What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Cattle on the road , sir. Won't be long." Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Spy_cold.jpg

Nice overcast Sunday afternoon film. I read the book many years ago but remembered virtually nothing. An interesting contrast to the high-gloss 'Night Manager' (not a criticism, just an observation). 

'Blue Eyes' has reach an electrifying state at moment; a very slow start but this one is well worth seeing through. Also enjoying 'Follow the Money' (5 episodes in).  

Marcella ending was a bit flat. Left us still in the dark about her role in moving the body (not to mention her actions in other blackout moments) - presumably left dangling for follow up series reasons. Also more than a bit implausible that she's allowed to waltz straight back onto the case after multiple infringements of procedure (including trying to suffocate a suspect!). Enjoyed it nonetheless.

Interesting the way all the male characters are made to look weak in one way or another. Nice bit of character reversal from traditional scripting.  

4026.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Workers or Shirkers? From a few weeks ago - Ian Hislop drawing parallels between 19thC attitudes to the 'poor' and those expressed today. The one where Ian Duncan Smith weeps because of his deep concern for the little people. 

140417112850847223.jpg

BBC4. A beautiful little programme about the role of gardens in the move from the centre of London to its fringes from the early 20thC. A celebration of ordinary people (and some not so ordinary) creating little outdoor worlds of their own (and some welcome ridicule of the self-anointed intelligentsia's demonisation of 'suburbia').

One of the nicest documentaries I've watched in a while.   

9 hours ago, jazzbo said:

What cha think? I really liked the first season. Was funny to see "Merlin" in a different role.

Only seen the first episode so far.  I'm interested enough to keep watching, though the subject matter is quite familiar.  

The Secret - ITV

http://www.miptv.com/RM/RM_Miptv/marketing/2016/images/programme/mip-drama-screenings/miptv-2016-mip-drama-screenings-the-secret-300x300.jpg?v=635951019018256181

Finished watching this true crime mini series.

It takes quite a lot to creep me out but James Nesbitt's portrayal of the evil double murderer gave me the chills.

The hapless, idiotic parter in crime was also convincingly acted.  Haunting and sickening, it reminded me of 10 Rillington Place.

3 hours ago, kinuta said:

The Secret - ITV

http://www.miptv.com/RM/RM_Miptv/marketing/2016/images/programme/mip-drama-screenings/miptv-2016-mip-drama-screenings-the-secret-300x300.jpg?v=635951019018256181

Finished watching this true crime mini series.

It takes quite a lot to creep me out but James Nesbitt's portrayal of the evil double murderer gave me the chills.

The hapless, idiotic parter in crime was also convincingly acted.  Haunting and sickening, it reminded me of 10 Rillington Place.

Watched the first two episodes but I don't think I'll take it further. Found it unpleasant - one of those series where I find myself asking 'why am I watching this?'

Tried a 6 part comedy series with Olivia Coleman called Flowers but had to give up after half an episode - about a oddball dysfunctional family. Seemed a bit Harry Potter without the spells (I'm not a Harry Potter follower so it's more how I imagine Harry Potter). However, before I get too 'look how unimpressed I am everybody' I started watching another comedy series called 'Love, Nina' about a young Leicester girl going to work as a nanny in London in house full of luvvies - that I did like. Like a lot of UK comedy, works off the clash of class. 

Finished 'Follow the Money' last night - excellent series all round. Some of the bad guys got their comeuppance, the nice people survived (I loved the hapless car mechanics) but there was enough 'worm in the bud' there to keep you unsettled - the key female character who you warmed to throughout yet who was up to her neck in the fraud; and the king pin and hit man who lived another day.

'Blue Eyes' reaches its conclusion this week - another winner from the Nordic lands (could have done without the rather graphic knifing in the last episode, however). Looks like there's another Danish thriller to follow it - "Dicte: 'Front Page News" .  Also "Magnifica 70" ["A stylish, sexy, South American series about desire and repression. Set in 1970, Brazil.] Music should be good at the very least! 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Daredevil - season 2 (Netflix).  Not quite up to the level of the first season, but still better than anything comics related on broadcast or cable.  They nicely set up the character of The Punisher for his own series. 

Edited by Shawn

HistoryConceptAlbum.JPG

"When Pop Went Epic: The Crazy World of the Concept Album". (BBC4)

Nice little documentary, mainly about the 60s/70s but also mentioning more recent examples (Lady Gaga, apparently). A bit superficial but enjoyable. I much prefer Rick Wakeman as a TV presenter to his records - he nicely takes the p**s out of his own grandiloquence in the 70s whilst still standing by the music he made. 

'Peaky Blinders' continues to enthral, constantly heading off down unexpected turns. Read yesterday it's been commissioned for two more series. Also 'The A Word' will have another series. BBC apparently really upping its drama focus as a way of meeting the 'distinctive' criteria arbitrarily demanded by the government. So maybe the recent 'crisis' has unwihittingdalely had positive consequences.      

A fairly good documentary about The Goon Show including interviews with the 3 men most associated with it Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers and Harry Secombe.  There's even an interview with the man who was the inspiration for the voice of Bluebottle (and he really did talk like that!).

Edited by duaneiac

511dUJcaXVL._SX522_.jpg

Episode 3 - Lol's attempted suicide. Harrowing. I thought I was getting an Episode 4 but it turned out to be out-takes and interviews - more interesting than I expected. Never realised it was shot in Sheffield. Surprised I've never bumped into the cast when I'm out getting wasted on a Saturday night. 

testament-of-youth-poster-300x225.jpg

OK film that kept me engaged but I get the impression it just skimmed the book. Hard to compare as I read it 35 years ago. I do remember a TV serialisation that had a profound effect on me - this just seemed like a rather sad story.

Last episode of 'Blue Eyes' - very much enjoyed the series but was confused by the ending. Got the gist that in the end everyone was compromised in the interest of their careers. But with so many political characters stretched over ten weeks I'd forgotten who was who so when names were mentioned I couldn't keep up with who was being referred to. 

Seems to be in the nature of many of these long series where things develop from episode to episode but when you stand back it's hard to see the narrative whole (very much the case with things like 'The Good Wife' (which I love) - assume they are written as they go along, picking up on strands as they emerge). Rather different from more taught three or four episode series ('Happy Valley' comes to mind).

Maybe multiple 13 episode series are the prog-rock of TV. Stand-alone 30 minute TV programmes must be just around the corner.  

Edited by A Lark Ascending