What Are You Watching

I agree with Kinuta. Broadchurch was OK but very predictable. 'Happy Valley' was utterly original and set in a place you don't normally find these sort of programmes.

The other one I'd rate big time from recent years is 'State of Play'.

I liked both seasons of Line Of Duty.

I got mixed up there. It was Line of Duty I meant. State of Play was a tremendous series from about 15 years back which I think got remade in the US more recently.

The Shadow Line was another strong series.

Happy Valley is on DVD in the UK. They might still be doing the translations for the subtitles for the American market!!!!

Watched the first part of the second series of Peaky Blinders last night:

peaky-blinders-cast.jpg

As ever, extremely stylised with grim, dark exteriors, very violent but compelling. Gang warfare in post-WWI Britain. The first series was set in Birmingham; they're branching out to London this series.

You should have added The Honourable Woman, Bev. That was great, one of the year's best.

I've not seen Peaky Blinders but your post might prompt me to do so.

I agree about the probable necessity of Happy Valley subtitles for the American market. I've always been grateful for the fact that I can follow any British regional dialect and usually have only minimal trouble with the American ones. It seems, however, that quite a few of our American chums have genuine trouble with British regional. Given also the often documented disdain for subtitles among younger cinema goers, it rather freezes out a lot of excellent films., which is a shame.

Edited by kinuta

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Valley has been released as a "Netflix Original" Streaming Exclusive, it has been available here in the states for a few months now.

"Netflix Original" means Netflix invested some money into the British production in exchange for exclusive US rights to play it via their streaming platform.

Edited by Shawn

You should have added The Honourable Woman, Bev. That was great, one of the year's best.

Indeed! How did I forget it.

Watched a nice little 90 min documentary on Genesis (the band, not the book!). Nicely done - interviews with all the main members (actually at all the 'classic' quintet members in the same room). Cleverly used talking heads to show their enthusiasm who didn't look like they played computer games the rest of the time.

Even though I was only a big follower in the 70s it's odd how the whole lifespan of the band seemed to nudge memories.

They are clearly in the process of being rehabilitated.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

14442669_201311201846.jpg

Not having seen these episodes in many years, it was a nice surprise to be reminded just how good this show was. The writing was consistently good and Jack Klugman and Tony Randall were outstanding actors who kept their respective characters from ever becoming one-dimensional roles.

p0276xk5.jpg

Long Shadow: Programme 1

An analysis of the effects of WWI over the subsequent century.

First programme examines the now familiar questioning of the 'Lions led by Donkeys' interpretation of WWI - how the view of the war changed over the century, influenced by contemporary events. Nicely presented.

Good to see that view presented calmly after Michael Gove's attempt to hi-jack it for political ends earlier in the year.

Homeland

Well done.

The first two parts were tight, well written and much better without the worn out Brody plotline.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series and hope they can keep it focused and avoid lapsing into silly side stories.

The Good Wife

Excellent. It's always been a favourite and still maintains a high level of acting, writing and pacing.

Gotham

Enjoyed it up to now.

Edited by kinuta

I agree with Kinuta. Broadchurch was OK but very predictable. 'Happy Valley' was utterly original and set in a place you don't normally find these sort of programmes.

The other one I'd rate big time from recent years is 'State of Play'.

I liked both seasons of Line Of Duty.

I got mixed up there. It was Line of Duty I meant. State of Play was a tremendous series from about 15 years back which I think got remade in the US more recently.

The Shadow Line was another strong series.

Happy Valley is on DVD in the UK. They might still be doing the translations for the subtitles for the American market!!!!

Watched the first part of the second series of Peaky Blinders last night:

peaky-blinders-cast.jpg

As ever, extremely stylised with grim, dark exteriors, very violent but compelling. Gang warfare in post-WWI Britain. The first series was set in Birmingham; they're branching out to London this series.

I've not seen Peaky Blinders but your post might prompt me to do so.

I agree about the probable necessity of Happy Valley subtitles for the American market. I've always been grateful for the fact that I can follow any British regional dialect and usually have only minimal trouble with the American ones. It seems, however, that quite a few of our American chums have genuine trouble with British regional. Given also the often documented disdain for subtitles among younger cinema goers, it rather freezes out a lot of excellent films., which is a shame.

Half way into the first season of Peaky Blinders and finding it very interesting and enjoyable.

Thanks for the timely reminder that I'd overlooked it.

Intruders BBC - final episode.

Pointless making any comments for those who haven't followed it.

I think it'll go on to become a cult classic.

I liked the fact that it never once spoon fed the viewer, you worked it out on it's own terms or switched off.

Ronald Reagan :alien: :alien:.

Intruders BBC - final episode.

Pointless making any comments for those who haven't followed it.

I think it'll go on to become a cult classic.

I liked the fact that it never once spoon fed the viewer, you worked it out on it's own terms or switched off.

Ronald Reagan :alien: :alien:.

Sorry for The Gipper he won't make it to season 2. He couldn't remember his trigger if his life depended on it.