Fav Blakey RVG Remasters

Soulstation1

Buhaina's delight and Indestructible are my fav. RVGs. Not that keen on 'Night in Tunisia' apart from the title track. 'Indestructible' is my favourite Blakey album along with 'Mosaic'.

Edited by ASNL77

Any views on 'Like someone in love'? It's the only one I don't have. I have never read anything really encouraging on that one.

Its included in the 'Blakey Complete 1960' Mosaic box. Buy with confidence if you see the Collectors' Choice CD, it's well up to standard.

For some reason this one was held back from release initially and only appeared during the Liberty period. Surplus of Blakey, I guess.. :huh:

I was not much of a Blakey fan until last year, when I got the Free For All RVG and loved it. So I went and bought the rest of the albums with Shorter. (I already owned Night In Tunisia.) I find it really hard to choose between Free For All and Buhaina's Delight. And there's some great tunes on INdestructible as well!

RE: "Is there a bad one?"

As in bad remastering? Yeah, the 'Buhaina's Delight' 24-bit RVG re-issue from last year. The remastering is so compressed, Bu's cymbals are smeared to smithereens. Until EMI gets Rudy a top-o-the-line Beltone, I'm laying off his 24-bit remasters. Malcolm Addey gets 'em right every time.

imo

all blakey should be played LOUD

ss1

If it's an RVG, you might not have any choice... :w;)<_<

:g

That happens a lot on his remasters. Tina Brooks's Waiting Game, "Talkin About", Philly Joe's rivet cymbol just kills the whole song. Not because of him, but the way it was recorded, or remastered.