What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched half of the latest episode of Preacher and gave up on the series. I wanted to like it, especially because Ruth Negga is in it, but. . . .ultimately it doesn't do much for me.

Watched the latest Unreal, and am about to tackle the last two episodes of Houdini&Doyle.

8 hours ago, paul secor said:

dvd-a-wallander-mystery.JPG

Wallander: Series 1 - disc 3

I'm enjoying this much more than the British remake. Should have discovered it earlier.

Right.

Krister Henriksson  is Wallander.

Kenneth Branagh is a British actor pretending to be him. No comparison at all.

7 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I watched half of the latest episode of Preacher and gave up on the series. I wanted to like it, especially because Ruth Negga is in it, but. . . .ultimately it doesn't do much for me.

Watched the latest Unreal, and am about to tackle the last two episodes of Houdini&Doyle.

Me too, I gave up after the first episode.

I usually give dodgy shows the benefit of the doubt and watch at least two episodes before deciding.  Preacher was just awful.

On 7/5/2016 at 9:36 PM, kinuta said:

Krister Henriksson  is Wallander.

Kenneth Branagh is a British actor pretending to be him. No comparison at all.

I never took to Branagh's version; loved the Henriksson version. Though the books are even better than both.

Can't get into The Americans - I've watched five episodes and find the main characters creepy with rather cardboard cut-out true believer and doubter personas. More kung-fu'n gadgets (admittedly 80s gadgets) than I'd expected. I get the impression the series will evolve with their adventures tying in with the key Cold War events of the 80s. Will probably bale. 

p03wfdf8.jpg

New Blood (BBC 1)

Just watched the first two of this series about to end this week - really enjoyed them. Standard tale of corporate skull-duggery in the pharmaceutical industry with associated murders being investigated by a rooky detective and financial irregularity investigator. Quirky characters, oddball plot and some interesting camera work. 

Already looks rather old-fashioned - definitely not portraying the Britain June 23rd chose.  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Not much on UK TV at present after being nearly deluged in the winter/spring with outstanding drama - presumably the schedules are swept clean for the annual 'Great Summer of Sport' with the good stuff stored for the autumn.

Continuing to enjoy 'New Blood' though it's turned out different than expected - I thought it would be one story over 7 episodes but it's actually three with links between. More slapstick than I'd originally thought - Jonathan Creek than Line of Duty! But very entertaining. 

2 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Not much on UK TV at present after being nearly deluged in the winter/spring with outstanding drama - presumably the schedules are swept clean for the annual 'Great Summer of Sport' with the good stuff stored for the autumn.

Two outstanding items on BBC last week - the documentary about The Somme and the New Zealand natural history series starter.

Edited by sidewinder

13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Two outstanding items on BBC last week - the documentary about The Somme and the New Zealand natural history series starter.

I  was thinking more of drama - there seems to be a steady stream of good documentaries and fortunately they get recycled quickly. Expecting Michael Gove's 'Great Assassins of History' pretty soon - I fear he'll do a Portillo/Mellor in order to get into the limelight again. 

I have the Somme on the recorder. Wasn't aware of the natural history programme. Meant to record the Brian Cox thing too but forgot - might need to do a rapid catch up before it vanishes.  

Finished Season 1 of Mr. Robot. Was kind of unsure when it added they psycho-drama element to the hacker-drama already in place, but the way they left it all hanging at the very end pulled it all together for me. Now on to Season 2 catch up (hello, On Demand) and then real-time episode watching, hopefully.

I like a show where nothing that happens is impossible, even when it gets really out there. In fact, sometimes the more out there it gets, the realer it seems to me. So, kudos for Season 1, and here's to hope for Season 2, because it's not a documentary, somebody still needs to write the shit, and that's where things can go bad. If it goes to 3 seasons, uhhhhhh....nobody quits while they're ahead, which is kinda relevant to the theme of the show, so be ready for irony, eh?

Stranger Things (Netflix) 

stranger-things-netflix-trailer.jpg

Very enjoyable bit of early 80s nostalgia sci-fi/horror mash-up.  Imagine if Steven Spielberg and Stephen King had worked on a film together circa 1983.  

It's only 8 episodes and left me looking forward to the second season (already green-lit).  

Got caught up on what there's been of Season 2 of Mr. Robot..."ambitious" is putting it mildly. There's gonna need to be on helluva payoff, we'll see.

Oh, anybody else notice how Darlene wears those heart shaped glasses? Does that make her Darlene Love?

2nd episode of BBC The Somme: From Both Sides Of The Wire

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2016_07/5788a989be1c7_TheSommeTXCard.jpg.5c0fc21871343a3373f306321a8a58a2.jpg

My granddad, Fred fought at The Somme and had a scar across the top of his head to prove it.

The implications of the bullet or piece of shrapnel hitting him a cm or so lower are almost too much to grasp.

The series is excellent, recommended.

On July 27, 2016 at 6:32 AM, JSngry said:

Got caught up on what there's been of Season 2 of Mr. Robot..."ambitious" is putting it mildly. There's gonna need to be on helluva payoff, we'll see.

Oh, anybody else notice how Darlene wears those heart shaped glasses? Does that make her Darlene Love?

I'm watching this too - although I'm not sure what it all means.

Then I watch Queen Of The South which I understand completely!!

I figure that what it all means will be whatever they wrap it up with, which is why I hope it doesn't go on too long and they have to start getting really out there just to have a show.

Right now, what I think it all means is about the basic divided soul that we probably have about self vs all and how fucked up either one of those gets when the inability of either to effectively check the other is removed.

At least that's what I think. Being a work of commerce dstill in progress. it could land anywhere before it ends.