Yourmusic.com corner

Big Al

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

cross post from the "On the Corner" box thread.....

Has anyone else noticed that (apparently) all of the CBS titles are gone from the Yourmusic/BMG sites???????? No more Miles boxes are available. Ditto on Dylan.

Oh, man! What a drag. I was (like many here, I'm sure) planning to get the On the Corner box there. And that's where I've bought the majority of my Dylan collection. Ah, well. I've got ECMs stacked up for the next six months or so....

Stefano Battaglia - re: Pasolini (2cd)

Sean Jones - Kaleidoscope

Coleman Hawkins All Stars - At Newport (this is showing on BMG, I assume it will show up on yourmusic shortly too)

Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday - At Newport (ditto)

Ella Fitzgerald - Very Best of the Duke Ellington Song Book (ditto)

Dizzy Gillespie - At Newport (ditto)

Oscar Peterson - At Newport (ditto)

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

Mark Knopfler/Emmylou Harris - Real Live Roadrunning (cd/dvd)

Coleman Hawkins All Stars - At Newport (this is showing on BMG, I assume it will show up on yourmusic shortly too)

Dammit, I just bought the Peterson and the Hawkins this weekend (for 11.99 each)! I thought I bought the Gillespie, but apparently I put it back (y'gotta understand, I was at Waterloo going apeshit and spent over $100). So, at least I can order the Gillespie at the reduced rate.

But still...... (whine whine whine whine whine)

Edited by Big Al

Dammit, I just bought the Peterson and the Hawkins this weekend (for 11.99 each)! I thought I bought the Gillespie, but apparently I put it back (y'gotta understand, I was at Waterloo going apeshit and spent over $100). So, at least I can order the Gillespie at the reduced rate.

You should have skipped the Hawkins, it sounds like an off day for him, and Pete Brown (who I like on a Classics compilation) is having a really bad day on this date.

You should have skipped the Hawkins, it sounds like an off day for him, and Pete Brown (who I like on a Classics compilation) is having a really bad day on this date.

Really? I'm listening right now and these guys sound like they're on fire to me! Diff'rent strokes, I guess. :)

It has seemed to me that there hasn't been much conversation the past few months both here and at the "What's next on your queue?" thread. Maybe the thrill of cheap CDs is wearing off.

Granted, there hasn't been much in the way of new listings, but I'm not seeing comments about great finds and such either. Perhaps folks here either buy a CD when it's first put on the list or not at all.

As I mentioned on the other thread, one day I just perused through the catalogue with nothing better to do, and discovered that they had Gerry Mulligan's Jeru. That has turned out to be the best album I've picked up from Your Music. (Unfortunately, it's a Columbia, so it's no longer available.)

So I figure there must be other gems waiting to be had, but we're not talking about them!

It has seemed to me that there hasn't been much conversation the past few months both here and at the "What's next on your queue?" thread. Maybe the thrill of cheap CDs is wearing off.

Not really. I don't usually post what's in my queue as I use yourmusic in many different ways. Sometimes I'll pick something with the live-in in mind, such as Traffic's "The Low Spark..." (though I like it too.) 2 months ago. Last month it was the Merle 2-fer of "Mama Tried/Pride In What I Am?" Up next is Alejandro Escovedo's "The Boxing Mirror" unless it gets bumped for something else. Some things in the queue are to replace badly scratched old favorites (Neil Young's "Zuma.") Haven't been grabbing much jazz as classical is "newer" for me. I'm probably confusing them by alternating between country & classical picks. I guess the last jazz pick was Andrew Hill's "Compulsion."

I've got 48 things in my queue, though many won't be gotten. Some are there just to remind myself to investigate further, others to remind me about gift ideas.

I've been having a hankering for some Beethoven string quartets, and saw Chuck's rec regarding the Takacs Quartets. As these are multiple disc sets it'll entail a non-queue purchase. And probably fairly soon - a little gift to myself for finishing holiday shopping perhaps. :)

A new album by Duke Jordan is coming soon!

Check here to be notified by email when it is available. (Blue Note re-issue?)

A new album by Ella Fitzgerald is coming soon!

Check here to be notified by email when it is available. (Live at Mister Kelly's 2-CD? Verve?)

Edited by Tjazz