BN Perfect Takes

Eric

I don't know that you'll find the interview that revealing in that I don't think he's saying anything you haven't read about before but I thought it was quite fascinating to hear him talk about Alfred and Creed Taylor and to see his studio and just to see him in the flesh. It was well worth the cost in my view.

I did buy this but haven't had the time to play the dvd yet!  I know it has a gallery of rvg covers and some other features.

Mark

Did you find the gallery of covers? Never saw it on the menu system when I played the DVD on the computer.

Unfortuanately, it doesn't. I thought it did too but it directs to the Mosaic site. Bummer. I was hoping to use some for wallpaper.

I did buy this but haven't had the time to play the dvd yet!  I know it has a gallery of rvg covers and some other features.

Mark

Did you find the gallery of covers? Never saw it on the menu system when I played the DVD on the computer.

Unfortuanately, it doesn't. I thought it did too but it directs to the Mosaic site. Bummer. I was hoping to use some for wallpaper.

Actually there is not a gallery of covers but there are 52 Francis Wolff photos to scroll through. The interview is about 30 minutes or so.

Mark

I was excited to get my copy of this cd/DVD set today- just for the RVG interview-but lo and behold, my copy came only with the cd-NO :blink: DVD disc-how about that-and this was the store's ONLY sealed copy :angry::angry:

I couldn't be the only one out there with a defective set?????

I'm sure it would take more time to let BN know then to wait till the store gets more...

(And I already had all the cd material.....Grrrr

Just what a guy needs just one week past a 7 bypass open heart surgery-

my first day cross town to get out of the house.

The RVG interview better be REAL special...

Oh, forgot, gots to keep the blood pressure down.

(HI TO ALL MY ORGANISSIMO BUDDIES OUT THERE-I'M STILL KICKIN'-jest a little weaker :g

Jeff/jazzkrow

I was excited to get my copy of this cd/DVD set today- just for the RVG interview-but lo and behold, my copy came only with the cd-NO :blink: DVD disc-how about that-and this was the store's ONLY sealed copy :angry::angry:

I couldn't be the only one out there with a defective set?????

I'm sure it would take more time to let BN know then to wait till the store gets more...

(And I already had all the cd material.....Grrrr

Just what a guy needs just one week past a 7 bypass open heart surgery-

my first day cross town to get out of the house.

The RVG interview better be REAL special...

Oh, forgot, gots to keep the blood pressure down.

(HI TO ALL MY ORGANISSIMO BUDDIES OUT THERE-I'M STILL KICKIN'-jest a little weaker :g

Jeff/jazzkrow

Wow... Good to have you back!

:tup

I hope you have a quick recovery.

:P

Guess what, the 2 other copies we found in Portland's premiere record shop of the RVG cd/DVD also only came with the cd- NO RUDY INTERVIEW.

Needless to say they reimbursed my $13.99.

Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer to watch Rudy on my TV.....

Until I get an all clear-I will not try the internet shops.

Pretty weird- no one else out there with similar issue.... :(

-Jeff

:P

Guess what, the 2 other copies we found in Portland's premiere record shop of the RVG cd/DVD also only came with the cd- NO RUDY INTERVIEW.

Needless to say they reimbursed my $13.99.

Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer to watch Rudy on my TV.....

Until I get an all clear-I will not try the internet shops.

Pretty weird- no one else out there with similar issue.... :(

-Jeff

Jeff,

Hi, mine came with both discs but a cracked case. I'm not sure I've ever received a cd from cd universe that didn't have a cracked case! ^_^

I haven't played the CD yet, but watched the DVD twice the very night I got it. Well, I watched the whole DVD once and the interview twice.

I loved the interview. Longer would have been better, but it was great seeing Rudy and Michael together. I was really interested by Rudy's staement that he wishes he could record Lee Morgan again. I wonder what the significance of that is. Why Lee and no one else being mentioned?

More anecdotes from the recording sessions would have been good, but Rudy made it pretty clear that he was so busy with the technical side of the recording that he didn't really even hear the music as such. I doube if that would have left him much time to pay attention to the stories of the sessions that we might like to hear.

However, I do not see how any serious student of Blue Note, or jazz from that era in general, could ever be without this. In my opinoin, Rudy Van Gelder is one of the most important men alive today in the history of jazz from that wonderful era. He was one of those who made it all happen.

Tom

Thanks, Brownie!

It was much fun meeting you 2 Summers ago-although just briefly.

You must almost be retired about now-you lucky fellow :lol:

I thought of you lately when I saw a documentary about the French court system-I believe it was called "District Court 10."

It was made by a documentarian who helped run an UPI/AP like photo agency in Paris-evidently he is quite famous!

Hope you are doing well!

Jeff Krow

Thanks, Brownie!

It was much fun meeting you 2 Summers ago-although just briefly.

You must almost be retired about now-you lucky fellow :lol:

I thought of you lately when I saw a documentary about the French court system-I believe it was called "District Court 10."

It was made by a documentarian who helped run an UPI/AP like photo agency in Paris-evidently he is quite famous!

Hope you are doing well!

Jeff Krow

Jazzkrow, the French court documentary 'District Court 10' was made by Raymond Depardon, an excellent cinematographer and a great photographer. He managed to make an excellent inside - and very rare - view of how some French courts work.

I admire the creator, but for personal reasons (and following a series of bad past experiences), I have strong reservations on Depardon as a person. But that's life!

Really glad to have you back around here. You must feel like a new man!

And I have indeed retired at the start of the year. I was very happy with my work but feel very good now that I am away from the pressure of the news business. And the pressure was really very heavy!

Since this is a thread about BN, I'll be spinning Bennie Green's Back on the Scene in your honor and to your very good health!