What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a recommendation (I think) for those of you who have both a taste for pop-culture parody and a strong stomach. Over the past several days, I've watched the nine episodes of Sex House, a web show produced by The Onion which can be found on YouTube. (Search for "Sex House Episode 1.") Don't get excited - this is one of the least sexy things you'll ever watch, if you're brave enough to watch. It's a parody of sleazy reality TV shows - the premise is that three men and three women are put into a house with nothing to do except party and have sex. It's pretty funny - at first, anyway. Pretty soon it starts to get disturbing. Very little sex happens, and what does happen is kind of creepy. (You see about as much as you would see on a broadcast TV show.) There's lots of alcohol in the house, but very little food. Soon the "players" are malnourished, depressed, and desperate. And things go downhill from there.

The last couple of episodes are truly horrifying - they're not funny at all, except in some sort of outrageous, meta-humor way. But they're the logical conclusion to what has happened up to that point. By then you know the characters and... well, want them to survive.

All nine episodes will take you about an hour to watch, I think. If a reality TV show produced by Dante sounds fun to you, watch Sex House. If not, stay away. I'm worried that I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

Watched all the Sex House episodes again over the past couple of days - plus episode 10, a "reunion" show. The latter is kind of a cop-out, but the first nine episodes hold up well, and are recommended for those with strong stomachs. This YouTube-only show is funny, brilliant and horrifying.

HGWT19.jpg

Season two....

If you had told me even 5 years ago how much I would like a Western like this, I would have laughed in your face! Laughed I say! Don't know what my thoughts were exactly about this, and other TV westerns in the 50's except that I didn't really have any...meh....well, took a chance on this show via netflix (Think you can only watch via DVD, they dropped streaming awhile back for it) after being very pleasantly surprised by the early half hour gunsmoke (someone made a good point that it was almost a noir western early on, in storyline, if not always appearance )

Didn't know how "nice" Paladin was, at least to people that didn't try to kill him...even then, he will often give them a 2nd chance.

Richard Boone seems very unappreciated these days...Gene Roddenberry wrote 2 dozen episodes, and Andrew V. McLaglen(victor's still alive and well son) directed roughly half of the episodes.

They can do most anything with his character, and often do....amazing the consistency of a show like this, how few even just mediocre shows were made when you realize they had to crank out 39 episodes in a year! And so often they filmed away from the studios...couldn't have been easy either .

It was funny, after James Gandolfini died, I heard on Brian Williams say on NBC, he was in a staggering 86 episodes over 6 seasons...and I thought, what would he think about Richard Boone being in 226 episodes in 6 seasons???

Interesting critique. I have vague recollections of that show and have always thought I would like to see it again.

A few years ago I gave "Have Gun, Will Travel" a chance (in my case, I borrowed discs from a library) and had a similar reaction to you, Berigan. Surprisingly good show. Someday I should just buy the first three seasons. Boone was such a solid actor.

There is a fanbase here:

Paladin might now well be my favorite TV character ever.

Frank's Place, episode 20, "Cultural Exchange," and episode 22, "The King of Wall Street." Brilliant television. Recorded on film rather than tape, so that even my DVD burn from 20-year-old videotapes look great. Episode 20, which concerns an East African musician who defects in New Orleans in order to play jazz, features Dizzy Gillespie with Harold Land, Walter Davis, Jr., Al McKibbon, and Tootie Heath.

Orange Is The New Black - up to Episode 5 now...was totally ambivalent until the last few minutes of Episode 1, got more into it during 2, and felt the hooks going all in during all of 3. Still have some discomfort with several elements of the show (like, ok, prison, sad but happy, and ok white chick is uber cool w/everybody, I smell TOLERANCE and HIPNESS, if you know what I mean, because this Piper chick did a year and then booked out - pun more or less intended, and isn't that special?!?!?!) but hey, will be done with all 13 in another week or two, and will worry about that then, if ever.

Eight bucks a month. Between this and House Of Cards, streaming Netfix is a steal.

Broadchurch - 1st episode on BBCA

Looks like it'll be good.

I tivoed the first episode, but haven't watched it yet. Looking forward to it.

Just finished watching "Arrested Development" on Netflix and quite enjoyed it.

Managed to find both the "Forsyte Saga" dramatizations, both by the BBC, the first from 1967 and the recent one, featuring Damien Lewis [Homeland] from 2002. I watched the original back in the sixties and am curious as to how the later one compares.

Orange Is The New Black - up to Episode 5 now...was totally ambivalent until the last few minutes of Episode 1, got more into it during 2, and felt the hooks going all in during all of 3. Still have some discomfort with several elements of the show (like, ok, prison, sad but happy, and ok white chick is uber cool w/everybody, I smell TOLERANCE and HIPNESS, if you know what I mean, because this Piper chick did a year and then booked out - pun more or less intended, and isn't that special?!?!?!) but hey, will be done with all 13 in another week or two, and will worry about that then, if ever.

Eight bucks a month. Between this and House Of Cards, streaming Netfix is a steal.

Finished the season Saturday AM, in fact, and...things change by the time 13 is over...pretty interesting TV.

I will soon be watching Breaking Bad. Less than 24 hours now. Soon...

Same here. And the final two episodes from last season (which I missed) will be shown right before the season premier tonight.

Whoa! You also missed being spoiled about the ending of episode eight on the internet for a year?