my last mosaic purchase for the year? Ha!

okay since I NEED to stop buying Mosaics... :( :( :( and I've got a little cash flow left... I figure this is it for the rest of the year (short of gift cards for my birthday...:) )

So what should I get...???

It's down to the the Columbia Swing Sessions... (thanks for the reviews Ron S. and if you've got any more thoughts now that you've had it for a few weeks, would love to hear them...)

OR... Roy Eldridge set.... (I'm concerned about all the Oscar Peterson on organ,, :(

OR.... and this is where I'm leaning...

the Django Reinhardt set.... (since I don't have any Django and its one of the older sets...)

Anybody got the Django set???

If you haven't already....Adams/Byrd, Parlan, Paul Chambers Select, or J.J.!

yea I've got the JJ, Parlan and some of the Chambers (which came out as individual CDs years ago...) Can't quite get into the Pepper Adams/Bryd stuff...

I can't figure out that statement. This is some great stuff. Not on this set, but have you heard Pepper's 10 to 4 at the Five Spot. Amazing! I never heard anybody make this statement before. When it comes to baritone, it's Pepper for me, no slight intended to anyone else.

This is your last Mosaic of the year? Yeah, right and I've got a bridge to sell you :lol:

Can't quite get into the Pepper Adams/Bryd stuff...

Have you checked your vital signs lately? :wacko: Actually, I think it's a great set--and I didn't even get it wholesale from Caiman. :g

:lol:

I'd give that Adams/Byrd set another shot. I think Pepper Adams was a very interesting player with very interesting melodic ideas. Even when Byrd may have just been on autopilot (albiet at a very high level), I enjoyed where Adams would take things.

After that initial post, I still can't fathom that someone couldn't be into Pepper. Here's a list of Pepper albums that I have that I unreservedly recommend:

The Cool Sound of Pepper Adams – Regent 6066 (SV-0198)

Encounter - Prestige 7677 (OJCCD-898-2)

The Master – Muse 5213

10 to 4 At the Five Spot - Riverside 1104 (OJCCD-031-2)

Pepper Adams Quintet - Mode Records MOD LP-112 (V.S.O.P. #5 CD)

Urban Dreams – Quicksilver Records 4006

Another set with Donald Byrd as the leader is Live at Half Note which was RVGed not that long ago. If you can find Jazzmen Detroit issued by Savoy under Kenny Burrell's leadership, that's also quite marvelous.

The last one on Quicksilver is really good. Hell, they're all good.

After that initial post, I still can't fathom that someone couldn't be into Pepper.  Here's a list of Pepper albums that I have that I unreservedly recommend:

The Cool Sound of Pepper Adams – Regent 6066 (SV-0198)

Encounter - Prestige 7677 (OJCCD-898-2)

The Master – Muse 5213

10 to 4 At the Five Spot - Riverside 1104 (OJCCD-031-2)

Pepper Adams Quintet - Mode Records MOD LP-112 (V.S.O.P. #5 CD)

Urban Dreams – Quicksilver Records 4006

Another set with Donald Byrd as the leader is Live at Half Note which was RVGed not that long ago.  If you can find Jazzmen Detroit issued by Savoy under Kenny Burrell's leadership, that's also quite marvelous.

The last one on Quicksilver is really good.  Hell, they're all good.

Hey Guys,

Here's another of my favorite Pepper Adams albums.

This one is is a quintet date from 1958 with Lee Katzman on trumpet

and Jimmy Rowles on piano. A very nice session and one of the few

opportunities to hear Katzman in a featured roll on record.

Now can anyone tell my why this marvelous session has not yet been issued on CD??? Talk about criminal!!

Fortunately this one shows up from time to time on ebay.

Don

dsc03697.jpg

I originally had no intention of checking out the Bryd/Pepper Adams set... but after the strong and positive posts... I went ahead and listened to the Mosaic set samples and the one Bryd CD I have (Mustang).... I'm just not there.. for a couple of reasons...

1. When it comes to trumpeters of that vein and time... It's hard for me to listen to anyone who's not Lee Morgan...

2. As for baritone sax... I kinda of enjoy it but if I was going to explore that more I probably would go for the Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band set... and I haven't quite got there yet.....

3. And this is one is the most intangilble..... It just doesn't grab me... although the playing by Sonny Red (on Mustang which I'm listening to as I type this... ) is quite interesting....

I originally had no intention of checking out the Bryd/Pepper Adams set... but after the strong and positive posts... I went ahead and listened to the Mosaic set samples and the one Bryd CD I have (Mustang).... I'm just not there.. for a couple of reasons...

1. When it comes to trumpeters of that vein and time... It's hard for me to listen to anyone who's not Lee Morgan...

2. As for baritone sax... I kinda of enjoy it but if I was going to explore that more I probably would go for the Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band set... and I haven't quite got there yet.....

3. And this is one is the most intangilble..... It just doesn't grab me... although the playing by Sonny Red (on Mustang which I'm listening to as I type this... ) is quite interesting....

With all due respect, I find statements like Lee is the only one for me quite hard to fathom since Donald has such a sweet sound. But beyond that have you listened to Brownie, Blue Mitchell, Tommy Turrentine, Kenny Dorham, Woody Shaw, Carmell Jones or even Freddie Hubbard of the late 50s to early 60s. While I love Lee, there are many, many other brilliant trumpeters. If you made a statement like that you obviously haven't listened to them and I strongly suggest that you do before you make a statement like that again.

I also strongly disagree with your views about Pepper. While I have no objection to Gerry Mulligan and enjoy listening to him, for the hard driving hard bop sound of that ear, Pepper is THE MAN!

With all due respect, I find statements like Lee is the only one for me quite hard to fathom since Donald has such a sweet sound. But beyond that have you listened to Brownie, Blue Mitchell, Tommy Turrentine, Kenny Dorham, Woody Shaw, Carmell Jones or even Freddie Hubbard of the late 50s to early 60s. While I love Lee, there are many, many other brilliant trumpeters. If you made a statement like that you obviously haven't listened to them and I strongly suggest that you do before you make a statement like that again.

I also strongly disagree with your views about Pepper. While I have no objection to Gerry Mulligan and enjoy listening to him, for the hard driving hard bop sound of that ear, Pepper is THE MAN!

:wacko:

actually I have listened to ALL of those trumpeters... I have plenty of Clifford Brown and the Carmell Jones Select .... I enjoy both of them but IMHO, in the hard bop vein (hate to use that label)... I do place Lee Morgan in a seperate class... (both as a trumpeter and a composer)...

Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about....

:angry::angry::angry:

I'm glad you like Pepper... but I still stand by my comments... that if I wanted more baritone I'd still go with the Mulligan set...

:wacko:

actually I have listened to ALL of those trumpeters... I have plenty of Clifford Brown and the Carmell Jones Select .... I enjoy both of them but IMHO, in the hard bop vein (hate to use that label)... I do place Lee Morgan in a seperate class... (both as a trumpeter and a composer)...

Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about....

:angry::angry::angry:

I'm glad you like Pepper... but I still stand by my comments... that if I wanted more baritone I'd still go with the Mulligan set...

Sorry if I offended you with that statement but if you make a statement like that AFTER you've heard all those and you place someone like Brownie behind Lee, that's clearly mind blowing and just wrong headed, in my view. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion.

I understand what you're saying and to clarify.... I said when I listen to someone in the hard bop vein.... I have a hard time not comparing them to Lee Morgan...

I don't consider Clifford Brown a hard bop trumpeter...BeBop yes, hard bop no.... and I don't consider Lee Morgan "better" than Brownie... He's different... I do consider Lee Morgan and Donald Byrd (and a few of others you named... Tommy Turrentine, etc.) in the hard bop vein....

There are other trumpeters that I consider different (and in some ways better) than Lee Morgan... Miles, Dizzy, Brownie.... etc... but for what Lee played... I consider him the best....

Hope that helps clarify things...

and no offense taken

;)

I agree with the Mosaic liner notes when they said that Pepper's playing is "slashing, angular." Very much so, and if you dig Mulligan, then Pepper may not be your cup of tea.

OTOH, it could just be a matter of time. There was a time when I couldn't stand Joe Henderson, and would've taken Paul Desmond over Joe ANY day of the week.

Thank God THAT'S in the past! (Although I still dig Desmond...... a LOT!) ;)

...and that's the thing, al. listeners, especially ones who haven't been listening forever, have completely different sensibilities about whom they listen to and why. i think i should be as sensitive as i can to that instead of coming out swinging when someone says that ________________ isn't quite their cup of tea. after all, not being able to tolerate much cecil taylor/anthony braxton/archie shepp/sun ra, i can relate all too well.

-e-