Feb 15 RVGs

scottb

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which now brings us to a discussion about any responsibilties, ethical or artistic, that blue note/EMI may have...

noone seemed to fuss over toshiba-EMI's prior reissue...

-e-

nor about the current RVG hitting the british market as "Basra" (thought amazon.co.uk seems to have it on back order at the moment [?] )

nor about the current RVG hitting the british market as "Basra" (thought amazon.co.uk seems to have it on back order at the moment [?] )

Basra does seem to be on back order at amazon.co.uk... so perhaps it's been withdrawn in Britain as well now. I was able to buy it in a CD shop in London, however. I'm glad I did!

All they need to do is say that the album is titled to honor our troops there, blah blah blah. What controversy? You can spin it any way that you want. Keep the title, put an American flag sticker on the packaging. Or a ribbon that says "Support our Troops" akin to the banana sticker on "Peel Slowly and See"

And this is from someone who hates the expression "blah blah blah."

Edited by Adam

Being somewhat of a purist, I would rather them just delay it's release instead of changing the title and artwork. Unless they are trying to create a collector's item that will sell on Ebay in ten years for $1 million!!!

You mean that thing I've been playing in my car all day might be worth that much in the future? :excited:

Man, I'm glad that I don't sell all my old versions before getting the new ones in hand...

;):lol:

After reading all the good things that the board members have said about this in the past I was planning on buying this but obviously this isn't going to happen now and whenever it does come out I probably will not purchase this. LaRoca can take his war drums and thump them down the road afaic.

After reading all the good things that the board members have said about this in the past I was planning on buying this but obviously this isn't going to happen now and whenever it does come out I probably will not purchase this. LaRoca can take his war drums and thump them down the road afaic.

Don't take it so hard, Chris.

I'm sure there are still a few of those Blue Spanish versions hanging around somewhere.

After listening to the Conn version in my car all day, I came to a few conclusions:

--Man, this is good shit!

--Man, this could use a remastering!

--Man, if Scott B could only hear this stuff!

:g

Edited by connoisseur series500

Are there thousands of BASRA liners and discs headed for a landfill somewhere?  Ridiculous....simply ridiculous.

There's a terrific garbage dump located near my city...

If they have printed these up, maybe they could just sell them on the BN website.

A good idea but La Roca would probably pitch a fit about that too.

Are there thousands of BASRA liners and discs headed for a landfill somewhere?  Ridiculous....simply ridiculous.

If they have printed these up, maybe they could just sell them on the BN website.

Since I don't know the whole story, I'm not going to come down on Sims.

I'll save all my venom for Dubya. It's his war. He broke it, he bought it. :P

Edited by AfricaBrass

Since I don't know the whole story, I'm not going to come down on Sims.

I'll save all my venom for Dubya. It's his war. He broke it, he bought it. :P

The inference here was that LaRoca(Sims)had something to do with this . Maybe more information will come out on this in days ahead. Good point about W. :g

Ok, the Basra thing is absolutely ridiculous. I think BN should have told La Roca to go fly a kite, but they didn't, and we'll probably never get that one.

But does anyone have any of the others yet? And if you do, can you kindly share your impressions? I ordered the Brooks, Mobley, and Coles, but won't have them for a few days. The latter two are new to me, though I know what to expect with the Mobley. I have most of his other recordings, but somehow missed out on this one. I have no idea of what to expect with the Coles, though I enjoy Johnny's playing elsewhere (especially on a fine record he made for Uptown with Frank Wess some twenty years ago).

--Man, if Scott B could only hear this stuff

Conn, for your info., this is not one the titles that I got rid of to make room for the RVG. :P

It's worse that that because I have never been able to get my hands on a copy (even a Spanish copy) to listen to! I HAVE NEVER HEARD BASRA! :(

--Man, if Scott B could only hear this stuff

Conn, for your info., this is not one the titles that I got rid of to make room for the RVG. :P

It's worse that that because I have never been able to get my hands on a copy (even a Spanish copy) to listen to! I HAVE NEVER HEARD BASRA! :(

It's no longer "Basra" for crying out loud! :eye:

It's now called "Rio" or "Malta" or "Stockholm" or something of the sort...

;)

Well, this one takes the cake. I have the Spanish BN and am not even wild about it. Anybody want it?

But a couple of people have made the argument of why does the artist get to call the shots. He just has a right to receive royalties. If he had the foresight to retain rights, well hats off to him. But I doubt he retained those rights. You think anyone would care if this came out as Basra. Just do it, and screw Mr. Sims. That's just crazy.