Hubbard and Morgan

montg

I'm sure they differ in a lot of ways, some more subtle than others, but I'm mostly too ignorant to pick up on these differences. Mostly, what I hear is that Hubbard is a little more harmonically 'free' and also a little more sloppy (or creative, depending on your opinion) in articulation. I'm curious to learn how others perceive or discriminate between FH and LM.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always associate those really expressive, incredibly well-placed 'slurs' with Lee's playing. Maybe 'scoops' would be a more descriptive term (at least that's what vocalists would call them). Another description: hitting a pitch, by sliding up (or down) to it by a half-step, or at least a quarter-step away from the pitch.

Maybe Freddie does some of this too - I hadn't really thought about it. But Lee does them in a way that seems so incredibly natural (IMHO), almost "conversational". I think Lee's solos often have a "story-telling" quality to them. Joe Henderson often had this knack as well. (As did Woody Shaw.)

All subjective, to be sure. Your mileage may vary.

Other than they both play trumpet. Two completely different musical minds. However, BOTH very, very soulful. Just taking two different paths to get there many times. I don't buy the argument that Lee is bluesy and has soul and Freddie is technical and cold. I'm not buying.

Both are beautiful. :)

I think later on there's a bigger difference and it's easier to tell but if your talking about them in The Jazz Messengers when Hubbard is playing more... well, like Lee, I think the nuances of Morgan playing a little "hotter" and his slurring are the biggest differences.

Other than they both play trumpet. Two completely different musical minds. However, BOTH very, very soulful. Just taking two different paths to get there many times. I don't buy the argument that Lee is bluesy and has soul and Freddie is technical and cold. I'm not buying.

Both are beautiful. :)

Well said.

Guest ariceffron

FREDDIE MIGHT HAVE DONE MORE AVANTGARDE OR JOUNRNEYMAN TYPES OF DATES THAN LEE BUT THATS BECAUSE HE WAS NOT AS GOOD A BEBOP PLAYER AS LEE AND SO HE HAD TO PLAY ALL WHAKY. LEE IS THE BETTER OF THE 2 FOR SURE, BUT THEY ARE BOTH DAMN FUCKING GOOD MIND U.

No, we cross-posted. My response was to ariceffron's post, as I edited it after seeing that yours intervened. As to your comment, I do see your point, and thought it witty the way you stated it, though I don't agree with it in the particulars.

Aside from that, your petty attacks against me, across the board, are just inane. If you have some disagreement with me, then have the balls to state it rather than just posting the juvenile snipes that you do.