What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HGWT19.jpg

Season two....

If you had told me even 5 years ago how much I would like a Western like this, I would have laughed in your face! Laughed I say! Don't know what my thoughts were exactly about this, and other TV westerns in the 50's except that I didn't really have any...meh....well, took a chance on this show via netflix (Think you can only watch via DVD, they dropped streaming awhile back for it) after being very pleasantly surprised by the early half hour gunsmoke (someone made a good point that it was almost a noir western early on, in storyline, if not always appearance )

Didn't know how "nice" Paladin was, at least to people that didn't try to kill him...even then, he will often give them a 2nd chance.

Richard Boone seems very unappreciated these days...Gene Roddenberry wrote 2 dozen episodes, and Andrew V. McLaglen(victor's still alive and well son) directed roughly half of the episodes.

They can do most anything with his character, and often do....amazing the consistency of a show like this, how few even just mediocre shows were made when you realize they had to crank out 39 episodes in a year! And so often they filmed away from the studios...couldn't have been easy either .

It was funny, after James Gandolfini died, I heard on Brian Williams say on NBC, he was in a staggering 86 episodes over 6 seasons...and I thought, what would he think about Richard Boone being in 226 episodes in 6 seasons???

Edited by BERIGAN

HGWT19.jpg

Season two....

If you had told me even 5 years ago how much I would like a Western like this, I would have laughed in your face! Laughed I say! Don't know what my thoughts were exactly about this, and other TV westerns in the 50's except that I didn't really have any...meh....well, took a chance on this show via netflix (Think you can only watch via DVD, they dropped streaming awhile back for it) after being very pleasantly surprised by the early half hour gunsmoke (someone made a good point that it was almost a noir western early on, in storyline, if not always appearance )

Didn't know how "nice" Paladin was, at least to people that didn't try to kill him...even then, he will often give them a 2nd chance.

Richard Boone seems very unappreciated these days...Gene Roddenberry wrote 2 dozen episodes, and Andrew V. McLaglen(victor's still alive and well son) directed roughly half of the episodes.

They can do most anything with his character, and often do....amazing the consistency of a show like this, how few even just mediocre shows were made when you realize they had to crank out 39 episodes in a year! And so often they filmed away from the studios...couldn't have been easy either .

It was funny, after James Gandolfini died, I heard on Brian Williams say on NBC, he was in a staggering 86 episodes over 6 seasons...and I thought, what would he think about Richard Boone being in 226 episodes in 6 seasons???

Interesting critique. I have vague recollections of that show and have always thought I would like to see it again.

A few years ago I gave "Have Gun, Will Travel" a chance (in my case, I borrowed discs from a library) and had a similar reaction to you, Berigan. Surprisingly good show. Someday I should just buy the first three seasons. Boone was such a solid actor.

Lately I've been re-watching some favorite episodes of "Homicide," mainly from seasons 3 and 4 so far.

I'm a fan of Kevin Bacon's work and I think, he is excellent in this "cliche drama."

I continued to watch the series because I watch anything he does.

There are few truly original ideas and this series is no exception. It's fiction, not a documentary, so I treat it as entertainment, not fact.

Just because it's fiction is no excuse to serve pink slime, Bacon or no Bacon.

Not bad. ;)

Season 2, "The Killing" on Netflix.

This is much better than I thought it would be.

I highly recommend the whole series.

Yes, the third season is shaping up well too.

I hope so. What strikes me about the casting in this series is that they are all REAL seeming people.

The sub-plots are intriguing and I care about the characters. How often does that happen?

Good stuff.

I agree, jazzbo.

I wonder if they're getting enough viewers to have a 4th season.

Edited by patricia

Also watched the remake of The Bridge. There is no way to avoid comparing it to the original and the cross border US-Mexican scenario just didn't grab me at all. The lead lady cop and her Asperger's are directly copied from the original but seemed over acted and unconvincing .

More than both these points, the general feel of the show was unfocused and uninvolving, for me at least.

If the producers wanted to emulate the successful and interesting remake of The Killing they have misjudged imo.

I'd suggest watching the remake and then watching the original. :)

Also watched the remake of The Bridge. There is no way to avoid comparing it to the original and the cross border US-Mexican scenario just didn't grab me at all. The lead lady cop and her Asperger's are directly copied from the original but seemed over acted and unconvincing .

More than both these points, the general feel of the show was unfocused and uninvolving, for me at least.

If the producers wanted to emulate the successful and interesting remake of The Killing they have misjudged imo.

I'd suggest watching the remake and then watching the original. :)

No access to the original that I'm aware of.

Your perspective from Tokyo might be different than mine from the southwest US. :shrug[1]:

I thought Demian Bichir was really good.

Edited by jlhoots

51qckz17VYL.jpg

Started the 11 season box last August and just finished this week. I'll really miss it.

Wonderful the way they manage to send up the arty-farty pretensions of Frasier and Niles yet still keep them as characters you really care for.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

For those of you who may be curious about what Damian Lewis did, before he was Nick Broda in "Homeland", you might want to check out "Life." That was a series that ran two seasons in the '80s and his character was just as well rounded as is the one he is playing now.

LIFE. Check it out on Netflix. Worthwhile.

Picked up the boxes for all 3 series of this German masterpiece recently. Exceptional !

$(KGrHqV,!k0E6Bvy1i2VBOlk3(pSpw~~_35.JPG

Probably the TV series I've enjoyed most in the last ten or so years. I saw a fair bit of series 1 when it was first broadcast on TV in the 90s but only saw all 3 via DVD. I especially enjoyed series 2 with Maria's son emerging as a Stockhausen like figure in the turbulence of the 60s.

Picked up the boxes for all 3 series of this German masterpiece recently. Exceptional !

Probably the TV series I've enjoyed most in the last ten or so years. I saw a fair bit of series 1 when it was first broadcast on TV in the 90s but only saw all 3 via DVD. I especially enjoyed series 2 with Maria's son emerging as a Stockhausen like figure in the turbulence of the 60s.

Yeah, I saw all 3 series when they were broadcast over here and was able to view repeats on video for the whole of Series 1 when it was first broadcast. It will be nice to digest the whole thing again 'at leisure'. Series 1 in particular was an absolute highlight of 1980s television, along with 'Das Boot'. Superior to anything generated on these islands, for sure.

For anyone interested in these boxes - Fopp has them for £15 (Series 1 and 2) and £20 (Series 3). Fill your boots !

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah, I saw all 3 series when they were broadcast over here and was able to view repeats on video for the whole of Series 1 when it was first broadcast. It will be nice to digest the whole thing again 'at leisure'. Series 1 in particular was an absolute highlight of 1980s television, along with 'Das Boot'. Superior to anything generated on these islands, for sure.

For anyone interested in these boxes - Fopp has them for £15 (Series 1 and 2) and £20 (Series 3). Fill your boots !

Thanks, sidewinder. I might well indulge. That's a good investment.