Barbara Dennerlein

slide_advantage_redoux

What's the general consensus on Munich's Barbara Dennerlein? I lived in Bavaria in the late 80s for awhile, and I did a handful of gigs with her. She commonly played with a front line of 3 or 4 horns.

I recall her being pretty decent, and a sincere student of the organ. She took the heritage seriously, but she was so damned gorgeous that it was hard to take HER seriously. Yeah, I am being sexist so sue me.

Her dad always came to all the gigs, and he carted her B3 and Leslies in. Can't begrudge her for that I suppose.

I just wondered how she ranks in fellow organist's opinions.

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

She is a pedal monster. Her pedal technique is ridiculous. I wish she would do more small-group records, although I have enjoyed parts of her last few records. My favorite of hers is one that was on the Enja label with just a quartet. Mitch Watkins on guitar, Ronnie Burrage on drums, and Ray Anderson on trombone (that's not you, is it?) I like that record because the small line-up allows everyone to stretch out, including Dennerlein.

I'd love to see her live. I think she did a double-bill on a Pete Fallico produced organ show on the west coast last year with Rhoda Scott. That would've been a great show to see.

How long did you play with her?

Nope, I'm not Ray! I did meet him at the Unterfahrt in Munich one night though...Got to talk for awhile. What a maniac of the trombone!

I did a handful of dates with Barbara but never had a chance to record with her. I went to her apartment one time to pick up some charts. (Man, what a beauty! Oh yeah, I already mentioned that :rolleyes: )

Most of the gigs I did with her were at the now defunct Allotria club, which was like 4 blocks from my apartment in Schwabing, the 'arts district' of Munich.

The Unterfahrt (which translates to "under passage" btw) was the more smoky bohemian hang, where fewer big name acts would get booked. The Allotria was more upscale. I did get to play with Charlie Antolini a lot there. He is Germany's answer to Buddy Rich...in temper and technique.

Sorry to get off thread, but this takes me back. Overall, Munich is a good scene. Lots of gigs, lots of variety. Tons of talent, and some of the native cats could actually swing! :lol:

I saw her band with Watkins and Anderson in about 1992/93 when they were on a short North American tour. There's most definitely a European touch to her playing - constant practicing of Bach in her youth most definitely comes through and there's that choral/folk heritage that I hear also in people like Mike Westbrook. She comes across as an extremely dedicated and those Enja albums are good stuff. Particularly like 'Hot Stuff !' with Andy Sheppard in the lineup.

She looks great too, which is a bonus ! :)

Edited by sidewinder

Back in 2001, I saw her play with Gloria Coleman (substitute for Shirley Scott) Amina Claudine Myers under the title of "Attack of the Killer B's". It was some sight to see - three females playing three organs at the same time.

My Japanese friend loves her play so much. He kept telling me that she has amazing techniques and gave me a copy of "Duo", which I really enjoy.

Looks like she has a new CD out that's solo organ. Cool!

Seems it is not the first one:

cd15.jpgcd1.jpg

and there's even one on a church organ:

cd14.jpg

With her bands I always found her very busy, playing at the top of her game all the time, which gets tiresome just because of her fantastic technical abilities.

Maybe I will enjoy more her as a soloist. I will give it a try.