1957 Miles Davis/Barney Wilen concert

ghost of miles

The music from this concert which, by the way, is excellent has been issued both on LP and on CD by the Celluloid label. Lonehill claims the music is previously unissued, but then the Lonehill/Fresh Sounds/Blue Moon/Definitive conglomerate seem more than happy to mislead jazz collectors. To be fair, they have put some good stuff back into circulation: the Manny Albam sessions, for example, but one must do a little careful research before ordering their CDs.

To be fair, they have put some good stuff back into circulation: the Manny Albam sessions, for example, but one must do a little careful research before ordering their CDs.

Which Manny Albam Sessions? West Side Story by any chance?

Joe .. The Lonehill album referred to is: " Jazz Greats Of Our Time" .. a 2-CD set with Farmer, Edison, Candoli, Brookmeyer, Woods, Sims, Cohn, Mulligan, Holman, Mariano, Adams, Hank Jones, Lou Levy, Milt Hinton, Red Mitchell, and Shelly Manne ... You should definitely have this. it was formerly on Coral records ...

Garth.

P.S. Yes.. a reissue of Albam's West Side Story is long overdue .... Maybe Fresh Sounds will do it.

The music from this concert which, by the way, is excellent has been issued both on LP and on CD by the Celluloid label. Lonehill claims the music is previously unissued, but then the Lonehill/Fresh Sounds/Blue Moon/Definitive conglomerate seem more than happy to mislead jazz collectors.

Indeed, I do have the Celluloid 2 LP set of "The Complete Amsterdam Concert, 8 December 1957". For those wondering how "complete" subsequent CD reissues are, here is the list of tracks on this set:

Side 1:

Woody'n You (5:03)

Bags' Groove (7:00)

Side 2:

What's New (3:38)

But Not for Me (6:49)

A Night in Tunisia (7:15)

Side 3:

Four (4:28)

Walkin' (6:34)

Well You Needn't (5:26)

Side 4:

'Round Midnight (5:33)

Lady Bird (5:30)

Since the timings above check in at under 57 minutes total, it's obvious that the entire concert can easily be accommodated by one CD.

The music from this concert which, by the way, is excellent has been issued both on LP and on CD by the Celluloid label.

Amsterdam.jpg

Yes- originally 2 LP's, then on one CD.

The cover art is 'Les Musiciens d'Amsterdam'. Painting by Mary Moor. Fans of Barney Wilen will know who that is!

Hope Lonehill got hold of the original Celluloid double LP, the initial release from 1984.

Understand the reissues had a damaged version of 'Well You Needn't'.

Here´s the info from Fresh Sound Records website:

Amsterdam Concert

Miles Davis Quintet

Featuring: Miles Davis (tp), Barney Wilen (ts), René Urtreger (p), Pierre Michelot (b), Kenny Clarke (d)

REFERENCE: LHJ10141

c3809.jpg

One of the least known Miles Davis recordings around, this release contains the complete Amsterdam Concertgebouw Broadcast recorded on December 8, 1957 with the talented tenor saxophonist Barney Wilen and the René Urtreger quartet. A recording which has remained virtually unavailable on any format for decades, Lone Hill Jazz is proud to put this hidden gem back into circulation. Although the sound quality is imperfect, the outstanding performances by the musicians – most notably Miles himself – more than make up for it.

Tracklisting:

1. Woody ‘n’ You (D. Gillespie)

2. Bag’s Groove (M. Jackson)

3. What’s New (Haggart-Burke)

4. But Not For Me (G. Gershwin-I. Gershwin)

5. A Night In Tunisia (Gillespie-Paparelli)

6. Four (M. Davis)

7. Walkin’ (R. Carpenter)

8. Well You Needn’t (T. Monk)

9. Round About Midnight (Monk-Hanighen-Williams)

10. Lady Bird (T. Dameron-N. Heath)

“While I was in Paris writing the music for Malle’s film, I was playing at the Club St. Germain, with Kenny Clarke on drums, Pierre Michelot on bass, Barney Wilen on saxophone and René Urtreger on piano. I remember this gig because a lot of French critics got mad when I wouldn’t talk from the bandstand and introduce tunes like everyone else did, because I thought the music spoke for itself. They thought I was arrogant and snubbing them. They were used to all those black musicians who came over there grinning and scratching up on stage. There was only one critic who understood what I was doing and didn’t come down hard on me and that was André Hodeir, who I thought was one of the best music critics I had come across. Anyway, none of that shit bothered me, and I just kept on doing what I was doing. It didn’t seem to disturb the people who came to listen because the club was jam-packed every night.” – Miles Davis

After reading this thread last night and again this morning, I have been listening to the Celluloid CD. First of all, let me say that I've had this CD for nearly 10 years, but have not played it very often. I would have sold my LP copy when I got the CD, so my memory of the sound quality on the vinyl version is practically nonexistent.

After reading brownie's post, I played "well you needn't" (track 8) first. It is pretty bad, with intermittent noise/static. I don't know exactly what caused it, but it's irregular/inconsistent and fairly distracting. As I continued with tracks 9 and 10, I realized that the noise continued on those tracks (no wonder I haven't played this so often). I backtracked to tracks 7, 6, and 5, and although the severity of the noise varies from track to track, it does occur. So, it's not just "well you needn't" that is faulty on this CD version. The first 5 tracks seem to be relatively noise free, although the sound quality (especially noticeable in terms of Klook's cymbals) is not great. I see in EKE BBB's post that Fresh Sound mentions that the sound is "imperfect", so it's no great surprise.

I suppose my question is... for those who still have the vinyl, are the noise problems on the latter tracks very serious? Are they there at all? I don't plan to go out and buy back the LP's, I'm only curious.

I suppose my question is... for those who still have the vinyl, are the noise problems on the latter tracks very serious? Are they there at all? I don't plan to go out and buy back the LP's, I'm only curious.

Listened to the double vinyl of the concert this morning. Real trouble starts with 'Walkin''.

Don't know the source of the tape but I am pretty sure it originates from a pickup from a pre-FM radio broadcast. The noise sounds so much like what I was hearing over the radio at the time the concert was held!

It's a bother but I don't mind it THAT much. Just glad to have a chance to hear the concert music, warts and all...

I would be very surprised if the Lonehill did NOT have the sound which like Brownie I believe is from the original recording of the broadcast or the broadcast itself. Sounds like a bad vacuum tube to me! But it's still listnable; I'm quite tolerant of this sort of stuff.

Hope Lonehill got hold of the original Celluloid double LP, the initial release from 1984.

Understand the reissues had a damaged version of 'Well You Needn't'.

I really don't want to appear as being nitpicky here, but it was this comment in particular that raised my curiosity. Perhaps the sound on the original LP's is equally as imperfect as the (Celluloid) CD, and the rumor therefore somewhat misleading. At any rate, I too find it listenable, but I suppose I tend to listen to recordings with subpar sound a bit less often than those that sound quite good.