What's your favorite Bird live session?

medjuck

i always look forward to listening to this short item. i don't have that last tune though.

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/BirdSessions.aspx?s=500519b

May 19, 1950 (3 items; TT = 14:27)

Renaissance Ballroom, New York NY

Private recording (Tape)

Machito's Afro-Cuban band

Charlie Parker (as); Howard McGhee (tpt); Mario Bauza (tpt); Frank "Paquito" Davilla (tpt); Bob Woodlen (tpt); Gene Johnson (as); Fred Skerritt (as); Jose Madera (ts); Frank Socolow (ts); Leslie Johnakins (bs); Rene Hernandez (p); Roberto Rodriguez (b); Jose Mangual (bgo); Luis Miranda (cga); Umbaldo Nieto (timbales); Frank "Machito" Grillo (maracas)

Mambo Fortunado (Unknown) [bird's Mambo] 5:04

Lament for the Congo (Unknown) [bongo Ballad] 5:44

Reminiscing at Twilight (F. Davilla) 3:39

No Parker solo.

It's hard to know where to begin with a topic like this but the material at the Royal Roost that's on the Savoy Live set is fabulous as is the Bird at Birdland material. There's also the Mosaic box that has a lot of good nuggets (although this box is not for everybody). But the Uptown releases are very good.

Edited by Brad

Those are both good ones. (That stereo piece on that one Rockland always gasses me). It really is a horn of plenty. . . . Bird was so consistently brilliant that it's almost as if whatever you are listening to is your favorite! Or you pick favorites by his accompanists.

There are a lot of great live Bird recordings, some of which have already been mentioned. I'll add:

Charlie Parker at The Open Door - July, 1953. The release I have is on Ember. Philology may also have issued this date. A-1 Bird.

Yes! The Open Door is unfortunately only Bird solos in variable sound quality. But I freaked when that was first released about 7 years ago. Bird is in another universe. Anybody who thinks that Charlie Parker was in artistic decline in the 1950s should give that one a listen.

I have had various favorites but the one concert I listen to most often lately is that Rockland Palace concert. Bird was in full flight that evening. The 2CD release from Jazz Classics of the concert was a true ornithology find! Doug Pomeroy did wonders to the material!

Rockland Palace and Howard Theater.

I don't think I have the Howard Theater recording. Who put that one out?

According to Miles Ahead discography of Bird, there are two recorded performances at the Howard Theater:

October 18, 1952 (5 items; TT = 21:41)

Howard Theater, Washington DC

Private recording (Tape)

Jam session

Charlie Parker (as); Charlie Walp (tpt); Kai Winding (tb); Earl Swope (tb); Zoot Sims [John Haley] (ts); Bill Shanahan (p); Charlie Byrd (g); Merton Oliver (b); Don Lamond (d); Unknown (bgo)

-Scrapple from the Apple (C. Parker) 5:22

Parker calls for "Out of Nowhere" during the applause.

-Out of Nowhere (E. Heyman-J.W. Green) 4:02

-Now's the Time (C. Parker) 8:00

Add Walp (tpt), Swope and Winding (tb), and Sims (ts).

-52nd Street Theme (T. Monk) 0:03

-Cool Blues (C. Parker) (incomplete) 4:14

Add Walp (tpt), Swope (tb). Begins mid-Parker solo, then Swope solo, Walp solo, closing chorus. Incomplete (1:30) on RJD-505.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Scrapple from the Apple

12" LP: Bird Box LP 18, VGM 0009

CD: Royal Jazz RJD 505, Blue Note 22626, Bird Box Volume 14, Philology Volume 32 (W 863)

-Out of Nowhere

CD: Royal Jazz RJD 505, Blue Note 22626, Bird Box Volume 14, Philology Volume 32 (W 863)

-Now's the Time

-52nd Street Theme

-Cool Blues (incomplete)

CD: Royal Jazz RJD 505, Philology Volume 26 (W 857), Volume 32 (W 863), Volume 32 (Revised) (W 863)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was a midnight All-Star jam session (the Howard staged such events regularly at this time). Another version of "Cool Blues" (with just a Parker-led quartet) is sometimes included with this session, but it belongs on March 8, 1953. Thanks to Carlos de Rosselló for help with these dates.

March 8, 1953 (4 items; TT = 18:05)

Howard Theater, Washington DC

Private recording (Tape)

Charlie Parker Quartet:

Charlie Parker (as); Jack Holliday (p); Franklin Skeete (b); Max Roach (d)

-Ornithology (C. Parker-B. Harris) (incomplete) 4:20

-Out of Nowhere (E. Heyman-J.W. Green) 4:36

-Cool Blues (C. Parker) 4:13

Blue Note 22626 and Philology Volume 32 (Revised) omit the first 0:10.

-Anthropology (D. Gillespie-C. Parker) 4:56

-Ornithology (incomplete)

12" LP: VGM 0009

CD: Blue Note 22626, Philology Volume 18 (W 848), Volume 32 (W 863), Volume 59 (W 890)

-Out of Nowhere

CD: Blue Note 22626, Philology Volume 18 (W 848), Volume 32 (W 863)

-Cool Blues

CD: Blue Note 22626, Philology Volume 26 (W 857), Volume 32 (W 863)

-Anthropology

CD: Blue Note 22626, Philology Volume 18 (W 848), Volume 32 (W 863)

Philology Volume 18 does not identify the personnel.

The version of "Cool Blues" on Philology Volumes 26 and 32 contains an additional 10+ seconds not included on Blue Note 22626 or on Philology 32 (Revised). In addition, there are speed differences that account for the variation in times for this track.

Philology Volumes 26 and 32 place this "Cool Blues" on October 18, 1952, but it must belong here. Thanks to Carlos de Rosselló for help with these dates.

I have had various favorites but the one concert I listen to most often lately is that Rockland Palace concert. Bird was in full flight that evening. The 2CD release from Jazz Classics of the concert was a true ornithology find! Doug Pomeroy did wonders to the material!

Hey, welcome back, brownie!!!

Here´s what we know as bird call :P

I've always been quite partial to a set recorded at Carnegie Hall on Christmas Day 1949. Bird's quintet includes Red Rodney, Al Haig and Roy Haynes performing 5 tunes including an incendiary version of "Koko". Available on the now OOP cd, CHARLIE PARKER & THE STARS OF MODERN JAZZ, 1949 (Jass).