The dumbest music thread ever

jazzypaul

Okay, so my boss put me on a scavenger hunt, looking for jazz with something (anything, really) to do with the Irish, Ireland, Shamrocks, whatever, for St. Patrick's Day.

Okay, so I've got Coleman Hawkins doing I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover and Rosemary Clooney doing Danny Boy. After that, I'm licked.

Any suggestions?

The last track on this little beauty is a wonderful version of 'Danny Boy'. Turns into a Scottish strathspey in the middle but should do the job.

LRADIOsm.jpg

There's a strange version of 'Teddy Bears Picnic' on the album too. Might appeal to your boss's tastes!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

There's a professor at U of M(ichigan) who does a credible version of Celtic influenced jazz, and eric reed and wycliffe gordon do a *great* version of Danny Boy, and Michael Brecker was on some kind of celtic jazz project a couple of years back as well, released in Europe on a French label distributed by Harmonia Mundi.

And, finally, though they are not jazz, you oughta play Tommy Maken doing Green Fields of France and the Clancy Brothers doing Lord Nelson Live in Dublin.

--eric

Paul,

Go find "Deuces Wild" with Don Patterson on the organ and Rufus Harley on...

BAGPIPES!!!!

It's greeazy... in an un-washed Irishman sort of way.

The Rufus Harley discs are already on the pile, man. Can't expect me to stray too far from an organist and a bagpipe player who throws up every day, can you?

One of the international guests at this year's Wangaratta Jazz Festival was the Irish outfit the Guilfoyle-Nielsen Trio. Bass, drums, guitar.

They performed on their own with tenor saxist Jamie Oehlers and with Dave Liebman, who I interviewed before the festival. He raved about them, having worked with them for more than a decade.

Sad to say, I didn't much enjoy either! But going by the CDRs the festival supplied, there is a definite Irish feel in their music. But a little too much that sounded fusioneqsue for my tastes.