Blue Train SACD-opinions

jazzkrow

Guest GregM

I'd be more than happy to help any of you pick your JAWs up off the floor if you stop by and listen to this SACD. It sounds like the sextet is in my house. If I tweak anything it will be to get the "Super" version of the Avatar, the Super Clock II upgrade to the SCD-1, or to put the spikes back on my N802s. What components are you using, grew?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be more than happy to help any of you pick your JAWs up off the floor if you stop by and listen to this SACD. It sounds like the sextet is in my house. If I tweak anything it will be to get the "Super" version of the Avatar, the Super Clock II upgrade to the SCD-1, or to put the spikes back on my N802s. What components are you using, grew?

The system I use is "my ears". You, know the original perfect, sound system. I'm smart enough to know when something sounds high pitched. Too much treble. :D

Going to a party now :party: I'll be back

greg

you sound like you need a hug....

why are you so defensive when anyone says something negative about sacd?

i'd like too know how you figured your system as the second best around these boards. did you go to everyone's house and check their systems? did you stop by my house, without my permission?

jeff

:bwallace:

Edited by Soulstation1

greg

you sound like....

He sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

slsmcgrew said:

The system I use is "my ears". You, know the original perfect, sound system. I'm smart enough to know when something sounds high pitched.

:rfr

Guest GregM

greg

you sound like you need a hug....

why are you so defensive when anyone says something negative about sacd?

i'd like too know how you figured your system as the second best around these boards. did you go to everyone's house and check their systems? did you stop by my house, without my permission?

Umm. . .jeff, I don't need to stop by your house. most of us chatted about our gear MANY times. I may be new to this board, but it ain't like I'm "new" here. Unless some of you made major upgrades over the past few months, mny is the only dude who has better gear than I do. . .and even he had the same disc machine as me. . .maybe he still does. Would have been interesting to get his opinion on the BT SACD, but the malcontents have managed to convince him not to listen.

Ah - Greg-boy - we know you're not "new", most people know the tone of your posts from elsewhere all too well.

As to your 'system', even B&W will tell you that you are running the Nautilus far too underpowered and cannot possible get an even response, your sound is horribly undernourished and unbalanced. Sorry for the news flash, argue all you want, but you can't change the laws of nature or get a B&W to sound anywhere near right with less than 50wpc - and you really need 100 to get it right.

And before you start thumping your chest about "second best system here", get your ego under control. You can't come anywhere close to EITHER of mine, and I have FAR from the best.

Guest GregM

Welcome Robert. I prefer my amp in triode mode. That's 27 WPC. I don't know where you came up with 50. The amp runs 60 WPC in ultralinear mode. Of course, I use no more than 5 amps even when I'm blasting my windows out but don't tell B&W.

Oh, have you heard the new BT? Of course not. You don't have an SACD player. You don't even have a turntable. :excited:

Yep, just CD for good 'ol Robert.

Edited by GregM

Well Greg, I know the subtelties of inductive vs. reactive loads will be lost on you, you will defend your misconceptions to the end. But it still doesn't work, I know - I owned a pair of Nautilus for awhile, not only couldn't I drive them properly, I couldn't stand the bright hard tweeter - and the tone was average at best. Thankfully they are long gone

No, I don't need SACD - a marginal improvement for mid-fi systems, but for people living on the bleeding edge - a waste of time. I had a turntable when you were still dancing in your bedroom to the Partridge Family, I guess since you've had a turntable for about a year now you feel part of some "club" that gives you some unfathomable superiority?

Please behave here, Greg, and you won't alienate people everywhere else you've gone, as Jazz Inmate or whatever. It's about music here, not your personal agenda. Boasting that you have the 'second-best system here' isn't in that book on "How To Make Friends And Influence People" that you keep receiving anonymously in your mailbox.

Grew, that's what I thought. You're too inebriated with your rush from going on the offensive to post what gear you have.

I don't drink.

I'm sorry I missed your question before about what type of system we use. It is within the mid-range level. But I still maintain there is too much treble.

In spite of all the negative comments posted here, I just picked up the "Blue Train" SACD over lunch and am listening to it now. While it is bright (as most of RVG's remasters seem to be), I like it. The extra detail, especially with the bass and cymbals, is very welcome. RVG has done a lot worse than this one.

My opinion of this SACD might be different if I had a high-end or even mid-range system, but all I have is a Sony 755 DVD/SACD combo player hooked up to a Cambridge Soundworks Dolby Digital 5.1 system (made for computers). In a word, it's shitty, but it gets the job done. In any case, I think I'll stick with this version over the previous versions I have, just for the extra detail in the sound.

I don't have an SACD player so I am listening to the regular CD layer and comparing it to my MOFI cd. The first thing I noticed is that the image on the RVG is much more in between the speakers where the MOFI puts the sound more to the sides. Also there appears to be more front to back depth on the MOFI and more of a sense of 3d delineation of the instruments, not a huge difference, but my initial preference is for the MOFI, although the RVG may be a tad clearer.

• 1 month later...

1. No

2. I remember mixed results being reported on the BNBB, as far as the installation of the interface is concerned. But you can always play the Quicktime movies manually from the subdirectories of the CD-ROM part, if you have Quicktime installed. Don't try to install the Quicktime program that's on the CD, it's 7 years old and completely outdated.

Edited by Claude

So no-one is happy at all with the SACD layer?

How is the CD layer? Is is better than the Ultimate Blue Train?

How does the CD layer compare to the new RVG?

Are they the same? If not is the RVG better than the CD layer? (I like some of the closer stereo RVGs).

I can't play my SACDs right now anyway. If it is that poor and the CD layer doesn't redeem it, I may just return it before I open it for the RVG version.

So no-one is happy at all with the SACD layer?

How is the CD layer? Is is better than the Ultimate Blue Train?

How does the CD layer compare to the new RVG?

Are they the same? If not is the RVG better than the CD layer? (I like some of the closer stereo RVGs).

I can't play my SACDs right now anyway. If it is that poor and the CD layer doesn't redeem it, I may just return it before I open it for the RVG version.

The SACD is very good. It's not at the same level of some other SACDs, but it exceeds what CD can do. I've heard the CD layer only in my friend's car and it sounded fine given that I was zooming around in a Mustang. Get the SACD.

Edited by GregM