Photos of Nessa, Kart, Uncle Skid

sheldonm

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Von was in superb form, I thought, in a glowing-mellow mood for the most part. (That most recent album, with Jimmy Cobb and Richard Wyands, had me a bit worried about the current state of things. Oddly enough, that's the album that Dan Morgenstern recently told me had finally convinced him that Von was really good; he and Ira Gitler could never get past Von's intonation, as I recall -- too bad for them.) In a Pres mood, he began with "Lester Leaps In," went on to "In a Little Spanish Town" (!) at a gorgeous amble (he said that he'd heard Lester play this on clarinet, or at least I think that's what he meant) Like Chuck, I don't know what that tune was that started off like it might be "Lover Come Back To Me." Could it have been a heavily disguised "Avalon"? But who plays "Avalon" anymore? Von can think ahead further than anyone alive, maybe anyone ever -- he's like a man laying down what will be potentially the world largest living mosaic. Swear to God, if you wanted to lay out one of his better solos and subject it to the strictist formal analysis imaginable, there wouldn't be one false move, yet it hits in the moment like a landslide of boulders, rocks, and trees. At one point I began to think of this in purely physical/mental terms, trying to imagine the computational skills/storage capacity/what have you of the mind that's housed in Von's head.

Von was in superb form, I thought, in a glowing-mellow mood for the most part. (That most recent album, with Jimmy Cobb and Richard Wyands, had me a bit worried about the current state of things. Oddly enough, that's the album that Dan Morgenstern recently told me had finally convinced him that Von was really good; he and Ira Gitler could never get past Von's intonation, as I recall -- too bad for them.) In a Pres mood, he began with "Lester Leaps In," went on to "In a Little Spanish Town" (!) at a gorgeous amble (he said that he'd heard Lester play this on clarinet, or at least I think that's what he meant) Like Chuck, I don't know what that tune was that started off like it might be "Lover Come Back To Me." Could it have been a heavily disguised "Avalon"? But who plays "Avalon" anymore? Von can think ahead further than anyone alive, maybe anyone ever -- he's like a man laying down what will be potentially the world largest living mosaic. Swear to God, if you wanted to lay out one of his better solos and subject it to the strictist formal analysis imaginable, there wouldn't be one false move, yet it hits in the moment like a landslide of boulders, rocks, and trees. At one point I began to think of this in purely physical/mental terms, trying to imagine the computational skills/storage capacity/what have you of the mind that's housed in Von's head.

Larry,

I told you your reveiw would be better than mine!!! ^_^ Here is an image of Von last night!

Oh yeah -- sweet. Nice photos, and thanks for the words guys. Indeed, the cat is a heavy.

By the way, his "Violets For Your Furs" on the disc with Cobb is a great example of what you're talking about, too, Larry K.

Were you worried he took some of the corner's off his approach?

Lazaro -- He struck me as a bit ... I don't know ... dour and preoccupied on that album. Also, even though the estimable Jim Anderson was the engineer, I wasn't too crazy about the sound either -- both on Von's horn and on the group as a whole. As I recall, the stereo spread struck me as rather wide for a one-horn-plus-trio date, and as for Von himself, it sounded like a good deal of effort had been expended on trying to capture his sound but perhaps from the point of view that there was a problem there -- that is, that Von's sound was problematic -- which certain recording techniques/strategies (mike placement, etc.) might lessen. All I know for sure is that yesterday afternoon I was two-arms-lengths or so from the bell of Von's horn, and he sounded fantastic -- while the Von of that album sounded a fair bit airier (if that's the right term) than he does/did in real life. I was almost reminded of the sound ECM got on Konitz on that Kenny Wheeler-led album he did with Holland and Frisell. A real horn in real space -- it didn't sound that way to me, though I know that "real" is a tricky word to throw around when it comes to recorded sound. BTW, I think that Wheeler album and Von's album were recorded in same studio, Power Station.

You coming to MI, Chris?!

I hope so.

As I've shared with some, I'm going to be making a move to the east early this summer.

I mentioned to Chuck in a PM the other day, that when I drive cross country, I hope to make a stop in your neck of the woods to drink a beer and catch a gig.