More Original Vogue Masters

brownie

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are English translations of the original liner notes included?

Considering the price of the entire box, you are asking for a lot ... ;)

The question is unsderstandable (and maybe the liner notes come in English though I'd not bet on it) but would be much more called for in the case of those Japanese reissues that include additional liner/booklet info in additon to reprints (and their Japanese translations) of the orignal album liner notes (particularly since a single Japanese CD sometimes may be selling outrageously for as much as this ENTIRE box ;)).

There's a four page introduction in English (rather lots of words in small prints), but no liners in the booklet.

The cardboard sleeves have the original french notes on the back, if there were any (several have just catalogue listings/adverts).

Edited by king ubu

• 5 weeks later...

Since I don't already own any of the individual recordings with the exception of some of the Clifford Brown, it appears this box set is worth owning.

The set arrived in the mail today. Presently listening to disc 1 Django Reinhardt. If disc 1 is any indication, this is going to be one heck of a purchase. I was able to score it for $35 plus shipping recently.

• 1 year later...

from the recent sales-thread:

Understand  preparations  are underway  for a second box...

:excited:

knew it would happen eventually!!

That's great news.  Please let us know when anything concrete can be posted/shared.

Great news !

Picked up the first box set for about £20, which was a bargain. Hope a similar deal comes up for the new one.

I look forward to that release whenever that comes.

Yes, great news about that second box. Though I sincerely hope this box won't duplicate the rest of those early 2000s black Vogue CDs I already have. The first box had a fair share of overlaps with the ones from that series (but was still worth the money) but the more I browse through 50s copies of JAZZ HOT the more I see there is so much out there on that label that has NOT been reissued. So I hope the second box will covber some of that ground ...

great news indeed - though I have to echo BBS there: owning the entire black digipack series, the box was not quite worth the money for me (but it's so nicely done, I still had to get it, the price was right, too). There's indeed plenty more (including some good blues albums as well, a jazzy one by Jimmy Witherspoon for instance that was part of one of Sony's other boxes) and I'd love to see some surprises!

• 3 weeks later...

I could not find BeBop in Paris, vol. 2 which includes sides by Gigi Gryce (the Paris Vogue sessions).

I am still trying to find that CD for an acceptable price. Does it even exist?

Sorry I couldn't help back then ... all those shops are now closed :(

But yes, it does exist!

You can get this music on CD on the US reissue from the 90's; it is available for under $10 US; the covers were very unattractive, but these Vogue covers do not appear to be original (other than the Broonzy set, for example; that is a great attribute for the 10 cd box, original covers, some by Pierre Merlin); also I prefer jewel case to digipaks (US reissue was jewel case).  It was also paired w/another album on the same cd.

Thanks to all for the great information & reviews on this thread.

Edited by bakeostrin
mistyped

• 4 months later...

The second Vogue Box is now available

Jazz From America On Disques Vogue (21CD) - the German Amazon site has the track listing

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B014S1LH9O/ref=s9_simh_gw_p15_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=0E4GNWM9XANMPNSA7B5H&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=585296387&pf_rd_i=desktop

a bit disappointing IMHO - I think I already have about 80% of the material

This does look like it is focusing on earlier Vogue material, but I don't think I have all that much of it, aside from the Getz, Mulligan, Baker and the Lester Young.  I had no idea that Brubeck or Ellington/Strayhorn had cut Vogue albums.  For me, this is actually an easier choice than the original box, which I eventually broke down and bought.

Anyway, from a different site (http://www.francemusique.fr/agenda/sortie-cd-jazz-america-disques-vogue-40-chefs-d-oeuvre-du-jazz-en-20-edition-limitee ), here are the album names:

LE PROGRAMME :
1.Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn / New Stars - New Sounds Vol. 2 (+ Serge Chaloff)
2.Stan Getz Quartet / The Stan Getz Quintette - Jazz At Storyville
3.Art Tatum From Gene Norman's Just Jazz / Gene Norman's Just Jazz Vol. 3 / Frank Bull And Gene Norman's Blues Jubilee
4.Charlie Christian At Minton's / Charlie Christian - Dizzy Gillespie At Minton's
5.Dixieland Jubilee Vol. 1 / Vol. 2 (Lu Watters - Kid Ory / Albert Nicholas)
6.Charlie Parker Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
7.Originators Of Modern Jazz / A Date With… Vol. 1 / Vol. 2 (Dizzy Gillespie - Charlie Parker - Fats Navarro  - Red Norvo - Hank Jones - Howard McGhee - James Moody - Buck Clayton - Hot Lips Page)
8.Erroll Garner Trio Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
9.Kings of Boogie Woogie (Albert Ammons - Meade Lux Lewis - Blind John Davis)
10.Mahalia Jackson Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
11.The Spirit Of Memphis Quartet (+ John Lee Hooker)
12.Wynonie Mr Blues Harris / Earl Bostic His Alto Sax And His Orchestra
13.Jelly Roll Morton - Piano Solos
14.Dave Brubeck Quartet Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
15.Miles Davis - Young Man With a Horn Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
16.Red Norvo - Men at Work Vol. 1 / Vol. 2 / George Shearing Quintet
17.Gerry Mulligan Quartet Vol. 2 / Vol. 3 / Vol. 4
18.Chet Baker Quartet Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
19.Sidney Bechet And His Blue Note Jazzmen Vol. 3 / Vol. 4
20.Lester Young Les Chefs-d'Å“uvre de Lester Young Vol. 1 / Vol. 2

I think a VERY close look at the individual discs that make up this set would be in order.

I doubt too much of this was originally recorded for Vogue. To me, most of it sems to be Vogue issues of U.S. recordings leased at the time for the French market. So probably quite redundant today. Browsing the list briefly without doing any discographical research, the Stan Getz tracks look like his Roost recordings to me, Charlie Christian of course is the oft-recycled Esoteric LP, discs 6 to 8 look like the Dial masters recycled, the R&B men come from King. The Miles Davis CD reads like his Blue Note 10-inchers (a lot of the Blue Note 5000-series LPs were issued on Vogue with different cover artwork at the time, and BN in turn released some Vogue recordings in the 5000 series) and Lester Young looks like some Savoy and Aladdin combined, right? Maybe interesting to see how France got exposed to these U.S. artists at the time but I doubt there is much you don't already have in other guises and/or need badly if you don't.

I think I'll pass this one up. Too much too often recycled elsewhere there IMHO.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

We've long arrived at that conclusion, haven't we? (i.e. it's all or mostly stuff from a variety of US labels that Vogue licensed for French - or European? - release, and hence it's quite superfluous for us collector guys, and quite a bit of a letdown in light of hopes for a second Vogue box proper.)

Edited by king ubu

18 minutes ago, king ubu said:

and hence it's quite superfluous for us collector guys, and quite a bit of a letdown in light of hopes for a second Vogue box proper.)

Indeed. There would be a lot of proper Vogue 10-inch (or even 12-inch) LPs from that period released back then (beyond all the Bechets ;)), some probably never before reissued, but that would make this really a "Eurojazz" box (remember the first box also included a bit of U.S. headliner acts) and therefore would require compilers and producers who are much, much more ambitious and not afraid to target NICHE markets even WITHIN the "jazz niche market" instead of the big names. ;)

Well, I think they'd still have the second half of the Mulligan and Eldridge, some more Gillespie, some Lucky Thompson, the Renaud sessions with Al Cohn, Tal Farlow, Oscar Pettiford, J.J. Johnson etc., the piano dates by Erroll Garner et al, the "Bebop in Paris" material ... but I see your point, most of these aren't names that still push sales, I guess.

I'd still love to see another one, although I have all those black "Original Vogue Masters" discs.

Oh yes, some of them do push sales, but haven't they been out in that BLACK "Original masters" series of the late 90s or in other formats that aren't totally unavailable? Do we collectors (who aren't all newbies) want duplicates ALL the way? :D

The first box was fine, despite the duplications with what one (even as a non-completist) had and many of its CDs serve well as fodder for the CD player in my car, but another one with even more overlap? Not really ...

Fill the (reissue) GAPS, you Vogue people! :rolleyes: (Yes I know I'm being unreasonable and unrealistic but it just had to be said at least once ...)

You know what? Somebody ought to get them to do a CfD (Club francais de Disque - French equivalent of Jazztone) box set! They did some pretty nice and unfairly overlooked sessions and 10in LPs back then,  ...