Billie Holiday Columbia set

Ed S

I just bagged the Holiday Columbia/Legacy 10 CD set on Ebay for $80. I hope that's a pretty decent price, but price aside - anyone who has this set care to offer an opinion as to I'm what I'm in for? I'm looking forward to hearing this material and would appreciate some comments - positive or negative.

Thanks

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Guest Mnytime

It's Billy so you know what your going to get in terms of singing. The sound is superior to those shitty sounding 80's Columbia releases.

You are in for some great listening.

And $80 is a good deal from Ebay.

Edited by Mnytime

It's a wonderful set, but I don't like the sound (though it's indeed superior to those wretched early CD reissues): on my system and to my ears it sounds pumped-up and harsh, especially in the louder vocal parts. Pity.

Edited by J.A.W.

Thanks for the feedback. On my system and with my ears I'm guessing that what most consider to be a sonic upgrade will sound simply sublime to me. I really don't have a lot of Billie Holiday and certainly even less of this time period. Looking forward to continuing to exploring some more pre-war jazz.

Grat music.. not just the vocals but the bands. The alternates are well worth it, even if you are not into alternates.. generally the solos, especially those by Pres, are dquite different on the various takes.

I am not one to dump old CDs just for a sonic improvement, I bought the Billie because I wanted the Alternates.. Pres on Mean to Me in particular.. but have to admit that on my system the sound is spectacular considering the age of the recordings ( idid have, still do, the older set)

Guest Chaney

I think you'll love this set, Ed.

As I don't believe you profess to be an audiophile, you should not have a problem with the sound.

Like Hans though, my system is very revealing and I hear the same problems that he has listed. In my case though, the combination of a Krell amp and Thiel speakers is most likely the culprit.

I think this box is not only a wonderful job in terms of remastering (I had much of it in Hep label CD remasterings, which were quite good for the time, and this is a huge step forward), but the music is truly of desert island quality. Billie, Teddy Wilson, Lester, Hodges, Goodman, Jones, and a host of less celebrated but wonderful musicians in their absolute prime, playing definitive jazz for the era. What's not to like?

Great buy you got there, too, $80 is way more than reasonable.

Okay, so maybe it doesn't sound great on solid state and electrostatics, but the sound is great on my system!  Better than any other cd releases I've heard of the material.  You are going to really enjoy this ED!

I think you'll love this set, Ed.

As I don't believe you profess to be an audiophile, you should not have a problem with the sound.

Like Hans though, my system is very revealing and I hear the same problems that he has listed.  In my case though, the combination of a Krell amp and Thiel speakers is most likely the culprit.

Lon might have a point, the remastering might not be suited for very revealing, solid-state-based high-end systems. However, I decided to listen to the entire set again (not in one sitting, though :) ) and start with disc 10. So far, it sounds OK, mellower than I remembered.

Edited by J.A.W.

I don't agree with my friends Hans and Chaney. I think the sound coming out of my B&W Nautilus' are fine.

Mine seem to be OK as well. But who am I to say what's good?! B)

I have a 3LP Columbiia early 60s Billie Holiday boxed set that covers a lot of the master takes and it sounds great, taking into consideration tha age of the recordings.

This new set must sound wonderful. I'm thinking about getting me one.

I got mine in a fairly complicated deal from Columbia House. The set was on sale for $84.99, which let me pick 4 free cds. This shipment cost a total of $113.32, and this purchase earned enough bonus points to order 2 more discs. When this is completed I will have a total of 16 cds for $119.24 - average disc price $7.45.

I found the sonic upgrade of this material in the new Columbia box set to be miraculous. I never thought that I would be able to hear these recordings in this kind of sound.

As far as the music, it cannot be surpassed.

If I had to choose one box set to take to that infamous island, this could very well be it.

Thanks for the ebay tip Chaney! I've been looking for this box set at reasonable price. It will be added to my Billie Holiday Verve and Commodore sets. :) Someone (sorry, getting forgetful) on the old BNBB suggested these three box sets and the single CD Lady in Satin would make a comprehensive overview of Bille's career. I have certainly enjoyed the other sets. Can't wait to explore the Columbia.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my set FINALLY arrived 4 days ago. :party: I've been binging on Billie Holiday ever since. Marvelous, marvelous, marvelous music. All the other adjectives mentioned above apply as well.

I can't say enough about the beautiful singing and music on this set. I'm so very glad I took the plunge. It's been a very rewarding purchase. Easily one of the best sets I've got.

I find the sound to be excellent - given my rather indiscriminating ears and rather low-end equipment. I've actually been listening to the set the last few nights out on the deck using a boom box, so you get the picture. But I've spun it some on my main 1985 vintage equipment with a similarly satisfying experience.

A word about the packaging. It's the single best box set package I've ever purchased. Great concept, fantastic booklet (or should I say book ;) ) and easy access to the discs which are cleverly housed in those 78 looking carboard sleeves. I'm a sucker for this sort of thing and they've done a great job establishing a look and feel that's perfect for the excellent music therein.

:tup:tup

Edited by Ed Swinnich

I just have the comp. of Billie and Lester entitled, A MUSICAL ROMANCE, and it has most assuredly whetted my appetite for more (hence the thread started by yours truly in the discography section). But, I just might have to scrounge/save up some cash, bite the bullet, and go for the big set. It sounds to good to pass up.