The Ramsey Lewis Trio

Jazz Kat

What are your opinions on the Ramsey Lewis Trio,

Ramsey Lewis: piano

Eldee Young: bass

Red Holt: drums

I like their early stuff, but the late stuff where its all bossa novas under Beatles' songs, just bugs me. The album Pot Luck was pretty good. The In Crowd album was great, it's just the albums after the big hit that I dont like, but there werent that many, just the ones like Hang On Ramsey.

What do you guys think??

Hang On Ramsey was my first jazz album, in the summer of '66!

I listen to it occassionally and enjoy it, probably for the nostalgia. I'm not a fan of his. I think that he was the poor man's Red Garland, who was in my book the poor man's Ahmad Jamal.

But as I understand it, Lewis was regarded as a great showman. He should be given credit for being the first jazz musician to be hip to what the kids were listening to, and recording The In Crowd, A Hard Day's Night, and Hang On Sloopy.

He was to my knowledge, which pales next to that of some of you guys, the first modern jazz musician to record a Christmas album, as well.

That's marketing!

The Ramsey Lewis Trio was one of the first jazz groups I heard growing up. I guess I was about 2 or 3 when I first heard the "In Crowd" lp.

Certainly the blues-based music that made up much of their repetoire had a big influence on me in terms of what a "jazz" sound was.

And, being a drummer, I still count Red Holt as an early influence. That group could swing!

I don't listen to them much now, but "More Music From The Soil" remains a favorite lp of mine.

The Ramsey Lewis Trio was one of the first jazz groups I heard growing up. I guess I was about 2 or 3 when I first heard the "In Crowd" lp.

Certainly the blues-based music that made up much of their repetoire had a big influence on me in terms of what a "jazz" sound was.

And, being a drummer, I still count Red Holt as an early influence. That group could swing!

I don't listen to them much now, but "More Music From The Soil" remains a favorite lp of mine.

Me either. They were one of my favorite groups a couple years ago, where I played nothing but them. I loved the arrangements.

The Ramsey Lewis Trio was one of the first jazz groups I heard growing up.

I can also say this. My dad had a few of the albums, including the maligned Beatles one (it's not that bad, there's more electric piano on it if I recall). I had a specific year of RL that in retrospective, maybe changed me more than I thought.

When I was 15 and moving away from my mullet and metal collection, Ramsey Lewis, Oscar Peterson and the MJQ were my turning points. But mostly Lewis. I also had the Chess set, and another collection on LP that had a picture of him with his family - like a portrait. I also worked hard to learn the In Crowd solo. I remember even having the balls to play it for some event at my YMCA. In fact my dad has - and I have it somewher - a sheet music collection of RL, which helped my transcriptions. I just loved that funky blues sound he got. I also remember going to a leadership training camp in northern Ontario for 2 weeks - I was later a camp counsellor elsewhere. There were some camps of the Christian Right persuasion represented there that abhorred this long-hair playing jazz until I pulled out a funky Wade in the Water, a la Ramsey. And then they surrounded my piano and started singing. That's an odd memory!

While I don't think he's the greatest pianist out there, and I haven't pulled out one of his records in a long time, I think he has a historical significance. The long version of the In Crowd still has a great fun vibe. I love how they bring the volume down to a whisper at the end and then back up again. Very effective.

I have a copy of the Young/Holt trio featuring the RL rythym section and with capable pianist Hysear Don Walker - whatever happened to him?

An earlier album from the Bohemian Caverns has never been reissued (although some of it showed up in that misguided series of double-CD reissues) - it was actually a little bit of a "hit" - the single version of "Something You Got" had some airplay. The album is mostly known for the long "West Side Story" medley, but also had a good version (hard to believe!) of "People."

A lot of extra material from the Lighthouse "Hard Day's Night" gig has surfaced over the years in "official" and unofficial releases - that could make a nice package. (Although it's not exactly Bill Evans at the Vanguard...)

Basically, none of the Ramsey Lewis Trio albums have been released on CD, except for of course, The In Crowd, and Down To Earth.

The albums were

Gentlemen of Jazz

Gentlemen of Swing

An Hour With The Ramsey Lewis Trio

Bach To The Blues

Pot Luck

Hang On Ramsey

Swinging With The Ramsey Lewis Trio

In Chicago

At Bohemian Caverns

Never On Sunday

More Music From Soil

An album with some trumpet player, forgot the name

The Sound Of Christmas

More Sounds Of Christmas

In Crowd

Down To Earth

Stretchin' Out

(none of those, except for In Crowd, Down To Earth and Sound Of X-Mas were released on cd yet, and they're all pretty hard to find.)