I WENT TO THE BATHROOM W/LESTER YOUNG!!!!!!

JSngry

Slept in the same bed with him too!

Whilst at Disney World, we stayed at their "family-friendly"-priced All-Star Music Resort, where the "theme" was, of course, music. This meant three-story high maraccas, a cheapo photo gallery in the lobby (some nice Gottlieb shots, though), music-themed decor in the rooms, & BET On Jazz on the TV.

The bedspreads and wallpaper each had the same design, the former in color, the latter in shades of green and white. What that pattern was was a "painted" collage of photos of musicians, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ersel Hickey, among them.

And Lester Young. I nearly tripped out on the spot. The photo used as reference for the painting was the one of Prez (Paris, 1959, iirc) - black jacket, hat on, horn straight down, eyes checking out the scene one last time.

First time I've ever taken pictures of hotel wallpaper and bed coverings.

Do you know how wiggy it is to check into a hotel (not just any hotel, mind you, but a DISNEY hotel) @ 11 P.M., fall into the bed asap, wake up 3 hours later, stumble into the bathroom to take a dump, sit down, start tcb-ing, and just as the eyes start focusing see LESTER YOUNG on the wall right in front of you? Not just once, but many times?

Enough about Lester wallpaper.......did you eat lots of multi-colored M&Ms in that candy shop on Main Street and then ride the 'Tea Cups'?

No, and no. The daughter's not into that, thankfully.

Did ride Space Mountain a few times though. Still a treat, but the Aerosmith coaster at the MGM park smokes it.

Do they serve beer at Disney World?

Yes. Beer, liquor (mixed drinks and bottles), and cigarettes. On the grounds and in the hotels (you could only buy bottles in the hotels).

Limits on the booze sales, though. One per person per trip to the counter. But no limit to how many counters you could visit....

Limits on the booze sales, though. One per person per trip to the counter. But no limit to how many counters you could visit....

Yeah, well thank god for those single limits...

you might just start seeing...

uh, wait.......

:P

:lol:

Dang. I just realized that had I known you were heading for Disney World, I would have asked you for a favor.

In May 1999, Lee Morgan's brother Jimmy lent a trumpet to the Downbeat hall of fame when it opened at Disney World. Tragically, Jimmy fell ill and died just six months later. I'm pretty sure that he had only lent the horn, not donated it. Since Jimmy's widow was not really aware of the whole Lee-thing going on (she and Jimmy met after 1972), I doubt that she's pursued the idea of eventually getting the horn back. I wonder if it's still sitting in the museum, or if it's gone AWOL. I never was able to figure out who to contact at Disney World.

Bertrand.

I wouldn't know either, but a phone call to the Disney toll-free under the guise of requesting some information for a possible vacation could probably get you some leads, eventually. Those folks LOVE to be of service to guests and potential guests. Seriously.

Around about 1981 I saw Johnny Hartman at Disney World at a bar/lounge they had there. He sang as well as he could given the fact that hardly anyone was there to hear him, it was noisy and he had a pretty sad pick-up group behind him. I remember a popcorn machine churning away during a ballad.

After the set, I found Hartman sitting in a chair,smoking and all alone in a hallway outside of the lounge. He looked so sad and disgusted! I didn't feel I should say anything to him ( I kind of wish I had, today) but he had LPs that he had the bar selling so I bought a copiy of each, even though I already had at least one of them. I had to do something for him!

Odd place indeed! I don't believe there was a cover charge and Zoot Sims was there the week before and Clark Terry the next week!