Mosaic distributed in Europe

ASNL77

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got in on this deal and it's great except that my box came with a defective Disc 6 (hope nobody else has this problem). Now I have to ship the whole thing back to Caiman and hope I get a replacement box. Tried to get just a replacement Disc 6 from both Caiman or Mosaic but it didn't work out. I hope Caiman comes through for me with the replacement box. :angry:  :(

What's wrong with Disc 6? No problems with mine from Caiman (at least the first time I listened through). I've returned a defective CD (not from the Farlow set) to Caiman before, and they sent a brand-new replacement. You just may have to send them an email in a couple of weeks reminding them to send the new one (their return label is Media Mail COD, so who knows when they actually receive the returns). I did that, and they sent the new one immediately thereafter. :tup

Got in on this deal and it's great except that my box came with a defective Disc 6 (hope nobody else has this problem). Now I have to ship the whole thing back to Caiman and hope I get a replacement box. Tried to get just a replacement Disc 6 from both Caiman or Mosaic but it didn't work out. I hope Caiman comes through for me with the replacement box. :angry:  :(

I received my discounted Tal farlow set

in the mail last Saturday from "Music Media" out of FL.

I managed to listen to the first 5 discs over the weekend

before putting it away.

I'll be certain to listen to disc 6 tonight now.

What exactly is wrong with your copy John??

Thanks for the heads up.

Don

Got in on this deal and it's great except that my box came with a defective Disc 6 (hope nobody else has this problem). Now I have to ship the whole thing back to Caiman and hope I get a replacement box. Tried to get just a replacement Disc 6 from both Caiman or Mosaic but it didn't work out. I hope Caiman comes through for me with the replacement box. :angry::(

Do you have a repeating knock for the first few seconds of track one?

Do you have a repeating knock for the first few seconds of track one?

I don't. I'm listening to Disc 6 again now--no problems yet.

I received mine a month ago but I have only just listened to disc 6 and there is a problem too. There is a constant 'scratchy noise' on track 1 for about one minute. I am now listening to track 5 and it's been fine since but that's a bad surprise. Not sure what to do as I got my set from Amazon.UK.Get in touch with Amazon or Mosaic? :(

Guest DizzySpells

I received mine a month ago but I have only just listened to disc 6 and there is a problem too. There is a constant 'scratchy noise' on track 1 for about one minute. I am now listening to track 5 and it's been fine since but that's a bad surprise. Not sure what to do as I got my set from Amazon.UK.Get in touch with Amazon or Mosaic?  :(

Will you guys just shut up already? ;) You made me run and check my disc. No problems there (checked it on two players to make sure).

It reminds me though of the many DVD box sets I have which I bought last year and still haven't watched. Reading about many errors on box sets on various DVD boards (there seems to be serious quality control issues also with some of the bigger companies ... many errors on the LOTR box sets, the 24 seasons from the UK, etc.), I'd hate to get around to the discs and actually figure out that mine don't play and I'm out of luck when it comes to returning them. :(

Edited by DizzySpells

I received mine a month ago but I have only just listened to disc 6 and there is a problem too. There is a constant 'scratchy noise' on track 1 for about one minute. I am now listening to track 5 and it's been fine since but that's a bad surprise. Not sure what to do as I got my set from Amazon.UK.Get in touch with Amazon or Mosaic?  :(

If you're talking about what I think you are, I don't think it's a defect in the disc. It's in the original source tape, and is most noticeable at the very beginning of the track when just the piano is playing. If the disc were defective, it wouldn't play at all, or would skip or repeat with the tell-tale clicking noise that CDs make when they skip or get stuck.

My Disc 6 has the bad scratchy noise during the first track too -- it sounds like loud white noise. Maybe this is not a defect but it sures seems like something is wrong with the Disc. There are no visible scratches on the disc surface and thats why I thought it was a manufacturing problem. But if everyone has it then maybe I won't be sending my set back.

Do more of you have this noise in the first track of the disc?????

PLEASE LET ME KNOW BEFORE I SEND IT BACK. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

:wacko::blink:

Guest DizzySpells

My Disc 6 has the bad scratchy noise during the first track too -- it sounds like loud white noise. Maybe this is not a defect but it sures seems like something is wrong with the Disc. There are no visible scratches on the disc surface and thats why I thought it was a manufacturing problem. But if everyone has it then maybe I won't be sending my set back.

:wacko:  :blink:

I have a pretty decent stereo system, and three pairs of Sennheiser headphones.

I've replayed track one seven times now, very carefully.

There is no defect on that recording (at least not on the tape).

If you are in fact hearing white noise, or somesuch, it must be a manufacturing defect.

As John said: Give detailed time indications and I'll listen again.

P.S.: What kind of system are you listening on? Hope you don't misunderstand this (!!!), but I've had someone complain about white noise on another disc months ago and it turned out to be brushes up-front in the mix, which are quite prominent on this tune as well.

Edited by DizzySpells

:wacko:  :blink:

Besides normal tape hiss (which I think is what you're hearing when, e.g., only the piano is playing at the beginning of track 1), and brushes on a drumhead, you may also be hearing this (from the discography in the set booklet):

PRODUCER’S NOTE

Throughout the set, occasional ticks or clicks come from the electric guitar and buzzes come from the guitar amp.

FWIW, I also listened to this track on a pair of Sennheiser headphones (HD 600's).

Edited by Ron S

BTW, I'm also hearing--through the Sennheiser HD 600's--a lot of "white noise" on track 1 of Disc 5 ("Isn't It Romantic"). If that noise is similar to what you're hearing on track 1 of Disc 6, it's definitely hiss and distortion in the original source tape.

BTW, I'm also hearing--through the Sennheiser HD 600's--a lot of "white noise" on track 1 of Disc 5 ("Isn't It Romantic"). If that noise is similar to what you're hearing on track 1 of Disc 6, it's definitely hiss and distortion in the original source tape.

I will do a proper test when the football game is over but I am not sure we are talking about the same thing here. The noise on my CD is not minor. It sounds a bit like the CD was jumping and it lasts for about a minute. More from me about this matter after the game!

I don't have the Disc with me here at work but I would say the first minute and a half of the very first track on Disc 6 has the scratchy noise.

After thinking about it, it does almost sound like scratch that you might hear on an old record. The noise is is pretty prevalent and you really couldn't miss hearing it. I don't think there was any mention of this in the Mosaic booklet where they usually tell you about noise and tape problems.

If it's found on everyone's Disc then I will feel better that it wasn't just my disc and I won't have to send it back.

Thanks for all your responses to this question!!

:g . Sorry for the delay but football is very important in this part of the world. I am now listening to track 1 of disc 6. 'Scratchy noise from beginning to 00.37 sec. The rest of the track is fine and I am going to listen to the rest of the disc now. Edited by ASNL77

:g . Sorry for the delay but football is very important in this part of the world. I am now listening to track 1 of disc 6. 'Scratchy noise from beginning to 00.37 sec. The rest of the track is fine and I am going to listen to the rest of the disc now.

No scratchy noise on disc 6/track 1 here--but then again, our football season's been over for a while. :rolleyes:

If you bought the set from Caiman via Amazon, contact Caiman directly and they'll take it back in exchange for a new one.

:g . Sorry for the delay but football is very important in this part of the world. I am now listening to track 1 of disc 6. 'Scratchy noise from beginning to 00.37 sec. The rest of the track is fine and I am going to listen to the rest of the disc now.

No scratchy noise on disc 6/track 1 here--but then again, our football season's been over for a while. :rolleyes:

If you bought the set from Caiman via Amazon, contact Caiman directly and they'll take it back in exchange for a new one.

I didn't get it from Caiman but Amazon and I paid more than most of you!! I will get in touch with them but I doubt they will change the one defective CD. Mosaic might be easier to deal with and they may be a bit more co-operative.

Edited by ASNL77

On my disc 6/track 1 (from Caiman), I'm getting a oscillating/phasing type of sound, but after that it's fine.

Here's my question. Is this disc copy protected? I have never dealt with copy protection, but I think it is. When I tried to rip it using EAC, it's taking forever to rip. When I try to just play it in my computer, it skips around a bit. When I play it on a regular cd player, it sounds fine (except for that oscillating/phasing sound on track 1 I mentioned).

:unsure:

I didn't get it from Caiman but Amazon and I paid more than most of you!! I will get in touch with them but I doubt they will change the one defective CD. Mosaic might be easier to deal with and they may be a bit more co-operative.

Amazon will want you to return the whole set so they can send you a new one, but they'll pay the return shipping cost.

On my disc 6/track 1 (from Caiman), I'm getting a oscillating/phasing type of sound, but after that it's fine.

Jeff,

I'm now wondering if this is something in the original source tape that is only apparent when played back on certain equipment. As you and I discussed earlier, these "European" sets were in fact manufactured in the U.S., presumably at the same place and time as the regular Mosaic sets, so there's no reason to believe they should have--as a group--manufacturing defects that the U.S. Mosaics don't have. Maybe it's time for someone to call Mosaic.