Feb 15 RVGs

scottb

I was able to talk to Tom Evered at Blue Note yesterday and I found out that the reason this CD didn't come out is because they are refusing to modify the artwork or re-title it. Therefore, they're at a bit of a stalemate. Tom says he hopes they can work out the differences but they may not. This re-issue may have to wait until the word "Basra" doesn't have this supposed negative association with it.

I am very understanding of both sides of this situation, even though I thoroughly disagree with how it's going down. If I were in a position to make the call, this would be out as "Basra". Period. However, I wouldn't blame any artist associated with this CD for being worried that some people might find offense. As I said earlier in this thread, there will be people that will take offense.

Of course, the chances of that person being a Jazz fan are pretty slim. :D

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to talk to Tom Evered at Blue Note yesterday and I found out that the reason this CD didn't come out is because they are refusing to modify the artwork or re-title it. Therefore, they're at a bit of a stalemate. Tom says he hopes they can work out the differences but they may not. This re-issue may have to wait until the word "Basra" doesn't have this supposed negative association with it.

I am very understanding of both sides of this situation, even though I thoroughly disagree with how it's going down. If I were in a position to make the call, this would be out as "Basra". Period. However, I wouldn't blame any artist associated with this CD for being worried that some people might find offense. As I said earlier in this thread, there will be people that will take offense.

Of course, the chances of that person being a Jazz fan are pretty slim. :D

Later,

Kevin

Thanks for the info, Kevin.

It's been a while, but I have to give Blue Note... :tup:tup

I'll wait until Vietnam 2 is over if I have to (or buy the Japanese RVG).

Is the request for a title/artwork change coming from the artist or EMI?

I really don't want to say anything negative about Sims if he's not the guilty party, but if he's the hold up then...

If Sims is the holdup - give him the liners to write an impassioned plea for his point of view. That would do much more for his point of view than stifling this work.

I find the new FBI logos on all CDs much more offensive than the reference to Basra.

Edited by AfricaBrass

If Sims is the holdup - give him the liners to write an impassioned plea for his point of view. That would do much more for his point of view than stifling this work.

That is so reasonable a proposal you just know it won't fly.

However, Nonesuch did something similar with their EXPLORER SERIES reissues. Although original artwork and, in some cases, album titles have not been retained, the original liner notes have, and most of them carry the following disclaimer:

"In order to provide a historical context for this recording, the liner notes that accompanied its original release have been reprinted in full below. The text has not been edited to reflect changes in general cultural perceptions or specific factual information that may have occurred since then."

Edited by Joe

A lot of people seem to be jumping to the conclusion that Sims wanted the title changed because of his support of the war. But I've seen no evidence to back this up. Honestly, we know so little of the reasons behind this - both personal and political - that I think the speculation is doing a disservice to the artist. He may be in favor of the war (and in that case "so what?" - he's entitled to his opinion) but we really don't know that. He just may be more sensitive to any possible "offensiveness" than we are - he's the one, after all, who (in his mind at least) could lose gigs over something like this.

Also, I'm not sure what Sims being a lawyer has to do with any of this. Are some of you guys implying that being a lawyer automatically makes him a conservative/Republican/warmonger? If so, I find that generaliztion very offensive, and believe me it would come as a shock to my very liberal lawyer wife.

When I first got this as an LP many years ago, the name immediately conjured up visions of all those Arabian Nights fantasies I saw in technicolor on the screen as a kid .. shades of the great Maria Montez, and John Hall, flashing swords and girls in veils languishing around in harems ... NOW ... I have to think about dead bodies, car bombs and the Bush policy of world domination .. what crap!

...I think that I will hang on to my Conn .. it sounds just fine ..

Edited by garthsj

What I don't understand is given the stalemate at Blue Note, how come they have been reissued in England?

Blue Note in the EU is different from Blue Note in the US which is different from Blue Note in Japan, etc.

They are different divisions of EMI. Blue Note's EU arm apparently never heard of any reason to stop this reissue or, if they did hear, chose to release it anyway. I'd have done the same thing if I were in their shoes.

Later,

Kevin

I am witholding criticism on anyone, Sims, the label, until we find out the true facts.

Sims could be against the war; everybody seems to assume he supports it.

Blue Note's intransigence on reissuing it could be viewed in two ways--one noble, the other not. (a) They don't want to spend the $ to redo the artwork and retitling or (b) they view this as an historical artwork and do not want to revise it in any way. I hope they are motivated by the latter rather than the former.

In the meantime, if this has been released in Europe, I would imagine that any resistance to reissuing it here in its original forms will be greatly lessened. Sims will eventually relent (if he is indeed in opposition to its release in its original form.)

Some patience everyone, and we'll probably see it reissued here.

The HEAVY SOUL RVG is my first, ever, listen/purchase of Ike Quebec material. I do have the Bennie Green Select on which Quebec plays on a couple of tunes. The Bennie Green Select doesn't have enough of Quebec to really 'hear' Quebec's playing.

I'm impressed with HEAVY SOUL. I've played the CD many times since receiving the RVG yesterday. Quebec reminds me, mostly, of himself... Quebec. Other times I have thoughts of Stanley Turrentine. Freddie Roach's organ (no pun intended :huh:) is equally impressive as Quebec's tenor.

Edited by wesbed

There ain't a dud moment in Ike's late 50s-early 60s BN catalog. Bossa Nova Soul Samba, It Might as Well be Spring and the rest of the Easy Living CD (it's mostly Congo Lament material, but there's extra stuff) are all highly recommended. And his playing on Grant's B2BB is gorgeous.

The 45 Sessions Mosaic's sweet, too...

Edited by sjarrell

Blue Note's intransigence on reissuing it could be viewed in two ways--one noble, the other not. (a) They don't want to spend the $ to redo the artwork and retitling or (b) they view this as an historical artwork and do not want to revise it in any way. I hope they are motivated by the latter rather than the former.

I was told in no uncertain terms that Blue Note's refusal to reissue it right now is because of b. Tom said they are not going to redo the artwork. His comment was something like, "We don't mess with these classics".

That said, it'll probably come out as "Lazy Afternoon" on Monday. :D

Later,

Kevin

Wes, you've got to hear Ike's Blue and Sentimental. I LOVE that album. It has Ike, Grant Green, Paul Chambers, and Philly Joe Jones on it. This one should get the RVG treatment. It's a great album.

I don't know if we'll ever see this one as an RVG. I mean, the word 'blue' reminds me of 'Blue States.' Then I start thinking of the Blue States versus the Red States. Before you know it the whole thing just becomes way too political.

Note: posted with apologies to Kevin Bresnahan. I am very appreciative of knowing the truth about the BASRA fiasco.

Edited by wesbed

Blue Note's intransigence on reissuing it could be viewed in two ways--one noble, the other not.  (a) They don't want to spend the $ to redo the artwork and retitling or (b) they view this as an historical artwork and do not want to revise it in any way.  I hope they are motivated by the latter rather than the former.

I was told in no uncertain terms that Blue Note's refusal to reissue it right now is because of b. Tom said they are not going to redo the artwork. His comment was something like, "We don't mess with these classics".

That said, it'll probably come out as "Lazy Afternoon" on Monday. :D

Later,

Kevin

Now that's the Blue Note I can support. :tup

Thumbs up to Tom and SORRY for all the mean things I said and thought after the whole BNBB shutdown. Friends? ;)

Maybe we can get a rush job of the Gigolo or Blue and Sentimental since this last RVG batch was smaller than usual. :lol:

I guy has got to try... :g