Does age matter for a jazz artist?

Hardbopjazz

Are the senior jazz artists denied contracts because of age? Do you think record companies just go with the younger artists because younger artists attract a younger buying group, which spend more money?

Example number 1: Jackie McLean,

Jackie McLean hasn't put out anything new for a few years. The last studio session was "Nature Boy" in 2000. He can still play, and I'm sure he would still enjoy recording if giving the chance.

There must be a ton of other senior jazz artists without contracts too.

Hopefully, the phenomenon has faded (though certainly hasn't disappeared completely), but back in the 80s and 90s, it seemed as if the money - contracts, good gigs - were all going to the Young Lions. True veterans - James Moody, Jackie Mac and others - seemed to be standing on the sidelines as their (largely inferior) imitators raked it in.

A lot of those Lions have lost their stature - hell, I'm struggling to come up with names - Bobby Watson, Blanchard, Vincent Herring, others who passed through the Blakey band...not the best examples...

A lot of those Lions have lost their stature - hell, I'm struggling to come up with names - Bobby Watson, Blanchard, Vincent Herring

:huh:

These guys have been putting out some great music lately.....not sure what you mean.

As I said, I couldn't come up with the names that truly have been lost to the winds of time.

Still, the guys I mention - and others like them - no longer seem to dominate the covers of Jazz Times and Down Beat, as they once did.

If the music is good, the music is good! That's all I have to say.

That's right.

You never know what you're going to get.

I heard Moody in person recently & (to be charitable) he wasn't very good.

Gee whiz. He's now 80 years old. Twenty years ago, my point of comparison, he was 20 years younger.

I don't think it matters how old you are. Have you heard the recent Frank Morgan cd City Nights. He's 71 and still going strong. There's also the Curtis Fuller cd, Up Jumped Spring. Sounds good to me. If you've got your chops, that's what counts and you could lose those at any age. Jazz Kat was right, btw. Kids say the darndes things ;)

I don't think it matters how old you are. Have you heard the recent Frank Morgan cd City Nights. He's 71 and still going strong. There's also the Curtis Fuller cd, Up Jumped Spring. Sounds good to me. If you've got your chops, that's what counts and you could lose those at any age. Jazz Kat was right, btw. Kids say the darndes things ;)

Well, if it doesn't matter, I wish someone would sign Horace Silver and Jackie McLean and Lou Donaldson...

If the music is good, the music is good! That's all I have to say.

That's right.

You never know what you're going to get.

I heard Moody in person recently & (to be charitable) he wasn't very good.

When I saw him at the Detroit Jazz Festival two years ago, he sounded very good to me.

It was a concert setting.

Quartet of Moody, David Williams on bass, Carrington on drums & piano (actually can't remember who).

Moody massacred Cherokee on flute, & played adequately on tenor, alto & a bit of soprano. Told jokes that were lame 30+ years ago & wasn't much better on vocals on Moody's Mood For Love & Bennie's (sic) From Heaven. Maybe it was the altitude.

Other half of the concert was Ahmad Jamal (he's 75), with James Cammack & Idris Muhammad. They were "tight", although nothing new took place.

The only thing that matters is whether or not you can play.

Age, sex, race are all inconsequential.

As I can see it age has made some artists lose their inspiration, while others have found inspiration with age. I don't think age makes much of a difference. The individuals response to age matters, but it is not predictable how each person will respond to age.