoca for the "WAR" reason and the fact that Chemical Ali might play the un-credited durbuke on the bonus track and not for the fact that Joe Henderson is on the money all the time within I will take off my Burka at Berigan's cash register and eat a whole bag of Big League Chew!

We all need to write a collective open letter to Blue Note denouncing this censorship and have it published in Down Beat or Jazz Times. If we all chipped in 5 bucks, i'll bet we could do it. Have it be a joint effort between Jazz Corner, AAJ and Organissimo.

This is bullshit.

Pressure from where??? From who?? (Seriously, what group is pushing for this???)

Honestly, what group has the re-release of a 35+ year old jazz album on their radar????

WTF???? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Aren't the British still in control.  Or do we blame the Sunnis?

Sorry guys.

Later,

Kevin

If they can't release it as "Basra," they shouldn't release it. That's just silly. We're turning into a police state here, and we're doing it to ourselves.

I hope you're joking Kevin. If not, I hope you tell Michael this is insane.

Calm down... I was not given the OK to say who wanted the title changed.

However, it should be noted that the artist in question, Pete LaRoca (Sims) is still alive and, if you notice, he did in fact propose a new title for the session. Put two & two together.

Michael Cuscuna did not want this change. Tom Evered did not want this change.

Later,

Kevin

Hmmm ... well, we all know that sex sells. Why not chop off one of the A's in B-A-S-R-A, do a little anagramming, and then we'd have (yes!) B-R-A-S. Then drop Pete's photo, add some juicy models in push-up undergarments, and EMI could have a Top-10 seller in league with Norah. Leave the music as is, and I say do it.

I don't care who wanted the change. This is near the top of the list for overly sensitive stupidity. Gee, the title is what it is and was - so get on with it as it, is or forget it altogether.

I don't understand what the offense is about the title of the album.

How will renaming or not releasing this title make any difference? I can't see this helping or hurting Basra, or improve the situation in Iraq?!?

Maybe I'm missing something.

I would see this as a great opportunity for Sims to share his feelings about the war. I'm sure a music paper would give coverage to his feelings regarding this release. It's Blue Note; everyone knows Blue Note.

You know, it never even crossed my mind that this 35+ year old album was named after a city in Iraq. I never once made that connection until just now -- when I first read it in this thread. :ph34r:

With songs like "Eiderdown' & 'Lazy Afternoon', it should have been named something like 'Pillow Talk' from the get-go.