What is or was the best photo of a jazz musician?

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one's pretty good. That's Stuff Smith right in the middle of the front row. Oscar Pettiford two men to the right, with the light jacket.

mainimage.jpg

O/T. Reminds me, I watched The Terminal last night. Hmmmm.

Agreed. I watched it on DVD a few weeks ago. Frankly, I was surprised that Spielberg, Hanks, et al would make a film that was so mediocre and contrived. Benny's appearance was definitely the highlight of the film.

:sorryfornonintentionalthreadhijacksmiley:

True. The only part of the film I felt geniune emotion was when Hanks opened his peanut tin. Regardless of whta was in there, I was moved that someone would go to lengths like this for a dear dad. I know there have been similar stories in real life but, yeah, contrived.

Kind of surprised no one has mentioned this one:

B0000A118M.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Might as well go back on topic and get some dialog going. I'd be curious to know why you're surprised that nobody mentioned that one...? Legendary album by a legendary artist, but the photo doesn't strike me as particularly special (just a gut reaction from someone who has never really studied photography :mellow: ).

No surprise to me that everybody (almost) has their own opinions... great photography being in the viewfinder of the beholder. B-) I do wish that some of our more expert minds in this field (you know who you are) would go ahead and do some analysis here. As I say, I don't think there are any "right" answers, but it would be fun for some of us to learn a thing or two about the art form.

There are a couple of images here (the one Chuck posted, and the first one posted by tonym) that I had either never seen before or hadn't seen in a long time, which I think are pretty darned spectacular...

=====

Oh- and I think that Herman Leonard shot of Dexter is a great one too. :tup

Edited by Jim R

It's interesting that in the Ashley book about ALS, Coltrane himself is reported to have seen this photo as a snapshot taken by Theile and proclaimed that he felt that was the photo that most looked like him, and I think I remember that he was involved in having this chosen as the cover photo? I think that makes it quite an interesting photo, it's not a FAVORITE of mine, but it's quite telling in how unglamorized it is. . . .

I could/should have mentioned something else. Trane (IMO) was very very "photogenic". I mean, you don't often see photos of him that aren't intriguing or attractive. He had his game face on most of the time, and what a face it was. Hard to take a bad photo of (insert your own icon here... I'll go with The Golden Gate Bridge)...

Honest to Gorsh Jim, I think this entire board is in so many ways all of us rambling about stuff we're not qualified to talk about, even the most qualified of us, in a metaphysical sort of way or plain mundane way. . . I don't know what I'm talking about I'm rambling.

One of my very favorite Monk photos:

29.jpg

Agree with what was said about Coltrane. Very photogenic in the non-attractive way. Capturing him doesn't seem like an 'event'; he is there, a legend totally nonplussed by a photographer's excitement. But not in an arrogant way. Conversely if your see pictures of Getz, you get the studied, handsome face and focused playing shots but then you have the smiling, almost egotistical face when he's not playing. Anyone know what I mean?

As for being taken back in time Jim, a particular favourite is the one of Johnny Hodges passing on another glass of wine. he looks like he's speaking to someone and without acknowledging the (white) waiter, he gestures that he doesn't want his glass refilling. He's dressed casually but stylishly; it must be early 60's and very evocative.

I really like the uncropped version of the Coltane phot on the cover of Blue Train. I never saw a reporduction of it until after Mosaic had sold out their limited edition. However I did find a poster of it on E-bay and got a similar photo by Francis Wolfe from Mosaic.

(I just tried to get a copy from the mosaic site but they aren't showing any photos right now. And why doesn't their site come up first if you google for Mosaic records?

In the Satch photo I think all those mikes fed different sources, so not really weird necessarily. 

Personally mike placement in photos isn't something that bugs me!

It's just that, speaking photographically, the weird perspective of the mikes relative to the musicians makes the musicians look like they're Hobbits from "Lord of the Rings." :wacko: (Not that there's anything WRONG with Hobbits, to quote a famous sitcom about NOTHING).

Very cool photo that I've enjoyed as well Brownian!

I guess with the microphones with that on stage shot, medj. . . they doin't seem odd to me. I mean that one IS on a very tall stand and I guess it seems natural to me the photographed perspective vis a vis mike and musician height. . .

Anyway, cool photo! I can almost HEAR it.

I've always got a kick out of the classic photo (below) of Bird and Diz with a young John Coltrane in the background. Usually you see the photo cropped with only Bird and Diz in it.

Another photo I love is the cover of Bud Powell's The Scene Changes. I've always assumed that was his son in the photo. Maybe it's because I'm a dad, I just enjoy this photo.

e3948172owy.jpg

Bird and Diz with Coltrane (below)