Mosaic distributed in Europe

ASNL77

On my disc 6/track 1 (from Caiman), I'm getting a oscillating/phasing type of sound, but after that it's fine.

Jeff,

I'm now wondering if this is something in the original source tape that is only apparent when played back on certain equipment. As you and I discussed earlier, these "European" sets were in fact manufactured in the U.S., presumably at the same place and time as the regular Mosaic sets, so there's no reason to believe they should have--as a group--manufacturing defects that the U.S. Mosaics don't have. Maybe it's time for someone to call Mosaic.

It's really curious.

I don't have the huevos to call Mosaic and ask about the super cheap European set... :P

I'm still happy with the set; I just don't know about copy protection and I was curious.

:g

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have the huevos to call Mosaic and ask about the super cheap European set... 

Well, I think Mosaic is still responsible for producing it, even though it's marketed by Universal/Verve. Mosaic's name is all over the CDs and booklet. It's not like Mosaic licensed the master tapes to Universal, who then remastered and did who knows what to them. In fact, it's the opposite--Universal licensed the tapes to Mosaic, who then remastered them and produced the sets, including the ones Universal then distributes. So even though Mosaic didn't retail the "European" sets, it did produce them and may have answers for these types of questions about those sets.

But you still don't have the huevos. :g

I don't have the huevos to call Mosaic and ask about the super cheap European set... 

Well, I think Mosaic is still responsible for producing it, even though it's marketed by Universal/Verve. Mosaic's name is all over the CDs and booklet. It's not like Mosaic licensed the master tapes to Universal, who then remastered and did who knows what to them. In fact, it's the opposite--Universal licensed the tapes to Mosaic, who then remastered them and produced the sets, including the ones Universal then distributes. So even though Mosaic didn't retail the "European" sets, it did produce them and may have answers for these types of questions about those sets.

:lol:

I can just see the phone call to Mosaic going well.

me: "My Farlow set is messed up"

them: "Let us send you a replacement disc"

me: "Um... well I bought a European set from Caiman for $50"

them: "I guess you should contact Caiman, you cheap @#$%@$%@"

I'm not going to do it, you do it... :P

I can just see the phone call to Mosaic going well.

me: "My Farlow set is messed up"

them: "Let us send you a replacement disc"

me: "Um... well I bought a European set from Caiman for $50"

them: "I guess you should contact Caiman, you cheap @#$%@$%@"

I'm not going to do it, you do it... :P

LOL...

I hope someone on this board has the .... to call...

On my disc 6/track 1 (from Caiman), I'm getting a oscillating/phasing type of sound, but after that it's fine.

Here's my question. Is this disc copy protected? I have never dealt with copy protection, but I think it is. When I tried to rip it using EAC, it's taking forever to rip. When I try to just play it in my computer, it skips around a bit. When I play it on a regular cd player, it sounds fine (except for that oscillating/phasing sound on track 1 I mentioned).

:unsure:

I just burned a backup copy of disc 1 of my "European" Farlow

set for playing in my car, etc. It appeared to copy just fine:

I'm listening to the burned disc now. I'll report back if I encounter

any problems with the other discs as I get to them. I only burn at

8X so it takes me close to 10 minutes per disc.

I haven't tried ripping them to MP3 yet though.

So far my "European" set looks like, sounds like,

and burns like the good ol' USA version.

Works for me...........

Don

if copy protection is involved, European law requires that it be mentioned. No mention, no protect. I have had no problems playing this disk on either my regular CD player, not my diskman, nor may computer drive.

Will be scrolling back for that oscillating/phasing stuff now, don't think there's any of that either on my disk though.

I talked to Mosaic but didn't let them know I got it from Caiman -- didn't want to blow a good thing!! They wouldn't break up a set to replace Disc 6 and told me to send the whole thing back to whoever I got it from. Have to admit I felt a little guilty talking to them (I've bought 30+ full sets and all 16 Selects from them) but then I remembered what a great price I got!! :)

I definitely have an oscillating sound at the beggining of track 1 on Disc 6. Hate to have to send the whole thing back and with my luck they won't have any more to replace it!!

AGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dilemma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I talked to Mosaic but didn't let them know I got it from Caiman -- didn't want to blow a good thing!! They wouldn't break up a set to replace Disc 6 and told me to send the whole thing back to whoever I got it from. Have to admit I felt a little guilty talking to them (I've bought 30+ full sets and all 16 Selects from them) but then I remembered what a great price I got!! :)

I definitely have an oscillating sound at the beggining of track 1 on Disc 6. Hate to have to send the whole thing back and with my luck they won't have any more to replace it!!

AGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dilemma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for having the guts to call, John. :tup

I think I just got a funky disc then... :ph34r:

Mosaic will probably ban me for life from purchasing anything more from them because I bought a set from an "unknown source :ph34r: "!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know they've tagged my file!!!!!!! :(

...oh well, I guess I'll save some money...and be depressed for the rest of my life... :wacko:

Could one of you guys with the possibly defective disc 6 rip a copy (WAV or MP3 file) of the section of track 1 where you hear the problem, and make it available for some of the rest of us to hear and compare to our discs? That could clear up whether this truly is a defect in your disc, and not just something on the source tape. Since many of us received "European" Farlow sets without a problem on Disc 6, it would probably be worth returning your set if it is defective to get another one.

Mosaic will probably ban me for life from purchasing anything more from them because I bought a set from an "unknown source :ph34r: "!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know they've tagged my file!!!!!!! :(

...oh well, I guess I'll save some money...and be depressed for the rest of my life... :wacko:

I'm sure if you buy more sets in the future from them, they'll forgive you.

:g

Thanks for your courage. :tup

Could one of you guys with the possibly defective disc 6 rip a copy (WAV or MP3 file) of the section of track 1 where you hear the problem, and make it available for some of the rest of us to hear and compare to our discs? That could clear up whether this truly is a defect in your disc, and not just something on the source tape. Since many of us received "European" Farlow sets without a problem on Disc 6, it would probably be worth returning your set if it is defective to get another one.

I can't even rip my disc 6. :(

Hey, it's not like these are bootlegs or stolen or anything illegal. They are being widely and openly distributed in the US by some pretty big players (CD Universe, Amazon, Tower, etc.). I'm sure that if Mosaic had a problem with this, they'd have done something by now to shut it down.

You'd know you had the error if you heard it. It's very obvious.  :(

Then I say return the set to Caiman and get another one. It may have been a terrific deal, but it's still 50 bucks and you're entitled to a perfect set. And Caiman will pay the return shipping and send you a brand-new set. Unless it doesn't bother you at all, and/or you have no huevos--oh yeah, I forgot. :g

Sorry about your wife--maybe you should try serenading her with one of your 57 guitars. :rolleyes:

You'd know you had the error if you heard it. It's very obvious.  :(

Then I say return the set to Caiman and get another one. It may have been a terrific deal, but it's still 50 bucks and you're entitled to a perfect set. And Caiman will pay the return shipping and send you a brand-new set. Unless it doesn't bother you at all, and/or you have no huevos--oh yeah, I forgot. :g

Sorry about your wife--maybe you should try serenading her with one of your 57 guitars. :rolleyes:

I don't mind sending it back, but I'm concerned I won't end up with a set at all.

It's a hard call, it's just one track... :ph34r:

I've given the first track of disk 6 yet another check and I don't hear any problems. No oscillations other than the brush work from the drummer. Sounds fine.

I suspect that this one is also not copy protected, otherwise my CD player would have thrown out an immediate wobbly.

Maybe there's some voodoo being applied to these sets from Mosaic HQ?.... :lol:

Sorry, I've just played the disc again. My memory is faulty, it is a scratchy noise not a knock as I mentioned earlier. I'm sure this wasn't on the equivalent Verve cd. I was going to contact Verve in the UK but they are hard to find so I gave up. There is no contact address for Verve on the box.

The best bet would be for Verve to acknowledge there is a problem and replace the defective discs.

You might want to try calling The Verve Music Group (distributor of the set) in New York City at 212-331-2000. I've found on a few occasions--although with other record companies--that by calling and being bounced around from person to person to person, I've eventually spoken with someone who can deal with a defective CD issue.