What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

p01l9dz3.jpg

"The High Art of the Low Countries"

Episode 3: Van Gogh, Mondrian, Magritte and Delvaux (never heard of him!). Oh, and briefly, Herge.

Note to self - record those popular programmes about painting more often. Very much enjoyed the ones I've watched of late.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

00752188-538345_600.jpg?k=862551c9&pid=4

Seasons 2 and 3 of this series had their good moments, but Season 4 was just awful. Not one really funny moment in the entire season. It seemed like every one involved was trying oh so hard to be funny and every single joke just fell flat.

Different writing & directing staff on that season, also a different show-runner. However, all of them returned for a back to form season 5.

I think there are a few good episodes in season 4 (particularly the Sophie B. Hawkins dance), but season 5 is a marked improvement throughout and got the series back in the right direction. I'm really looking forward to season 6 which will air on Yahoo after the first of the year.

Edited by Shawn

Intruders E6 BBC America

The spirit of Lynch & Cronenberg is all over this.

I have to watch each episode twice, partly because I can't work it all out on the first viewing and partly because it's so potent and compelling.

Yes, there were a lot of Lost Highway inspired moments in the Whelan's house. In some ways it's a shame the pilot episode was so demanding on the viewers. I feel like I'm about the only one still eagerly awaiting every next episode. ;)

Watched the first episode of Gracepoint.

I had watched Broadchurch.

Anna Gunn is who attracted me to this remake.

Same male lead as in the British series. Is it my imagination or does he now have an "American" accent?

Never watched Dr. Who so have no idea what he sounded like in that show.

Watched the first episode of Gracepoint.

I had watched Broadchurch.

Anna Gunn is who attracted me to this remake.

Same male lead as in the British series. Is it my imagination or does he now have an "American" accent?

Never watched Dr. Who so have no idea what he sounded like in that show.

The remake might be interesting. The problem for me is that I thought the original was very over rated, despite good turns from Olivia Coleman and David Bradley.

If you want to see a real humdinger British cop procedural then look no further than the puzzlingly titled Happy Valley.

The Lathe Of Heaven - PBS (1980)

412MNP77TGL.jpg

Amateur hour production values and zipper suit type costumes aside, this is saved by a great story well told within the constraints of a tiny budget, making good use of 'brutalist' architecture and banks of flashing lights.

It made me want to read the novel again.

I agree with Kinuta. Broadchurch was OK but very predictable. 'Happy Valley' was utterly original and set in a place you don't normally find these sort of programmes.

The other one I'd rate big time from recent years is 'State of Play'.

I liked both seasons of Line Of Duty.

I agree with Kinuta. Broadchurch was OK but very predictable. 'Happy Valley' was utterly original and set in a place you don't normally find these sort of programmes.

Can't seem to find Happy Valley in a US format DVD.

I liked both seasons of Line Of Duty.

I got mixed up there. It was Line of Duty I meant. State of Play was a tremendous series from about 15 years back which I think got remade in the US more recently.

The Shadow Line was another strong series.

Happy Valley is on DVD in the UK. They might still be doing the translations for the subtitles for the American market!!!!

Watched the first part of the second series of Peaky Blinders last night:

peaky-blinders-cast.jpg

As ever, extremely stylised with grim, dark exteriors, very violent but compelling. Gang warfare in post-WWI Britain. The first series was set in Birmingham; they're branching out to London this series.

Edited by A Lark Ascending