What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vaguely remember it. The problem I have with some of those old dramas is the pace of it - not that that's at all wrong (in fact IMO it can be very right) but we are so used now to seeing fast paced stuff with the inevitable sub-woofer noise in the background that it comes as a bit of a shock !

Wasn't it broadcast around the same time as 'The Beidebecke Connection'?

Think it was earlier - I recall the Beidebecke from the early/mid-80s.

I like that slow pace. I have no time for the rapid paced stuff. I recall watching 'Spooks' for a while but gave up because I found so much was telescoped into one episode that could have been more effectively handled over three. Same with things like the TV versions of Wallander and the Ian Rankin books - 90 minutes to cover a book that would take you a couple of weeks (at my term-time pace).

This sort of series almost seems to happen in real time - the scenes in the drab Victorian living room of the big house with two elder aunts and a scrounging uncle really do evoke the endless tedium of a wet winter afternoon.

Forever seeking the award for the most unhip person on this board:

sound-of-music-DVDcover.jpg

That clinches it ! :g

Well thank you, thank you for that award I've been seeking all my life. I'd just like to also express my gratitude to my parents, my hair stylist, God....

This sort of series almost seems to happen in real time - the scenes in the drab Victorian living room of the big house with two elder aunts and a scrounging uncle really do evoke the endless tedium of a wet winter afternoon.

Just the thing for this stormy recessionary weekend !

Quite!

Despite the limited technology/budget of the time, there are some very evocative winter scenes in the first two episodes - the initial infatuation takes place whilst skating on a frozen Northamptonshire pond.

Interesting to see a very young Jeremy Irons and Peter Davidson in supporting roles here, a bit before they found fame in 'Brideshead Revisited' and other things.

Being set in the 1920s there's a nice popular jazz sountrack in places too - though, unlike most modern films, no filling of every moment with soundtrack.

Forever seeking the award for the most unhip person on this board:

sound-of-music-DVDcover.jpg

My ex bought this for me a few years ago. I wondered how she could possibly misread me so badly as to think I'd be interested, and wondered if "The Collected Laurence Welk" was next on the list.

I had to grudgingly admit it was pretty darned good, though...

Off Hulu: The Bob Newhart Show -- and I STILL cannot believe that Suzanne Pleshette is no longer with us. :(

Uh oh...once again Matthew runs me off the site to Hulu!

It really is a great site. Since I travel so much now, I canceled my Direct TV subscription, so I watch Hulu for tv shows that I enjoy, which are mostly from the 1970's. And I really can't believe that Suzanne Pleshette has passed away -- for some reason I still find that very depressing.