Anonymity

Ted O'Reilly

I'd also note that anonymity has absolutely nothing to do with whethe or not one stands behind what one writes, as the above examples should make clear. And I see no difference at all in the degree of rashness or stupidity between those who post under their own names and those that don't. Though it does seem there may be a self-righteousness gap!

--eric

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Publishing a book under a nom-de-plume is kind of different from having a conversation, isn't it? A book is a one-way street, a conversation goes both directions. I've used a temporary nom-de-plume myself as a composer for young bands. Mainly so that we can get down to playing the music without the kids going crazy. But when the piece gets published, it's under my real name.

Mike

I used to write liner notes as Fred Nurdley, but only when I did not care for the music and needed the money (BTW, we all had pseudonyms: Dan Morgenstern was Michael Morgan and Orrin Keepnews was Peter Drew). I'm listed on another board as Nurdley, but my profile has the right name, and I think most people here know that Christiern or Chris A = Chris Albertson.

Publishing a book under a nom-de-plume is kind of different from having a conversation, isn't it? A book is a one-way street, a conversation goes both directions. I've used a temporary nom-de-plume myself as a composer for young bands. Mainly so that we can get down to playing the music without the kids going crazy. But when the piece gets published, it's under my real name.

Mike

Personally, I like to think of books as statements in one big discursive conversation, which we've been having for thousands of years. Cretainly someone like Orwell or Swift is best read as one side of an exchange, but I think most books can be looked on that way.

--eric

Some clients might think Organissimo is a sex site.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed at first as well, but it worked out okay...

Not you, Quincy, but some might misunderstand the meaning of organ or organism.

Those people are beyond our help.;)

Edited by patricia

Why bring this up?

Indeed. Especially when you consider that Chris was all but thrown out of JC by Lois earlier this year after crawling back under a pseudonym; and after his big, dramatic, delete all posts exit from JC last year. And yet he still lurks over there so he can fill in folks here about what I'm doing there.

Then over at AAJ he had a piece of his backside removed by Mike who told him to take his act and leave if he continued to engage in yet another feud with someone else he can't get along with.

This a good example why one would want to be anonymous online. I'd hate to have Chris stalking me in real life in addition to following me all over cyber space so he can harrass me.

Rainy Day is all wet, as it were (sorry, Mala, couldn't resist).

:blush:

Well, she has her facts mixed up, but at least she curbed the gutter language, this time. :g

• Now, about those Monk/Coltrane recordings: great stuff. Amazing, too, that they emerge at the same time as the Dizzy/Bird Town Hall set. If these comprised the total of this year's releases, 2005 would still be a very good year. :tup:tup

Guest akanalog

this thread is the stupidest thread on this board and should be deleted.

it started with someone who never posted here telling the people here they had no balls for not using their real names even though the entire internet works like this except in really pretentious places where people have to let everyone else know how much they know.

and now the thread has gone on for page after page debating the merits of internet names versus real names which is just stupid since EVERYONE EVERYWHERE on the internet does it and then into some tangential and immature name calling and accustions all started on the stupid premise of someone telling the community here (which has worked 98 percent fine, by the way the way it is) why HE didn't want to post here like we were all waiting to hear his wisdom (even though he has produced at least one fine jazz album as far as i know so it is good to have him here). but it has just degenerated from there.

I'd hate to have Chris stalking me in real life in addition to fo.....

Somehow I can't picture Chris rustling around in the shrubs in his black velvet smoking jacket, clipping telephone wires in the middle of the night. :ph34r:

That's a good way to ruin your slippers.

--eric

this thread is the stupidest thread on this board and should be deleted.

it started with someone who never posted here telling the people here they had no balls for not using their real names even though the entire internet works like this except in really pretentious places where people have to let everyone else know how much they know.

and now the thread has gone on for page after page debating the merits of internet names versus real names which is just stupid since EVERYONE EVERYWHERE on the internet does it and then into some tangential and immature name calling and accustions all started on the stupid premise of someone telling the community here (which has worked 98 percent fine, by the way the way it is) why HE didn't want to post here like we were all waiting to hear his wisdom (even though he has produced at least one fine jazz album as far as i know so it is good to have him here).  but it has just degenerated from there.

Stupidest EVER? I find this hard to believe. Surely we've done stupider things than this. I think the collective nervous breakdown thread was about as stupid as we got, but I am a connoisseur of stupid.

And anyhow, just because everybody else on the Internet does it one way doesn't mean we can't complain about it and try to create elaborate philosophical justifications for the status quo. I just wish we'd drag the issue away from the personal animosities present here.

--eric

I could think of better things to stalk, if that were my bent. :g

Yes, it is indeed a silly thread, Mr. Analog, but skipping threads that bother one works 100% fine for me. In fact, I'm seriously thinking of henceforth skipping this one. :unsure:

Weizen, if you only knew how many fine smoking jackets I've ruined in the bushes! Armani customer support no longer takes my calls--it's devastating.

Weizen, if you only knew how many fine smoking jackets I've ruined in the bushes!  Armani customer support no longer takes my calls--it's devastating.

Well as long as you bypass the Boston operation, which is staffed by troglodyte yahoos, your best bet would be to dump Armani in favor of Ralph Lauren. BTW, WSJ last week had a piece about the return of velvet for men & women.....a much higher quality product than the stuff that shocked & awed (Robert Goulet & powder blue :bad: ) ...and then died in the 70's. I'm thinkin' black forest green crushed velvet blazer myself.... :cool: