Maybe Maybeck?

I thoroughly enjoyed my first "Maybeck" - Adam Makowicz at Maybeck (vol. 24). :)

was this one typical of the series? if so then i am impressed!!!! :excited:

how about some recommendations for my next "Maybeck?" :rolleyes:

which ones should be avoided? :o

as always, thanks in advance to the village! B-)

My personal favorite has always been the Kenny Barron, but I would say start with where your tastes lie. I have them all and it's hard to say that there are any to be completely avoided for they all have good moments. I've never really warmed to the Mike Wofford, though the next time I listen I may really enjoy it. I also thought the Cedar Walton was below par (why didn't he explore more of his own compositions?) And the Ralph Sutton seems a bit flat compared to some of his other solo recordings. But the Hank Jones is excellent and perhaps the most pleasant surprise of the series for me was the Andy Laverne.

A few years ago, I did my own star rating of all the Maybecks so if you're interested, send me a personal e-mail and I'll send it to you. Of course, your rating may be totally different, but it will give you an idea of how one person ranks them.

Makovicz is brilliant, and his entry in the series is almost above average. That said, the standards are high, and there are several others which I consider as equally good.

As John, I found the Cedar Walton set less interesting. However, the Hank Jones is excellent and Joanne Brackeen is terrific on the standard tunes (but I don't care much for her originals). Walter Norris is underrated I think, and his Maybeck solo are sometimes a bit similar in style to Makovicz. Anyway, it's one from the series that I think stands out.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first "Maybeck" - Adam Makowicz at Maybeck (vol. 24). :)

was this one typical of the series? if so then i am impressed!!!! :excited:

how about some recommendations for my next "Maybeck?" :rolleyes:

which ones should be avoided? :o

as always, thanks in advance to the village! B-)

...Buddy Montgomery :)

• 11 months later...

Today I have been in a Jaki Byard solo piano mood. Listening now on Rahpsody to his Maybeck date for the first time and it is really making me wish I can find a copy at a reasonable price. Moreso than ever considering paying the $7.00 it would cost to buy it from Rhapsody and burn it to CDR until I can find the actual disc. I need to pay Byard some more attention.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

One that I really like that may be easy to miss is the Mike Wofford. A highlight is his version of Ray Bryant's "Tonk," an irresitably clever-catchy tune. There's also a version of a standard -- as I recall it's "Too Marvelous For Words" -- that's really Tatum-esque in its deep/quirky harmonic thinking, though it's far from a literal Tatum salute.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...