The Blakey band by 1969-1970.

Hardbopjazz

Outside of Bill Hardman and maybe Julian Priester, who else were the main stays in the Messengers at this time? I believe Ronnie Mathews palyed piano, but he was replaced by the first woman messenger, Joanne Brackeen by 1970 or even earlier. Was Lawrence Eveans on bass around this time?

There's not much studio work from the band at this time.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

how is that lonehill "jersey blues" album?  under shaw's name but i think the lineup is shaw, carlos garnett, cables, holt and blakey.

Sound-quality is a couple notches above "it sucks", but the music is truely wonderful. VERY modal, and very hard-driving. Two long cuts, about 20-minutes each.

Don't pay a mint for it, but I think it's well worth standard "new CD" prices.

Again, warning, the sound-quality is not very good. But the music definitely rises above it -- or at least it did for me. Woody's on fire!!!!! :wub:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

A Joe Henderson one has been created using BRIAN but it is not on the web yet. Did you have a specific question?

Mike

Wow!! :excited: No specific question from me. Just a burning desire to see the thing.

Any plans to "publish" it via your website?? And any estimate as to when that might be??

Thanks a bunch!!!

A Joe Henderson one has been created using BRIAN but it is not on the web yet. Did you have a specific question?

Mike

I came across two private recordings someone gave me a copy of. I'm trying to figure out the sidemen and a couple of the tunes. The dates are 11/27/86 at Bradley's in NYC and 7/23/93 at San Remo, Italy. I have the musicians figured out but not the set list.h

Mike

I came across two private recordings someone gave me a copy of. I'm trying to figure out the sidemen and a couple of the tunes. The dates are 11/27/86 at Bradley's in NYC and 7/23/93 at San Remo, Italy. I have the musicians figured out but not the set list.h

I think Spontoonious has this disc (the '86 live recording), which I think is legit (or at least semi-legit??).

• Henderson, Joe; 11/27/86; Bradley’s, San Francisco, CA; 42 min; "A-" sound-quality; audience recording; Joe Henderson (ts), Renee Rosnes (p), Marlene Rosenberg (b), Sylvia Cuenca (d). Issued on Arco CD: 104 – Punjab. (Joe's semi-famous, but little recorded "all girl band" -- no slight intended.)

Also, FWIW, I tried to find the other date (7/23/93, Italy), to help ID the sidemen. But it didn't appear in the various trade-lists I've seen from people over the years, or at least not that I can find.

Edited by Rooster_Ties