Mosaic distributed in Europe

ASNL77

Do you know if the Mosaic sets distributed in Europe are different from those distributed by Mosaic themselves? If they are, what are the differences? Are they numbered? Are the boxes, the booklets and the photos the same. I am thinking of buying the Tal Farlow set as Mosaic charge huge shipping costs for Europe. Thanks for your help! ;)

Edited by ASNL77

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The booklets aren't numbered, and the set doesn't have a Mosaic CD number like "MDX-XXX", but everything else's the same. I have the European Mulligan Concert Jazz Band Mosaic; on the inside cover of the booklet it says "This is one of a limited edition of 7,500 albums", and the CD number is B0000958-02.

Edited by J.A.W.

These are the Verve sets, right? No handwritten numbering, just a mention that this is a limited set of XXX copies. They come with an extra sheet at the back with some info and Verve written over it. The booklet is the same. I think the "label number" on the spine of the box is different and one of these boxes (forgot which one, not the Farlow AFAICRemember) comes with wrong text on the spine.

All in all, if you just want the music and the booklet save yourself some shipping.

I think the "label number" on the spine of the box is different and one of these boxes (forgot which one, not the Farlow AFAICRemember) comes with wrong text on the spine.

Yep, that would be the Mulligan CJB. It's got the wrong - or rather incomplete - text both on the box and the booklet: The Complete Verve Gerry Mulligan Concert Band Sessions.

Edited by J.A.W.

Jacques Chirac is going to be proud of me  ^_^

Errr... I wouldn't be too sure of that, it's still American music...

Besides Chirac's tastes in music are very basic. He hates it. He tolerates some military music and that's about it :o

Music from any of the Mosaic sets would just bore him!

Jacques Chirac is going to be proud of me  ^_^

Errr... I wouldn't be too sure of that, it's still American music...

ah, but he can have the box wrapped up by one of the cute girls who work at FNAC or Virgin ^_^

Yep! and it is better than listening to Chirac talking rubbish.

£62 for the Farlow set.It is the same price as on the Mosaic website.

Thanks to all of you for info. Can't wait listening to this set. It seems to be very good stuff.

damn ...thought I had scored a cheap way to get the new andrew hill :angry:

Mosaic selects are also distributed e.g. through amazon, but cost about twice as much compared to buying from Mosaic direct. The only interesting items are the larger Verve boxes, which come at the same price as when ordered through Mosaic, but with considerably less postage costs and no taxes at the border.

The European version is available stateside at www.towerrecords.com for $66.99 (listed as Complete Tal Farlow). Wonder how that happened?

It's listed as an import. And that's with free shipping (although Tower.com started charging sales tax last year). So, is it worth an extra $50-60 to get a numbered US set? :blink:

And U.S. Amazon has it for $62.99 with free shipping, while some of the Amazon Marketplace sellers (e.g., Caiman.com :tup) have it for $48.09 plus $2.49 shipping! I wonder if perhaps this set isn't selling nearly as well as had been expected in Europe and/or the U.S., and with a commitment to a run of 10,000 they're trying to dump some. Mosaic may not drop the price of an individual set they sell directly, but they can accomplish the same thing by lowering the price on European sets sold in Europe and the U.S. Or, on the other hand, Universal may be acting independently of Mosaic. :wacko:

Just ordered one of the $48 sets.  :excited:  (Had remaining Amazon credit, so it ended up just over $10 out of pocket.)  Will let everyone know what I receive.

I've had a lot of good luck with Caiman.com on Amazon (one of the merchants w/$48 Farlow set). If they actually have what you order (their listing on this set says they do), they send it out w/in a couple of days, well-packed and brand-new. If they don't actually have it in stock, an email inquiry in a few days will get you an immediate refund. And if an item is defective, they'll pay for return postage (happened to me once). I ordered the Farlow set from them today. :g