acid

nemo7

Acid Jazz is a silly name. Funny, I was talking about this with our new manager and he said, "What the heck is acid jazz?" and I said, well... it's basically soul-jazz from the 60s and 70s.

So why don't they just call it soul jazz? Because that's not hip... I guess.

So nemo, when you talk about acid jazz are you talking the old stuff or the new stuff, like the James Taylor Quartet?

Acid Jazz is a silly name.  Funny, I was talking about this with our new manager and he said, "What the heck is acid jazz?" and I said, well... it's basically soul-jazz from the 60s and 70s. 

So why don't they just call it soul jazz?  Because that's not hip... I guess. 

So nemo, when you talk about acid jazz are you talking the old stuff or the new stuff, like the James Taylor Quartet?

I'm not so sure of this. I mean, yeah, Fantasy used the words "Legends of Acid Jazz" in their marketing for a bunch of soul jazz titles. But Verve also did a "Roots of Acid Jazz" series--the music inside was regarded as the forerunner to this acid jazz thing, whatever it is. To me they both seem like they're going after a demographic of younger people who actually think of a very different style when they hear the words "acid jazz"--and that style is actually pretty distant from jazz and much closer to the funkier varieties of modern electronic dance music (I hate to call it "electronica," but the two definitely seem to have similar fan bases, based on what I've seen in record stores that cater to DJs of this kind of thing).

Edited by Big Wheel

Hmm... well... that's what it is I guess. All I know is that when asked about acid jazz, Jimmy Smith said something like, "Acid jazz is a stupid name. I didn't take no acid!"

:)

This strikes me as a little bit like asking Louis Armstrong in 1945 what he thought of bebop. In 1945 probably nobody who was an established jazz player could even agree on what the hell "bebop" was.