mccoy tyner

I had this Select and sold it as fast as I could. I really didn't like much of the music. Sorry to spoil the fun ...

No worries. I take it you didn't have some of the individual CDs prior to your purchase? I guess I kind of knew what to expect, so maybe that helps in my enjoyment.

:cool:

Actually, I did have two of the Blue Notes in the set, Expansions and Extensions. Kept the former, sold the latter, not in the least because of Alice Coltrane's harp.

I also picked up Cosmos (on vinyl) way back when it came out, but returned it to the store because of the bad pressing, so I didn't really remember what the music was like. I never owned Asante.

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Mosaic Select is kicking my butt lately. Good stuff. The edition of Expansions herein sounds better than the original 80's reissue on compact disc, which sounded awful to me.

But it's the entire Cosmos session that has my attention right now. Andrew White might be the best soloist on oboe that I've ever heard. I generally can't stand "jazz" oboists (Bob Cooper, Yusef Lateef, Ken McIntyre, etc.), but White plays the shit out of it.

A little surprised there hasn't been more buzz about this Select ...

:bwallace2: :bwallace: :bwallace2: :bwallace:

I don't have the Select though I might order it in due course (I have the material in various forms). . . but I totally agree about Cosmos, this is my favorite session of all those in the box.

Edited by jazzbo

I ordered the Tyner, and Mosaic accidentally sent the Hutcherson. I kept the Hutcherson, and then purchased the Tyner again — Mosaic charged me for both, which of course is fair, but didn't double charge on shipping. That was nice.

I tend to order Mosaics one at a time, but now I play these two Selects in tandem. They fit well.

:tup

I wasn't going to order the Hutcherson, but now I'm glad Mosaic made the mistake in shipping!

• 1 year later...

This set arrived late last week and I have to say I'm really, really pleased with it. In no way inferior to the Milestone years, imo.... Plenty of powerful vamps, with some Eastern colors now and then, modal blow-outs... it all sounds so fresh even 40 years later. More generally, I love this period of jazz, late 60s to early 70s.