Membership here is growing fast.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bev, you know I dig you, but really, that last response of yours is reading/projecting an attitude into what I said that does not exist.

Spin it anyway you want, through whatever lens you want, but I promise you, your "class resentment", or whatever Anglo-baggage you've got going on whenever you rage against assumed superiority, is being put to use on a target that, in this case, is all in your mind.

Like I said, I dig you, and still do, but really, man, you're way off base here.

"Ah, Grasshopper! You must spend 7 years in the valley of the AAJ. Only then will you be ready to join the Great Minds at Organissimo."

You know, I finally understand why Punk happened!

Wow!

Che.

"Ah, Grasshopper! You must spend 7 years in the valley of the AAJ. Only then will you be ready to join the Great Minds at Organissimo."

This has nothing to do with arrogance.

It has something to do with protecting or warning the people who drop in here and start strutting their stuff. After they've read this, they can't say they haven't been warned ... and Chuck Nessa doesn't have to post the same one-liners again and again. :g

Besides, I think those points are valid for just about any board and basically address issues which should be common sense in the first place.

And Punk happened because it was a license to party, to take a leak off the stage and to make tons of money while only being able to play one single chord. :ph34r:

Cheers!

Once you aim to protect or warn people, it can lead to all kind of difficulties and misunderstandings.

Che.

It's not a question of being "ready to". That's bullshit.

It's a question of where to go to get what you're looking for. Nothing else. Anybody who's looking for what we focus on here is welcome to c'mon in, no "apprenticeship" required. Anybody who's not looking for it should look elsewhere. Maybe they'll find it AAJ, or maybe not. Who knows?

You yourself have noted the different vibes at the two boards, and approvingly so. This was just an attempt to deliniate the specifics of the Organissimo vibe, with no shots aimed at anybody or any other board, and no assumption of superiority claimed. implicitly or otherwise.

Thought I made that clear, but if not, and if you can be convinced, here it is again.

As for why punk happened, after everything blew up, what was left? I agree, it was a beautiful explosion, but...

I am asking myself why I feel more welcome from Bev's posts and Africabrass's post than you own?

Regards

Che 'the butterfly' :rolleyes:

No shit.

Right!

Organissimo members/posters don't take no shit from anybody!

;):g

And this is what I hear loud and clear.

In my experience you will create a situation in which people feel intimidated to post. And what you will have is a 'few good 'ol' boys posting to each other'

But that is just my view.

Che.

Let me put it another way and see if this deflects the erroneous assupmptions...

Both boards have a personality of thier own. That personality has not been pre-ordained by anybody or anything. It is the result of people naturally gravitating to communities in which they feel more comfortable. My comments about the nature of each were based on what I think is an objective analysis of each board's current "personality". No value judgements were implied, period.

Also, the personalities of boards can change over time. If Organissimo ever gets tot eh point where there's nothing interesting to me personally on an ongoing basis, I'll look for someplace where there is. As do all members of all boards. But as of right now, the guidelines I suggested are based on what this place is now. If it's to your likeing, PLEASE stay and contribute. If ti's not, no hard feelings, hope you find someplace that offers you what you want.

Now, if any of these comments "offend" or "put off" Bev or anybody else, I'm sorry that the offense occured. But I stick by what I said, and the spirit which it was intended. I accept responsibility only for what I say and how I intend for it to be taken. Anybody who takes offense by reason of assuming/projecting a different intent and/or meaning, one entirely of their own doing, and expects an apology and/or reconsideration is gonna be s.o.l.

Add THAT to the list! :g:g:g

Bev, you know I dig you, but really, that last response of yours is reading/projecting an attitude into what I said that does not exist.

Spin it anyway you want, through whatever lens you want, but I promise you, your "class resentment", or whatever Anglo-baggage you've got going on whenever you rage against assumed superiority, is being put to use on a target that, in this case, is all in your mind.

Like I said, I dig you, and still do, but really, man, you're way off base here.

You have a very distinct view, but as a 'newbie' (Now Butterfly :D ), I feel I cannot post a response to you, without some kind of aggressive response.

I did not read Bev's post in the same way you did.

And this illustrates that we all see things differently.

Che.

I am asking myself why I feel more welcome from Bev's posts and Africabrass's post than you own?

That's a question that only you can answer.

Because to me, and I am new to this board your posts seem a little aggressive and intimidating.

Che.

That's a question that only you can answer.

Because to me, and I am new to this board your posts seem a little aggressive and intimidating.

Che.

Maybe that is because you are new.

JS has been around for years, most of us posting here known one another through this board or other for awhile now. I would not expect anyone to understand the different personalities in only a few days.

No shit.

Right!

In my experience you will create a situation in which people feel intimidated to post. And what you will have is a 'few good 'ol' boys posting to each other'

Che.

Oh, c'mon, Che, lighten up a little! I dig that you're here (and we can always use another liberal/leftie--we gotta compensate for the sorry state of affairs in the US govt. and the godforsaken SCLM :D ), but there's a very lighthearted attitude here that I sometimes think people miss out on. (All right, I'm also a guy who thinks listeners miss the humor in Smiths songs--so whadda I know?) I think the site's pretty damned inclusive... and post count means absolutely nothing here. Hell, John Litweiler has posted about 20 times, and yet anything he has to say about jazz will have far more import than something posted by me... or a number of other folks who have umpteen hundred or thousand posts.

Part of what you might be perceiving is that many of us here got to know one another on the old Blue Note Bulletin Board, and it's almost impossible sometimes to keep from making jokes, references, etc., that go way back. It's almost like reading a favorite comic strip... did you happen to see Doonesbury this week? (Zonker getting fired for getting high on the job?) Trudeau threw in a reference that only longtime fanatics like me, who's been reading the strip since I was a kid, would've gotten... hard to avoid sometimes, and why should we, as long as it's not the primary raison d'etre of this place. Which it isn't; love of jazz is. And not even that is required to post here!

No shit.

Right!

Che.

Oh, c'mon, Che, lighten up a little! I dig that you're here (and we can always use another liberal/leftie--we gotta compensate for the sorry state of affairs in the US govt. and the godforsaken SCLM :D ), but there's a very lighthearted attitude here that I sometimes think people miss out on. (All right, I'm also a guy who thinks listeners miss the humor in Smiths songs--so whadda I know?) I think the site's pretty damned inclusive... and post count means absolutely nothing here. Hell, John Litweiler has posted about 20 times, and yet anything he has to say about jazz will have far more import than something posted by me... or a number of other folks who have umpteen hundred or thousand posts.

Part of what you might be perceiving is that many of us here got to know one another on the old Blue Note Bulletin Board, and it's almost impossible sometimes to keep from making jokes, references, etc., that go way back. It's almost like reading a favorite comic strip... did you happen to see Doonesbury this week? (Zonker getting fired for getting high on the job?) Trudeau threw in a reference that only longtime fanatics like me, who's been reading the strip since I was a kid, would've gotten... hard to avoid sometimes, and why should we, as long as it's not the primary raison d'etre of this place. Which it isn't; love of jazz is. And not even that is required to post here!

How easily you seem to put me into a box!

Che.

So what are you going to do, run away, or stick around and find out if they really are? The choice is entirely your own.

But trust me, I'm a pussycat. REALLY!

Well I have every intention of 'sticking around'

Che.

No shit.

Right!

Che.

That's what I was trying to say, only I was using the poor grammar approach. ;)