Eureka!!!

porcy62

Since I started to buy used vinyls some years ago I was obsessed with cleaning.

A part washing machines I tried every audiophile product on the market, with different results from poor to discreet.

A couple of week ago I met an italian collector, he showed me his way.

Well, I couldn't believe to my ears and eyes!

With a sponge and soap for dish he resurrected an old lp of King Crimson I considered dead, after countless cleaning with all the esoteric stuff I bought.

His method:

Rinse the record on both side with tap water, put some soap for dish on the sponge, clean the record with circular movements on both directions.

Rinse very well both side of the record.

Dry the recor with a used towel, don't rub the label, it will dry during the last phase.

Then play the record on both side, the stylus will remove the residue in the grove.

The miracle happened at the second listening: unbeliveble!

The record sounds almost perfect and the label looks perfect too.

I imagine that some of you already use this method with most of the records, I mean I will not guaranteed that will work with shellac or old 78, but it works great with 33, and maybe with some labels you could loose some brightness and color.

Anyway I wish to part it with all vinyl heads on the board.

I think I will work a lot as dish washer in the next few days. :)

Edited by porcy62

I use this method on used lp's also, but i use a brush made for combing a babys hair. It seems to be stiff enough to dislodge little particles of gunk in the grooves without scratching the vinyl.

After cleaning, i used to give the record a spin on a old turntable at 78 rpm to get the deposits picked up. Now, i have a Nitty Gritty machine, so i just vac them dry.

No cleaning system is going to take care of scratchs, but this method will do away with pops caused by particles of whatever being lodged in the grooves.

Wait - doesn't this require PLAYING said albums post-cleaning?

Mike

At least at 78RPM, the sound of the G-ster would amuse, rather than annoy.

A long time vinyl fiend friend of mine says not to use any kind of soap because it leaves a film, no matter how much it's rinsed. He uses hot tap water, laying the disc on a dish towel afterwards and blotting off the excess water. He then puts the record on it's edge in a plastic dishrack and lets it dry.

But, the baby brush suggestion sounds like a winner.

Edited by patricia

Of course - just about anything between 1955 and 1985 or thereabouts was available on vinyl. The G-ster's first five albums definitely were. I think the first CD-only album by the dreaded one was "Live" (more accurately "undead" perhaps) from 1989.

Mike

Dammit, Mike, you made me do something I never thought I'd have to do: look up Kenny G on AMG. :P

I didn't realize that his career went back so far (his first album in 1982). For some reason I thought him a 90's phenomenon, which is why I wasn't sure if he hit the tail end of the "LP age."

Hmmm. Duotones and Miracles both get 4 1/2 stars... :w